Don't want to get old? Die young.
    You're only as old as you feel,,,,,or is it act? lol

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

You're only as old as you feel,,,,,or is it act? lol
      Some music is worth sitting for.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Our other guitar player uses one like store cashiers have. He likes it.

Second comment - this is very potentially a posture/strength issue. Standing static on heels, locking knees, spine bent....could be a lot of not-good physical things going on there...
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Pretty much this (note Fripp sitting far right, top):

A heady academic exercise. I'm having music school flashbacks. Which singer is that?
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I love playing guitar while sitting. Vastly prefer it over standing, and strongly considering sitting for the looper shows I'm booking... but then, image is not a concern with this project. It is for others, and the audience expects performers to stand.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

For looping - sitting down is probably best.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                For looping - sitting down is probably best.
                I'd have to agree, but this does depend on the kind of looping you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Charvel1975 View Post
                  Hello everyone, so the cover band I'm in we do long shows and I believe it is sciatica and my lower back and left leg, sometimes both legs, get in extreme pain and sometimes completely numb when playing out or rehearsals and I was going to get an Anti Fatigue Mat and wanted your input as I'm looking to get one this week because we have shows next Tuesday and Saturday. I play guitar and have in front of me a pedalboard, not too large and wedge floor monitor and then my mic stand is usually placed off to the front side of my monitor.

Anyone have experience with these and what size, brand, material, etc do you recommend? Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
                  The symptoms you describe are *potentially* not sciatica but a disc in your lower back that is bulging and close to rupturing. I know because it happened to me in 2018. If the disc ruptures, you will be off your feet for months and in extreme constant pain while it heals. So you want to avoid this situation and get yourself to an orthopedist ASAP who will do X-rays, authorize an MRI as needed to confirm, and advise you on a regemin of physical therapy.

Additionally, this is the cushion mat that I bought multiples of for use in my house and office because of this back problem.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01B868D...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I also no longer play guitars on a strap that weigh more than 7.5 lbs because of my back issue. If your current guitar is heavier than that, you should see if using a liter weight guitar brings relief.

Also it should go without saying that if a cushion mat and lite weight guitar do not alleviate the discomfort symptoms you described, than you need to stop that activity until you figure out how to do the activity without that discomfort occuring
                  Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 08-05-2021, 06:42 AM.
                  Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

There are also straps that distribute weight across 2 shoulders. I haven't used them, but a bassist I've worked with had a very heavy 6 string, and used one of these straps made by Gruv Gear.

Comment

what are you wearing for shoes, You can not expect to be standing out there for three hours in cargo shorts and flip-flops and being comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        what are you wearing for shoes, You can not expect to be standing out there for three hours in cargo shorts and flip-flops and being comfortable.
                        Unless it's a really good pair of flip flops.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                          What's wrong with cargo shorts?
                          Well, when you keep a bunch of stuff in your pockets, like spare sets of strings, extra picks, a set of hex keys, screw drivers, snacks, spare magazines and a BUG, they can start to get a little heavy after a few sets.

Comment

I don't recommend you stand on a soft mat, there's a big drawback, when you don't stand of a solid surface your brain works overtime on balance creating real mental fatigue over time. It'a real thing when you body is constantly adjusting on a soft surface.

Instead I recommend to wear good shoes and sit down during strategic songs (ballads maybe?) -also exercising to strengthen your core.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                              I don't recommend you stand on a soft mat, there's a big drawback, when you don't stand of a solid surface your brain works overtime on balance creating real mental fatigue over time. It'a real thing when you body is constantly adjusting on a soft surface.

Instead I recommend to wear good shoes and sit down during strategic songs (ballads maybe?) -also exercising to strengthen your core.
                              Get a bosu ball and practice standing on it. That should certainly strengthen your core.

Comment

I have a very thick, 2'x3' oriental rug that provides a lot of cushion without being too spongy. Paired with Doc Martens, I could stand there all day without feeling it. Plus, it really ties the stage together.

Comment

Working...
                                X