Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orico 20 HDD cases

Hi guys,
    I'm putting this in the tips and clips section because it indirectly deals with home recording--mainly how to store the multiple hard drives that we accumulate over our lives safely. Feel free to move the thread if it fits into a better topic.

Wal-Mart has the cheapest deal on this I've seen so far. It's a 20 3.5" HDD case. I figure if you have HDDs in trios (samples, recording drive, and OS), this might come in handy.

It's a little steep but worth it to protect your information. It's built with plastic and is supposedly anti-static/fire proof to some degree. It feels like fishing tackle.

The HDD pockets are a little tight, which made me concerned about friction and static when sliding the drive in, but the foam is supposedly treated to prevent discharge.

The picture is misleading. The HDDs do not fit inside the foam flush to the top. The foam pockets leave about 2" or so of exposed hard drive up top. It's a bummer that so much of the HDD is exposed on top, but this allows you to read labels on the HDDs. I use small envelope labels to keep track of what's on each hard drive.

The pockets are tight, preventing shifting. There is eggshell foam on the underside of the lid, further preventing shifting.

The only weird thing is this little plastic wheel thing on a front Philips screw, which I suppose holds the foam to the inside of the case. The wheel broke off when I first got it. I thought it was some sort of key you used to turn the screw, allowing the lid to open. Seems cheaply made and unnecessary.

Anyway, it's better than storing your stuff in your desk drawer, especially for sample/plugin/audio drives and boot drives with old OSes from other computers that you don't have anymore.

Hope this helps.

Working...
X