Improvisation...????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improvisation...????????

So what do you expert improvisers do to improve that skill and what scales/arps.whatever else do you base it on...???

thanks...!?
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Well I learned all the major/minorscales variations, and the basis of those two forms!
    Plus all the various pentascales, arpeggios and chordstructures.
    Basic progressions and such. learned it all and then I promtly forgot about them and went on doing my own thing.
    But the basics are good tools to learn, and above else, dig melodies.
    And rhythms, actually dig those alot.

Comment

I don't worry about scales and stuff like that. It's more important
      to listen to what your band mates are doing,And work with them.
      For me it's all about thinking on your feet,And paying attention. I just listen for someone to start a motif or phrase and work with it
      untill I start to develope my own idea. Then Interject that into the jam. Hopefully your band mates pickup on it and start to work
      with you,Then ya just volley back and forth. Well that's my Idea
      of a improvised jam. Easier say than done
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

learn all the theory you can, then throw it out the window when with the band.

I use tons of harmonic minor to piss off the catholic church.

harm. major
        major/minor scales (all patterns for all scales)
        blues
        pentatonic
        arabian
        whole

mix all these together ...

add some 'right' notes

make up cords

Comment

i don't worry bout scales.....i know some but i feel more free to just use my ears and plus i can keep up with key changes seamlessly....
          Guitars:
          87' Gibson Les Paul Custom- Stock PUs
          86' Carvin V220- Super distortion neck, tonezone bridge....
          87' Cort Unknown Model, Modded- Dimarzio Super Distortion Bridge with Alnico V mag.

Amp:
          Bogner Ecstasy-stock Tubes
          Marshall JMP 50 watt- stock Tubes
          Fender Deluxe 90-Solid State..:-P

Comment

I use tons of scales all the time...get a good book of bebop chord progressions, and loop those chords. Practice playing overtop.

There is no easy way to learn to improvise. Be around someone who is great at it...listen to the greats all the time. Learn all the scales you can, so your notes are a *choice* not a limitation. In other words, play the notes you mean to play.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

And listen too as much Larry Carlton as possible.....that man has the lines from beyond.

Comment

I just play what I feel fits based off of scales in the same key and the background music. I get some awesome resultsthat way, and it fits even if I am playing 32nd notes.
                ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

Let me preface by saying that I'm no expert, and don't usually post in the tips section.

But, I think it's really important to build up a "vocabulary" of short phrases and turnarounds. Listen to your favorite guitar heroes (mine are all bluesmen) and you can hear that certain licks pop up over and over in their solos (esp. in jazz, blues, rock and roll). Once you get some of these standard licks down you can begin to worry about shaping your solo (stringing phrases together) rather than what note to play next.

Hope that helps.

ps. scales help so that you know what notes will sound "right" or at least traditional in a particular key. You can solo for like 45 minutes straight just on a blues scale up and down the fretboard and have it sounding sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                    And listen too as much Larry Carlton as possible.....that man has the lines from beyond.
                    Word. If you become half as good as Larry Carlton, you'll be kicking guitar player ass everywhere.

Here's the main scales I use:
                    Blues (duh!)
                    Aeolian
                    Dorian
                    Phrygian
                    Mixolydian
                    Ionian
                    Hungarian Minor
                    Japanese
                    Chinese
                    Diminished
                    Watch My Videos
                    Photography
                    www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
                    "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

biu, think thats enough? lol

also, its very important if you improvising with a band to listen to what they are doing.
                      also, when improvising, let it flow. dont be uptight. if you mess up, change what your doing or just fix it. in the world of improvising, nothing is incorrect.
                      also, listen to a lot of jam bands. my fav., the allman brothers. oo man, listen to fillmore east, the atlanta pop festival, basically anything by them. man, you will be living large after an edu. by the bro's.
                      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                      fender mim standard strat
                      peavey classic 30
                      johnson j-station
                      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                      yamaha f-310p acoustic
                      taylor 410 acoustic
                      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Scales are very important.
                        The most important thing though is that you know how EACH one of em sounds before you play it.

I can tell the difference between mixolydian and ionian, between aeolian and dorian, between phrygian and locrian. However I still didn't learn where the roots, 3rds, 5ths, and 7ths are in every scale.

The scales required to play jazz are: The major scale and its modes, the melodic minor and its modes, harmonic minor, diminished, augmented, and wholetone. Its also important to know maj7, min7, dom7, and min7b5 arpeggios all over the neck.

I use lots of books.
                        THey include :
                        The complete jazz guitar method by Jody Fisher.
                        Jazz Skills - Jody Fisher.
                        Guitar Chords Encyclopedia - Alfred
                        Jazz Chops - Buck Brown
                        The Real Book
                        Guitar Chords - Joe Pass

and various songbooks.

Vids include:
                        Scott Henderson - Melodic Phrasing, Jazz Improvisation. Eric Johnson, Joe Pass - Hot Licks, John Petrucci - Rock Discipline, Van Halen guitar method, and many many concerts.
                        my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
                        A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Luck
                          But, I think it's really important to build up a "vocabulary" of short phrases and turnarounds.
                          I'll agree with this statement... You can then throw your favorites phrase in anywhere and start mixing them up....

Comment

Working...
                          X