Scarlett 2i2 up and running!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarlett 2i2 up and running!

I have finally taken a step into the 'present' of modern recording. Ordered a Scarlett 2i2, and a set of studio motor headphones.

Tonight I ran an XLR from my Tubemeister 18 straight into the scarlet and into Garageband. TOTAL success at getting something much much closer to what a guitar should sound like. Very excited about this.

Next step will be to put a 57 on a speaker cab see how things go!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Nice. I have Scarlett Solo. An excellent interface for my needs. But I tend to use AmpliTube on my computer when practicing rather than mic'ing up an amp. Works perfect for late night sessions.

Comment

Good choice! I have a 2i2 and solo for laptop recording, and an 18i20/OctoPre for desktop work.

Which headphones did you get? Decent headphone monitoring can make a world of difference!
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Samson SR860's for no particular reason. They were shown in a bundle I saw at some point. Way better than my crappy shorting 10+ year old Rolands!

Comment

Nice! Happy recording!

Comment

Gonna try Mic input tonight!!!

Comment

The 2i2 has clean mic pres.

Comment

I was debating which audio interface to get recently too. The Focusrite stuff is very decent - the scarlett and clarett were both top contenders. There were two things I didn't like about both of them that probably don't matter for most other people:
                - they don't play well with headphones with an impedance of 32 - there's noticeable distortion. Seemed fine with 300 and 600 ohm phones though.
                - I didn't like the LED ring input monitoring
                Pretty much everything else was top of the line though.

(I ended up with the Motu M4. I like the I/O monitoring a lot better on it, and it seems to get along better with my headphones.)
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  - they don't play well with headphones with an impedance of 32 - there's noticeable distortion. Seemed fine with 300 and 600 ohm phones though.
                  You know that doesn't make any sense, right?

(I ended up with the Motu M4. I like the I/O monitoring a lot better on it, and it seems to get along better with my headphones.)
                  MotU makes great interfaces and MIDI tools!

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post

He's an engineer. It makes sense to him. That's all that matters.

Comment

And just recorded with a Share 58. Holy crap that was easy!!!

Really, really should have got this Scarlett thingy a long time ago!!!

Comment

Nice!

I'm thinking about a scarlett solo (at least) too. Don't mind my Behringer UMC202hd, it gets the job done... but I think the Scarlett might have warmer/sweeter sounding pre's...
                        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Try the amp models in GarageBand. I record direct into Logic and use the effects and amp models. They work great. Haven’t had the need to mic an amp or use external gear.

The nice part about amp plugins is it’s like re-amping. You can go in later and change the sound.

All the guitar and bass tones here are the stock plugins in Logic. The guitar is a Parker P-38 with my own pickups. The bass is an ‘87 Ibanez SR-885LE with my neodymium pickups. Recorded into a Behringer UMC22 interface. The drums are the Logic drummer! His name is Kyle.

Listen to Red Skies, Green Eyes (Instrumental) by RavenMoon #np on #SoundCloud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                            Nice!

I'm thinking about a scarlett solo (at least) too. Don't mind my Behringer UMC202hd, it gets the job done... but I think the Scarlett might have warmer/sweeter sounding pre's...
                            The Behringer interfaces sound great. I have the UMC22 with the U-PHORIA mic pre. The Focusrite is not any better. I’ve used them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                              That's what I thought too, but it's what my measurements and listening showed. Above 100 mW of power, with a 32 ohm load there's audible distortion. This doesn't happen with a 300 or 600 ohm headphone so it doesn't seem to be an issue of the interface running out of juice - there's something strange going on in the design of the headphone output on this interface. It's not really a huge knock on it as - the interface is pretty close to the best on the market in every other measurement I took, and if you don't use lower impedance headphones at volume you won't hear the issue. But there's something funny going in there.

I sent back the unit that I had, but I wish I'd tried with an 8 ohm headphone to see if it did the same thing or if the anomaly was specific to 32 ohms for some reason..
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X