banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soundcloud Sucks (Adds Compression To Clips)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundcloud Sucks (Adds Compression To Clips)

I've noticed lately with my recent polished (fully compressed/limited) clips that Soundcloud is adding even more compression with their garbage whatever player or upload routine.

F'n Idiots.

(this is verified)
    Last edited by LLL; 06-10-2021, 08:17 PM.

I would think any service like Soundcloud will do that. I've not noticed it on sites like Bandcamp, though.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, I would think they would be compressing the files to play across the interwebs. Definitely not going to stream audiophile quality from any service.

Comment

I expect some compression, but it's really bad with a mostly polished clip.

This doesn't sound like typical hosting file compression or lower quality mp3 format, it actually sounds like a big slathering of audio compression on top of what has already been compressed/limited.

Interesting thing is I didn't notice it until I started really polishing my clips (recently, with my Apollo acquisition).

Years before, no problem - but I did a very basic limiter setup.

So, I either gotta not polish my clips (not bloody likely), or go for a lower LUFS when limiting.
        Last edited by LLL; 06-11-2021, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Yep looks like -14 LUFS is the recommended. I was doing -9 LUFS (CD)

Comment

https://www.loudnesspenalty.com is your friend. It’s a really good tool for making sure your mix gets out there unscathed. I think SoundCloud’s audio codec is trash, personally, but I do have a premium account because it’s a very easy way to get your music to other people.

Do you frequent TGP or SOS, LLL? I spend more time on SOS than SDUGF these days, and these types of topics will get far greater traction there than here, with only a handful of members interested in this sort of stuff. It’s a bit of an echo chamber here as a result. I’m not a fan of TGP, but it’s wildly popular. It has a lot of ‘internet wisdom’ based on folks just blindly quoting other folks, I find SOS has more actual engineers who make their living engineering that post, but I could be mistaken about TGP, too.
            Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 06-12-2021, 05:44 AM.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Search YouTube - mastering engineers have been mastering for streaming at -14 LUFS for a while - on the upside, it’s having a positive effect on the loudness wars - on the downside, it can compress tracks that are mastered hotter. I’m currently aiming my masters at -12 LUFS as I haven’t burned anything to CD for years.

Comment

You have to weigh LUFS v average Peak. Either measurement in isolation doesn’t tell you much.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

You should set up your studio upload site for the recording connoisseur.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                  X