Eff it

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jordu.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	6033949
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Doing the melody, paraphrasing the melody, intro, coda, chords and inversions, arpeggios, scales, solos, different keys. Eff it. I don't think I'll run out of things to work on, ways to improve, or be in danger of sounding like Joe Pass any time soon.
    I bought them for you

Comment

Can we hear it?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The composer playing it.

I bought them for you

Comment

This is a solid approach to music. Hell, Nickleback decided to keep playing the same song over and over again a couple decades ago and they got pretty rich. :P
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Nice idea. I thought of taking this same approach to "Holy Wars" - just practicing it almost exclusively, until I could play it. That didn't last two days. I don't have the patience to scrutinize tabs, especially on songs that far beyond my capabilities.

Comment

Why not do your own thing?

Comment

^ Cuz I'm a jazz musician. That's what we do. Practice tunes and shed stuff related to playing tunes well.

Originally posted by ver View Post
                Nice idea. I thought of taking this same approach to "Holy Wars" - just practicing it almost exclusively, until I could play it. That didn't last two days. I don't have the patience to scrutinize tabs, especially on songs that far beyond my capabilities.
                I've tried that with epicly difficult tunes also and got defeated. This approach with this tune works for me because I know the tune and it isn't overly challenging. I can work on little bits at a time and improve. Plus it's fun and not too laborious.
                I bought them for you

Comment

Bass lines too lol. Position by position and string by string! Eff it.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Doing something like this is a fantastic way to level up in a lot of music skills! A trick one of my guitar teachers showed me is to transcribe the melody up one octave so it fits on top of the chord voicings.

Enjoy!
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I hadn't heard this tune, and I really like it. Great melody. Cool chords. It is a winner.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ver View Post
                        Here's an example of a guy who did not wisely (as you did) self-correct, reassess and change course after a short period of unproductive effort. He's says now he can do it pretty-close (i.e. still not perfectly) but after he worked at for 22 years (!) I don't think any song is worth that degree of effort. At least, to keep working at to nail perfectly. I would have settled long before for a way to fake it that I could live with.

But somewhat to this guy's credit, the songwriter himself (Robert Fripp) is on record as saying this song "Fracture" is "impossible to play".

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I hadn't heard this tune, and I really like it. Great melody. Cool chords. It is a winner.
                          Woohoo!
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            The composer playing it.

I've never heard this song before either.

But now that i have, i suspect the band Phish was influenced by the melody and rhythm in the repeating section of this song that has the pauses/accents, when they crafted one of the key riffs in their song "Stash".

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-03-2020, 10:47 AM.
                            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
                            X