Play a song badly or not at all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BADLY!!

Poor music, is better than no music, IMHO .

-E ♪
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

Might as well getting stuck in 12-bar blues for that matter. I think he needs to first get comfortable being uncomfortable, in order to improve.
      What a help you are

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        I said "If needed". YMMV.
        Just sayin’

Comment

By the way - also consider this...

Playing it exactly the same (Technique and note choice) is one way to look at it.
          - I saw Night Ranger play "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" and the guitar player played it exactly as Jeff Watson would. It was meh.
          - I have seen numerous bands tap the same notes out play in different positions. Sounded great.

Playing the same notes anyway you can is sometimes an option
          - Assuming the technique doesn't matter. It usually doesn't. Usually.
          - Eruption isn't gonna fly without tapping.

Playing something else well is also an option.
          - There are a lot of things that playing something else will be just fine. Just play it in key, in time, and perhaps rhythmically similar.
          - Randy Rhoads varied what he played A LOT live.
          - Lynch never really plays his recorded solos as on record

There are some things you shouldn't ever mess with pitch or rhythm
          - Intro to Johnny Be Goode...every note, as played, no excuses.

Playing something Bad, whether exactly as originally played, the same notes played, or something, "in the style of" or even totally different is never an option.

Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I agree with Ace, I think... Work out something that sounds good that you can play, but you can also have a goal of working up to playing the real thing. As he mentioned, if you work out a part, it needs to be in the right key, rhythmically similar if possible, at least in time, even if half the speed. I would often throw a scalar run where the string skipping part is in the end, mostly because I was lazy and didn't spend the time to figure it out note for note. If we bring the song back, I may, or may not, invest the time to learn it...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              By the way - also consider this...

Playing it exactly the same (Technique and note choice) is one way to look at it.
              - I saw Night Ranger play "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" and the guitar player played it exactly as Jeff Watson would. It was meh.
              - I have seen numerous bands tap the same notes out play in different positions. Sounded great.

Playing the same notes anyway you can is sometimes an option
              - Assuming the technique doesn't matter. It usually doesn't. Usually.
              - Eruption isn't gonna fly without tapping.

Playing something else well is also an option.
              - There are a lot of things that playing something else will be just fine. Just play it in key, in time, and perhaps rhythmically similar.
              - Randy Rhoads varied what he played A LOT live.
              - Lynch never really plays his recorded solos as on record

There are some things you shouldn't ever mess with pitch or rhythm
              - Intro to Johnny Be Goode...every note, as played, no excuses.

Playing something Bad, whether exactly as originally played, the same notes played, or something, "in the style of" or even totally different is never an option.

This is generally my outlook as well.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                As he mentioned, if you work out a part, it needs to be in the right key, rhythmically similar if possible, at least in time, even if half the speed.
                Randy Rhoads often played the run at the end of the solo in Crazy Train at half speed / half the notes. IUt sounds like he picked up the lick somewhere in the middle of the run. Probably the second octave on. The recorded one is a blaze of hammer ons.

Here is the studio: 2:50

But listen to this: 1:17

Last edited by Aceman; 04-15-2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I would work it in sections and learn as much as I could that way. The parts that are more difficult I would hit the key notes in their proper place and play less and let it breathe. Hold the notes, bend them, shake them nicely, it could really open things up and allow things to breathe. Anytime you can throw a volume swell in there could be nice as well. Htting the key notes and utilizing various dynamics can go a long way.
                  The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Or, just select a 23 second reverb on a Big Sky and hit any notes you want.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      Ouch! Saucy Dave, saucy indeed!!!

Comment

Warren Haynes complained that he would have to play One Way Out note for notes as the Filmore recording even though Duane played it differently every night. Hit the recognizable licks that is all you need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                          Warren Haynes complained that he would have to play One Way Out note for notes as the Filmore recording even though Duane played it differently every night. Hit the recognizable licks that is all you need to do.
                          Yeah, you don't tell a player like that to hold back. Same with Jimmy Herring. They went on to better pastures.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Well. since you opened this line of thinking..... how about a giant feedback swell with some serious rock moves with your back to the audience...

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I agree with what seems to be the consensus here.
                              Work out something that is easier to play, sounds good and fits into the song well. Doesn't have to be complex.

If you want to learn the actual part note for note, plan on doing it longer term.
                              Practice way slower than actual speed, to a metronome where you can play it comfortably and accurately. When you are consistently and reliably getting it spot on repeatedly, speed up bit by bit (don't rush this).

I find this guy a little annoying, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, but he has some very useful advice nevertheless:
                              Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Well. since you opened this line of thinking..... how about a giant feedback swell with some serious rock moves with your back to the audience...
                                Not dramatic enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X