New reference headphone setup: Neve + Neumann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New reference headphone setup: Neve + Neumann

After a lot of reading and research, I pulled the trigger on a reference headphone setup: a Rupert Neve RNHP and pair of Neumann NDH 20s.
    Before taking the Neumanns out of the box I did a series of A/B tests just using the RNHP vs the headphone output of the 18i20. While the difference was noticeable, it also wasn’t night and day. The RNHP is neutral sounding with exceptional imaging and speed and I could detect no distortion on it. Comparatively, the 18i20s have a ‘lumpy’ frequency response. This was all done on my workhorse ATH-50x’s.

Then I pulled out the NDH 20s. This will take a bit to get used to. They are utterly neutral. It’s like the sound of nothing. There’s zero hype here.

The RNHP/NDH 20 combo is smooth, undistorted, uncolored by hype, and absolutely reference quality. I now know what powered monitors to get!

if you already have cans you love, I can wholeheartedly recommend the RNHP. It’s fast and smooth, with plenty of detail and LF control. It actually tightens up the rhythm of the music you’re listening to without getting anemic.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	80820099-2B93-41CC-ABEB-E6588F25F4F4.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	6071945

Comment

very cool... man, headphone only mixing can be super challenging to dial in -but that's a serious setup

.... I'd be curious how you feel over time with that setup and if you think you can forego nearfields entirely for a release
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Good question, I’ll let you know!

Comment

Working...
        X