X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Metallica

1989 Excel

Comment

I actually really liked that album when it came out. It had a certain darkness to it compared to previous albums. Different but cool IMHO. I was also guilty of having the Jason Newsted hairdo of the time as well.

Comment

I liked them on AJFA, but Sandman still makes me cringe. There were a couple on that album that I like as hard rock, meaning I have to mentally disconnect with it as metal so that I can like it as hard rock lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
          I liked them on AJFA, but Sandman still makes me cringe. There were a couple on that album that I like as hard rock, meaning I have to mentally disconnect with it as metal so that I can like it as hard rock lol.
          And there is a great statement. The Black Album was a great ROCK album, that crossed over and made Metallica accessible to all.

Was it a great career move? Hard to say. But I think if they went too AJFA and went one more step in that direction they would have been over the edge and became Craptallica, losing the interest of all but extreme hardcore fans. Not that Load and Reload didn't do that soon enough also...

I find AJFA often just one too many random riff changes for my taste. But that's me. LOVE RTL/MOP. Like AJFA. Love Black - but very different reasons. Black is a whole different band. VH/Aerosmith/KISS all changed their mojo, but after 8-12 albums. Great bands still, but very different. Metallica did it after three.

FYI - adding Sandman to the band's set for the occasional Metallica request. I sing it and do the solo.
          Last edited by Aceman; 12-01-2022, 06:59 AM.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

as a career move the black album was the one that made them rich. if i never heard enter sandman again, id be happy. there are some tunes on the black album that i like a lot though.

Comment

I remember MTV had some type of beach party with people dancing to a fake “metal band” lip-synching to Enter Sandman. I still have nightmares.

Comment

Working...
              X