Considering new DAW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
    Update: my dad is sending me one of his laptops he used to use for work (he buys expensive stuff usually lol). Going to make a switch in the coming days hopefully
    A mo' powaful computer will only help. Mo' is mo' (more is more).

Comment

Update: my dad is sending me one of his laptops he used to use for work (he buys expensive stuff usually lol). Going to make a switch in the coming days hopefully
      Very cool. I would still look at the configuration of the computer and the requirements of the program. Make sure they align. If you do not have enough RAM that will definitely cause problems and crashes. In a lot of cases the Blue Screen of death. Music and video programs are RAM hungry. The good thing is most RAM is easy to replace and relatively cheap compared to buying a new machine. If it is a newer computer you should probably be good with processor speed. The other thing I would look at is the speed of the hard drive. If the hard drive can not read and write fast enough to keep up with the application that could also cause a crash. Once again easy enough to replace, hard drives are cheap these days. Plus music files are large so it may be an upgrade you would want to make anyway. Worst case scenario you could use an external drive if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        The other thing I would look at is the speed of the hard drive. If the hard drive can not read and write fast enough to keep up with the application that could also cause a crash.
        As cheap as SSDs are these days, there really isn't an excuse to not have one at least as a system drive. I made the switch about 10 years ago because honestly once you're used to the speed of an SSD, a mechanical disk feels glacially slow. I have a 1TB NVMe drive in my Windows 10 work machine, but you could probably get away with 500GB as long as you're not installing a lot of large software packages. I have 250GB SSDs in my Linux boxes because it's a less storage-intensive OS.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

As cheap as SSDs are these days, there really isn't an excuse to not have one at least as a system drive.
          I just bought a 3T WD I forgot what I paid for it but it was not much

Comment

I know a couple of people including Dystrust and Steve are developers. I have done some code analysis on Audacity, I am going to do Waveform next, just downloaded it from Github. I mapped out the cyclomatic types of files, critical cores, and other architectural attributes. If anyone is using the open-source code and wants a better view and understanding of the architecture or the dependency tree, let me know I have already done the work. At first blush, Audacity has large critical cores and a lot of cyclomatic dependencies.

Comment

Grabbed some Waves plugins during the sale: CLA-3A, CLA-76, J37 tape, and SSL EV2 channel. Most excited about the channel one. Dead duck's was fun, but this one has a ton more features.
              I mostly use UAD stuff now but I still have my full Waves stash.

Some Waves plugins that I dig:

L1 Limiter: Great low-overhead (CPU) limiter to put on the two. I use this all the time until I'm ready to slather on the fancy mustard (UAD Shadow Hills Mastering Comp) for finalizing.

Abbey Roads Plates: Great EMT140 emulations

API 550 A/B, 560, 2500: API Waves EQs and comp

GEQ Classic / Modern: excellent graphic EQs

H-Delay: killer delay ("H" IIRC stands for "hybrid") and convincing echoplex sound

IR 1: used for convolutions (reverb, etc)

Kramer Tape: cool for adding tape satch or tape delay

PuigTec EQs: when you gotta have a Pultec

Q1-10: another great EQ

Scheps73: when you gotta a Neve 1073 preamp

etc

Comment

I use Harrison Mixbus professionally for certain kinds of productions.

It's a super stable and great DAW

Head to Head testing, it clobbered Reaper for most things.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The Waves Renaissance suite is pretty remarkable, too.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use Eventide Anthology X for plugins. I have never had any issues, crashes, or freezes. I am considering upgrading to Eventide Anthology XII soon.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                      Head to Head testing, it clobbered Reaper for most things.
                      Have a few examples of how?

Only way to directly compare the two ***sound-wise*** is by testing their included plugins (respectively), not 3rd party plugins. Myself personally, not interested in that kind of comparison as I already have a huge library of pro plugins.

I find combining Reaper with killer 3rd party plugins (Universal Audio - my Apollo 6x, Waves, Eventide, Soundtoys etc ad infinitum) does the trick.

Minus any included plugins, and barring any functionality & GUI differences between DAWs, these DAWs are really just a "wrapper" for the plugins you're using - "colorless" (tonewise) software that relies on plugins to add any flavor.

I can see functionality & GUI differences, however. That much is obvious.

All that being said, I'm always on the lookout for new DAWs just to keep up with things. Harrison Mixbus looks intriguing. And I'm tired of the ProTools bandwagon.

Last edited by LLL; 06-20-2022, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

Have a few examples of how?

Only way to directly compare the two ***sound-wise*** is by testing their included plugins (respectively), not 3rd party plugins. Myself personally, not interested in that kind of comparison as I already have a huge library of pro plugins.

I find combining Reaper with killer 3rd party plugins (Universal Audio - my Apollo 6x, Waves, Eventide, Soundtoys etc ad infinitum) does the trick.

Minus any included plugins, and barring any functionality & GUI differences between DAWs, these DAWs are really just a "wrapper" for the plugins you're using - "colorless" (tonewise) software that relies on plugins to add any flavor.

I can see functionality & GUI differences, however. That much is obvious.

All that being said, I'm always on the lookout for new DAWs just to keep up with things. Harrison Mixbus looks intriguing. And I'm tired of the ProTools bandwagon.

yeah let me clarify -not in "sound" both are quality in that regard. i am talking -stability, architecture, using NDI and Dante -using Cloud instance etc etc

Reaper is great for stand alone recording but once you get into large scale tracking, live or llve contribution with mix minus, IFB, and such -Mixbus is way better
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I did my analysis on Waveform. It is a very stable application If anyone wants a deeper analysis PM me and I will send you the full reports.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

yeah let me clarify -not in "sound" both are quality in that regard. i am talking -stability, architecture, using NDI and Dante -using Cloud instance etc etc

Reaper is great for stand alone recording but once you get into large scale tracking, live or llve contribution with mix minus, IFB, and such -Mixbus is way better
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	harrison_32c_carousel_1_1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.2 KB ID:	6181294

Speaking of Harrison, UAD does their 32C EQ as a plugin (same EQ used on Michael Jackson's Thriller):

https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/e...rison-32c.html
                            Last edited by LLL; 06-24-2022, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	harrison_32c_carousel_1_1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.2 KB ID:	6181294

Speaking of Harrison, UAD does their 32C EQ as a plugin (same EQ used on Michael Jackson's Thriller):

https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/e...rison-32c.html
                              Also, I should add, people concerned about the "quality" of the sound of their DAW probably shouldn't be -DAWs should be about the functionality and features. The sound quality of your music is more related to the source, mic, pre/ADC, plugin effects, ADC and compression quality and format from bouncing. Even the pre isn't a big deal unless you are using the pre as part of the tracks sound.

Comment

GI/GO is the fundamental principle of computing.

Comment

Working...
                                X