Roy Clark & Gatemouth Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Clark & Gatemouth Brown

The great Roy Clark and Gatemouth Brown once won a Grammy for their album Making Music, which was cut live in a Tulsa studio - mostly first takes. Gatemouth was on Hee-Haw frequently with Roy and here they are playing the Duke Ellington classic Take the A Train.

Roy Clark & Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown with Leon Rhodes - YouTube

Believe it or not, I got to play that Firebird once - still tuned in open D. His band was playing here in Wichita and a pal was running sound. He invited me along since he knew I love Gatemouth. So while he was setting levels at the board, I was onstage strumming that old Gibson. Gatemouth and the band told us to do the soundcheck while they went to get supper before the show. Small, cheap thrill for me to play a hero's axe!
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

That was one hell of a pedal steel solo!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Everyone on that stage was a monster. Leon Rhodes (the 3rd guitarist) played with the Texas Troubadours for many years - as well as with many other country and jazz artists. He played 4 or 5 instruments, and was even a guitar maker with 2 different companies.

If you can find it on YT, listen to the whole album - it's a real treat.

Comment

That was cool. I hear more notes coming out of Gatemouth than it looks like his hands are playing. Still can't figure out how he does it.

(These days I could do without the phasor on all the guitars, but I also recall the groovy 70's pretty well, so, there it is.)

Comment

He had an MXR Phase 90 running all the time in the chain right ahead of his Fender Twin. One cord - he switched between his Firebird, a Gibson mandolin, and a beat up old violin. He even played harmonica. Sounded fantastic singlng or playing. He had a long history of playing jazz, blues, and country.
          Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown - Wikipedia

Comment

I saw Gate up close at a blues show in a tent in the sticks near Tallahasse. The man just lived, breathed and oozed music.

My favorite Blues player period ever. Not that he liked being called that.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

My favorite Blues player period ever. Not that he liked being called that.
              Gate considered himself a jazz musician overall - at least I get that impression from reading and hearing many of his interviews.

My Dad loved Gatemouth and T-Bone Walker, and turned me onto both of them in my teen years. I turned him onto Howlin Wolf, John Lee Hooker - and later, Danny Gatton.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Thinking the same thing!
                To chase a rabbit here ever hear Robert Randolph?

Last edited by Ascension; 12-07-2021, 07:55 AM.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

Thinking the same thing!
                  To chase a rabbit here ever hear Robert Randolph?
                  Indeed, beautiful stuff.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Or as they used to say in Nashville at the Bluegrass Inn and still do at Roberts Western World ........"A Tuesday Night" lol

It really is true that your server can out sing you, and your busboy can out play you in Nashville.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

When I saw Gate, him and the sax player were just riffing in parallel, and trading/matching licks. I was super cool. He has a pretty wide ranging catalogue - Blues, jazz, swing, band...lots of stuff
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        I was super cool.
                        Best Freudian/Malapropistic grammatical error of the day
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                        X