banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeedback for my jam-along Youtube video approach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeedback for my jam-along Youtube video approach?

Hey everybody,

I've completed and posted to YouTube the first in what I hope are many to come, videos of me jamming along to favorite songs of mine.

I want to keep the technical approach simple where possible. So this first one was recorded using the built-in mic of my Samsung Galaxy S9 phone, as part of the native Video recording app on that same phone. I then did some minimalistic editing of the visual content in the Video Shop app, but didn't feel the need to edit the recorded audio part.

The performance and recording format was, the video software of my phone recording while I played along to a MP3, with both my guitar sound and the MP3 being fed into separate channela of my powered PA mixer, then out into the room via a single PA cabinet which features a horn and a 15" woofer.

It definitely isn't "hi-fi" sounding, but I still think "good enough" for the intent of my goal. However, I would like to get some feedback about the audio quality to understand if the consensus is that the audio quality needs to be upped somehow.

Thanks
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-13-2020, 06:52 PM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

I like the idea. I think the sound quality sounds like a phone mic usually does- that 'tunnel' kinda sound. I bet if you had an audio interface to record to, *then* sync that up to the video, it would be much cleaner, and easier to hear the details.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think the audio's fine for just "playing along" in the sense that I can follow everything perfectly. Frankly I prefer "in the room" -type gear/amp demo's etc where it's just the guy jamming out in front of the amp without a ton of studio bull**** going on. It definitly gives me a better idea of the actual tone of the amp in a room...

As for the play-along video thing. People will probably appreciate what Mincer suggested more 'cause that's how it's usually done on YT these days. As far as I'm concerned if I can hear what's going on, that's what counts. Good job.

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Sure, there is valid points either way. It depends what your goal is. If you want to get lots of views, a more serious production might be needed. But honestly, we don't need anymore slickly produced gear demo-type videos. Your idea of a play-along works well.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
          I think the audio's fine for just "playing along" in the sense that I can follow everything perfectly. Frankly I prefer "in the room" -type gear/amp demo's etc where it's just the guy jamming out in front of the amp without a ton of studio bull**** going on. It definitly gives me a better idea of the actual tone of the amp in a room...

As for the play-along video thing. People will probably appreciate what Mincer suggested more 'cause that's how it's usually done on YT these days. As far as I'm concerned if I can hear what's going on, that's what counts. Good job.

Thanks!
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I like the idea. I think the sound quality sounds like a phone mic usually does- that 'tunnel' kinda sound. I bet if you had an audio interface to record to, *then* sync that up to the video, it would be much cleaner, and easier to hear the details.
            Thanks!

Comment

Ok, so I am going to look into if there are any omni-directional, budget-friendly, battery-powered microphones on the market that I can capture the room audio on, and line-in to the audio-in jack of my Android phone. Which is running Android OS Version 10, btw. Anyone got recommendations for some microphones like this? Or know if this will even work on a Android phone?

Comment

Just had an alternate idea that - if it will work - should provide better audio quality:

use my AKG Perception 420 microphone run into either A) the Monitor amp of my PA and out to the phone on some isolated Aux Send lineout, or if the PA doesn't have that isolated send option, then B) run that microphpne into my keyboard amp, and send from my keyboard amp into the phone. In either option, the lineout to the phone ends with a 1/4" male to 3.5 mm male adaptor.
                Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-14-2020, 05:38 PM.

Comment

So, all of the audio is coming out of the PA?
                  I would suggest getting one of the Zoom Q series video recorders. It has built-in condenser mics for the sound and you don't have to try to sync audio to video. It has a few different gain settings too. Pretty sure that it plays back in QuickTime. Don't know how compatible it is with other editing programs though.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    So, all of the audio is coming out of the PA?
                    I would suggest getting one of the Zoom Q series video recorders. It has built-in condenser mics for the sound and you don't have to try to sync audio to video. It has a few different gain settings too. Pretty sure that it plays back in QuickTime. Don't know how compatible it is with other editing programs though.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                    Yes, all sounds coming out of the PA. I'll convert over to using a PC for video and audio recording but I have to build it first (decided I want to build one vs purchase), so I need to make the PA and smartphone work for the time-being. Will look into the Zoom Q, thanks.

Tonight I did some online esearche and experimented w trying to record into the phone using a line-in to the phone's audio-in jack but could not get the phone to record that incoming signal. So that method seems like a dead-end.

Edit: This morning, I tested recording a video on my phone with my headset w built in mic plugged into the audio-in jack of the phone, and the phone did record my audio from that input. So it's possible. I just need to figure out the correct TRRS adaptor piece to convert the RCA lineout from an amp that has feeding into it, a dynamic mic I will be using to record the live performance in the room.
                    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-15-2020, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Tonight I re-recorded it using an app called Dolby On, which provides audio tweaking options whereas the basic camera I used the first time did not. I also strived to make my guitar tone a little more prominent in the mix, based on some feedback I got from a friend.

So, i'm not sure the outcome is necessarily better than the first recording.

What do you fine folks think?

Also, I placed an order for a special adaptor I'll need to be able to line an audio feed into my phone, that the phone can record, for an upcoming 3rd way of doing these recordings.

Comment

As an alternative solution, you can separate the audio and video (I believe most simple freeware audio editors can do that, I used Open Shot for that with success), tweak the audio in your DAW and re-sync it to the vid. If you're not looking for "production" value, but just playalong value and are a complete hack at audio stuff like I am, that's the most budget friendly and easy solution I can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                          As an alternative solution, you can separate the audio and video (I believe most simple freeware audio editors can do that, I used Open Shot for that with success), tweak the audio in your DAW and re-sync it to the vid. If you're not looking for "production" value, but just playalong value and are a complete hack at audio stuff like I am, that's the most budget friendly and easy solution I can think of.
                          Good point. I've been concentrating on solutions that allow me to record the audio with a bonafide microphone that is higher quality and more appropriate to recording loud live music than a phone's built-in mic, but if that turns out not feasible, then yes, the audio quality could be improved via wave editor type apps.

Comment

Working...
                          X