How tf do I use a limiter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How tf do I use a limiter?

I can't figure out how to chop off a few peaks to prevent clipping without compressing everything else. I'm in Reaper.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 08-22-2021, 02:41 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

If you just want to trim the peaks go for a fast attack and fast release. Also set the threshold as high as possible
    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Ok thanks. I will try. I added every possible limiter in Reaper, fiddled with every one of them and couldn't get it to work. It might help if I understand the terms tho so thanks.
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        I can't figure out how to chop off a few peaks to prevent clipping without compressing everything else. I'm in Reaper.
        Watch this vid.

Although you probably don't have this plugin (fabfilter L2), the concepts are the same.

Comment

Always the option of doing it manually. Engineers used to ride the faders in real time. Nowadays you can go in to your waveform and draw an automated volume drop at your peaks. A lot of DAWs will let you copy and paste automation curves too to save you time.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Ok so I got something to work. I just used the compressor and set the ratio to infinite meaning it just chops it off right? Then I had to lower the threshold to the point where it hits the peaks. Is this right? I had to set it pretty low for it to take effect. If I set threshold correctly will it only compress the peaks and not the whole thing? Let me know if this is correct. I also don't really understand the other parameters, so if you could explain those to me that would be a big help, thx.

I found this page with brief definitions of each parameter but it's still vague to me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Captura.PNG Views:	0 Size:	38.0 KB ID:	6106256
            Last edited by Clint 55; 08-23-2021, 07:14 PM.
            I bought them for you

Comment

Well I think I'm getting it figured out.
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by dotsdad View Post
                If you just want to trim the peaks go for a fast attack and fast release. Also set the threshold as high as possible
                This makes sense to me now.
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  Ok so I got something to work. I just used the compressor and set the ratio to infinite meaning it just chops it off right? Then I had to lower the threshold to the point where it hits the peaks. Is this right? I had to set it pretty low for it to take effect. If I set threshold correctly will it only compress the peaks and not the whole thing? Let me know if this is correct. I also don't really understand the other parameters, so if you could explain those to me that would be a big help, thx.

I found this page with brief definitions of each parameter but it's still vague to me.

Click image for larger version Name:	Captura.PNG Views:	0 Size:	38.0 KB ID:	6106256
                  A brick-wall limiter typically would have the threshold at unity (0db), infinite ratio, little to no attack, and the release might be longer than 100ms. You still might need a small amount of 'knee' and/or attack time for it to sound natural. Hard cutting of all peaks tends to sound weird and unnatural. If it's just a few peaks that are distorting or poking out, then just automating pulling down the volume as previously mentioned would be a better option than treating the whole track just for a few specific problem spots.

Comment

So now I've learned how to limit with a compressor or just drag down individual problem spots. Thanks.
                    Last edited by Clint 55; 08-24-2021, 11:54 AM.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Not familiar with Reaper. You should be able to tweak any frequencies with surgical precision in any DAW,even the free ones. Parametric eq is your friend if compression is out of the question

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                        Always the option of doing it manually. Engineers used to ride the faders in real time. Nowadays you can go in to your waveform and draw an automated volume drop at your peaks. A lot of DAWs will let you copy and paste automation curves too to save you time.
                        I've found myself doing this on occasion, it's a great alternative to limiting and tends to sound more natural.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I adjust my levels pretty well when I'm recording so I generally only have a few spikes to chop off. Manual seems to work perfect for this.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                          X