banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to get music into my computer these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to get music into my computer these days?

Like in the title . . . I'm thinking of building a new PC for recording stuff (probably a Windows 10 box - I've had issues with recording in Linux that I'd rather not revisit), and the M-Audio Delta 44 that I've been using forever is getting a little long in the tooth. M-Audio dropped driver support for recording more than two channels at a time with it when we moved from Windows XP to WIndows 7 . . . and while it doesn't come up often, every once in a while I want to do 4 channel recording.

My setup basically consists of two 2-channel preamps (an FMR RNP and an Aphex 207) that I'm very comfortable using so I don't really need anything with built-in preamps - I need something with at least 4 inputs though. Everything's running from my preamps to the Delta 44 with TRS cables at the moment, so I'd prefer something that can use them as well rather than buy new XLR cables too if being really picky.

As far as playback, I currently switch back and forth between stereo outs for the monitors and headphones all the time - and need to preserve that functionality. I might add a second set of monitors in the future, so 6 outs/3 stereo outs would be nice.

What's out there that's awesome sounding and not ridiculously expensive that'll do what I need? Basically haven't paid attention to anything in the home recording field since the delta 44 was released a gazillion years ago, so I need some help on this. :P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

I use a Focusrite Scarlett Solo for recording / silent practice using AmpliTube5, and playback on my PC but there are other models with a lot more inputs and outputs that might work well for you.

https://store.focusrite.com/en-gb/ca...usb-interfaces
    Last edited by ErikH; 02-23-2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Are there any latency issues with these newer USB devices? I remember that that was a real problem back in the day, and part of the reason I ended up going with a PCI card interface last time.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have no latency issues at all with my setup, and I'm running it in to a MS Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10. There's a control panel that gets installed that you can adjust to get the least amount, if any, latency. With USB 3 these days, you shouldn't have an problems. And it gets powered through the USB port as well.

Comment

Do you mind if I ask what the issues with Linux were, and what distro?

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
            Do you mind if I ask what the issues with Linux were, and what distro?
            The last time I switched over to Ubuntu about three years ago there were huge problems with getting multiple different sound cards to work and play nicely together. At the time I was getting my inputs from the Delta 44 and switching between that as well as using a second audio card to output sound (so I could quickly switch between different headphones without having to stop and plug/unplug things), and in Ubuntu I could choose to use one sound card or the other. Never both. There were also some strange latency issues that cropped up now and again that just didn't exist when switching back to windows (although I've gone through some rather advanced methods of disabling windows update and search indexing to get things to this point).

I'm sure things have improved since then and I'll probably go back and give it another try at some point when I have some spare time to waste.

Comment

Thanks. I have just installed Ubuntu studio recently with the intention of playing around more than anything else. Curious it might be something that would affect me.

I don't want to use my work laptop (it's already got enough crap even if I did) and my own laptop is older. Not sure how well it will hold up, but I don't expect to be very demanding on resources so hoping it should hold up ok.

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
                Thanks. I have just installed Ubuntu studio recently with the intention of playing around more than anything else. Curious it might be something that would affect me.

I don't want to use my work laptop (it's already got enough crap even if I did) and my own laptop is older. Not sure how well it will hold up, but I don't expect to be very demanding on resources so hoping it should hold up ok.
                If you can get everything set up and running the way that you like, you're golden. In general I've found Linux distros to be rock solid stable once they're working. The problem is sometimes you need to be able to write your own drivers to get to that point. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                  Lol, I have a Delta 44 in a big XP build from a few years back. I never thought I would be happy with a Scarlett plugged into a laptop, but here I am.
                  I've got mine running in to an old MS Surface Pro 3.

Comment

Working...
                  X