My First Recording Using A Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Recording Using A Computer

I've been doing all of my recording for the past 20 years on my Roland VS-1880. While I knew my way around it, and loved the way it sounded, there were things about it that would kind of put me off from recording at times just because I didn't want to go through all of the hassles. Anyways, I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and Presonus Studio One 4 Professional about a year or so ago, and just never got it going because honestly, I was kind of scared to venture out of my comfort zone and take on learning a new way of recording. Well, that was a big mistake. I should have done this 15 years ago....lol. With all of the Black Friday sales, I upgraded to the Presonus Studio One 5 and also bought some Drum VSTs. I have officially left the world of finger tapping on my Boss-DR-770. Man, that thing sure did serve me well. Anyways, I present to you my first venture into the world of computer recording and software, and drum VSTs. I took off work this week, hence the name of the song.

Listen to Staycation by Jolly #np on #SoundCloud
    Last edited by JOLLY; 12-01-2020, 09:06 AM.

Sounds great Jolly!
    Really good guitar tones!
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

On my commute, I shall give this a listen as soon as I can!
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Sounds good! Love the riffs. Overall, the guitar could use a bit of presence around 3k, they sound a bit like they're under a blanket now. Maybe scoop some of the mud frequencies out of there as well. Levels sound good, though!

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
          Sounds good! Love the riffs. Overall, the guitar could use a bit of presence around 3k, they sound a bit like they're under a blanket now. Maybe scoop some of the mud frequencies out of there as well. Levels sound good, though!
          Just wanted to say that you always give good production advice. Very succinct and helpful.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
            I have officially left the world of finger tapping on my Boss-DR-770. Man, that thing sure did serve me well. Anyways, I present to you my first venture into the world of computer recording and software, and drum VSTs. I took off work this week, hence the name of the song.

https://soundcloud.com/atomic-punkk/staycation
            How was the drum track created? Was it done with a keyboard and mouse, tapped in with a controller, or was it some sort of MIDI loop?
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Just wanted to say that you always give good production advice. Very succinct and helpful.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                Sounds great Jolly!
                Really good guitar tones!
                Thanks, man.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                  Thank you, sir. You know, I kind of thought the guitars sounded a little darker than I was going for. They actually don't sound that dark without the bass. I think the bass tone I used is sucking some of the frequencies out and making them sound darker than they really are. Thanks for the advice!!

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

How was the drum track created? Was it done with a keyboard and mouse, tapped in with a controller, or was it some sort of MIDI loop?
                    It's EZ Drummer 2. The drum part with the toms was a loop I found in the catalog. The other drum parts are where I put the piece of the drum kit on separate tracks and then just copied and pasted it where I wanted it to be.

Comment

listening to it now. sounds good man. i dont think the guitars are too dark but im also listening at work with less than studio quality monitors (****ty speakers with no sub) but they are really thick. i like the bass too. which one is it?

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post

Thank you, sir. You know, I kind of thought the guitars sounded a little darker than I was going for. They actually don't sound that dark without the bass. I think the bass tone I used is sucking some of the frequencies out and making them sound darker than they really are. Thanks for the advice!!
                        Remember, frequencies are cumulative in the mix. I found that out years ago the hard way. If you have too much bass between the bass and guitar combined, it will darken the mix. That's where a 1/3 band graphic eq will really come in handy.

Comment

I feel like the drums, the snare in particular could use more reverb. Just enough to give it some depth.
                          And maybe it’s just me but I like the overall drum level to be just a hair lower.

Comment

Great mix, but fool with the low end eq to give it more definition. And don't mix the drums lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              Great mix, but fool with the low end eq to give it more definition. And don't mix the drums lower.

Just my opinion but they are too loud. At the very least the snare is too loud.

Comment

Working...
                              X