Cadence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadence?

can anyone explain to me what this is? I hear the term used alot. I have somewhat of an idea, but i am not 100% sure.
    MySpace!

2003 Gibson LesPaul Standard(lightburst) JB bridge / Jazz neck

2001 Fender MIA stratocaster (3-tone sunburst)SH-6 DD bridge stock middle and neck

2004 ESP LTD Viper-400 (white) EMG-81 set

Marshall DSL50

Mesa-Boogie Traditional Rectifier slant cab loaded with V-30's

Chord progression and its variation
    "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

Cadence has more to do with timeing than chords Any certain
      downbeat would be considered cadence. (i.e.) 2-3-4 Beat
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Cadence *

The cadence is a component of the syntactic structure. It is made up of the chord progression which ends the complete musical phrase. This progression is normally chord V to I. Each of these chords may be elaborated in some way, for instance by the cadential 6 4 appoggiatura chord or static harmony. These expand the V and I chords into the dominant prolongation and static coda.

In the true plagal cadence the chord V is replaced by chord IV. However, most so called plagal cadences are in reality I - [IV] - I static codas which elaborate the chord I of the V - I cadence. See static coda.

An imperfect cadence (e.g. chord II to V) is created when the final I of the cadence is missing so that the phrase is left incomplete, usually to be completed on a subsequent repetition or by a subsequent phrase.

Sometimes the tonic chord of the cadence overlaps with the static harmony of the next phrase.

The interrupted cadence occurs when a dominant chord is followed by a gamma progression (V - VI) or beta progression (V - III) rather than the normal alpha progression (V - I) which could form the syntactic cadence. The interrupted cadence is not a true cadence in syntactic terms as it serves only to extend the dynamic harmony of the closing section of the phrase.

Comment

Originally posted by brisk
          Cadence *

The cadence is a component of the syntactic structure. It is made up of the chord progression which ends the complete musical phrase. This progression is normally chord V to I. Each of these chords may be elaborated in some way, for instance by the cadential 6 4 appoggiatura chord or static harmony. These expand the V and I chords into the dominant prolongation and static coda.

In the true plagal cadence the chord V is replaced by chord IV. However, most so called plagal cadences are in reality I - [IV] - I static codas which elaborate the chord I of the V - I cadence. See static coda.

An imperfect cadence (e.g. chord II to V) is created when the final I of the cadence is missing so that the phrase is left incomplete, usually to be completed on a subsequent repetition or by a subsequent phrase.

Sometimes the tonic chord of the cadence overlaps with the static harmony of the next phrase.

The interrupted cadence occurs when a dominant chord is followed by a gamma progression (V - VI) or beta progression (V - III) rather than the normal alpha progression (V - I) which could form the syntactic cadence. The interrupted cadence is not a true cadence in syntactic terms as it serves only to extend the dynamic harmony of the closing section of the phrase.
          Thanks alot, I appreciate it.
          MySpace!

2001 Fender MIA stratocaster (3-tone sunburst)SH-6 DD bridge stock middle and neck

Marshall DSL50

Comment

Cadence is nothing new to musicians. When you hear it, you know it because it sounds right. Cadence is kinda a collection of right chord progressions with variations. The following link is about chord progression applied to guitar.

http://www.torvund.net/guitar/progressions/index.asp

Comment

Hey Brisk, After reading your repsonce I whent and checked the online webster's. I posted a link to it. I guess where both right
              about cadence. Just different ways to inturput it?

Comment

Hey KMC,

I am suprised that actually M-W gives a very good definition of what cadence means when used in music theory.

"a musical chord sequence moving to a harmonic close or point of rest and giving the sense of harmonic completion"

This is pretty much all I want to say about cadence.

Cheers,

Comment

thanks alot guys.
                  MySpace!

Marshall DSL50

Comment

Originally posted by brisk
                    Hey KMC,

I am suprised that actually M-W gives a very good definition of what cadence means when used in music theory.

"a musical chord sequence moving to a harmonic close or point of rest and giving the sense of harmonic completion"

This is pretty much all I want to say about cadence.

Cheers,
                    Thanks' I learned something new. I never knew It apilied to
                    chord Sequence. I read it 5Xs and I'm still not fully understanding
                    it. Is there a way you could post a clip demostraiting how it works?
                    I get the concept,But I'm not hearing it in my head. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
                      Thanks' I learned something new. I never knew It apilied to
                      chord Sequence. I read it 5Xs and I'm still not fully understanding
                      it. Is there a way you could post a clip demostraiting how it works?
                      I get the concept,But I'm not hearing it in my head. Thanks
                      Well as I said before, you will know it when you hear it because it sounds right. The easiest example would be G7 to C chord progression. In C Major scale, if you play G7, you know you need C as the next chord to give the sense of harmonic completion ("harmonic close" or "point of rest"). It sounds confusing but it's nothing but a strange name for what you already know.

Cheers,

Comment

A HA OK now I think I gotta ya. It's basicly the resolve chord in
                        a progression.

Comment

Cadence

Chick from American Wedding.
                          `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````

Comment

I thought it was when the quarterback hollered out loud in different variations to get the defense to jump offside.

Comment

Working...
                            X