Recording Newb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording Newb question

Hey guys, any help would be appreciated. I am trying to do a basic recording of my playing on my P.C.

I purchased a Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD USB Audio Interface. On the box itself (the usb interface), there is a port for headphones and then a switch is for direct monitor.

When you guys record using, say, reaper, do you play while you have your headphones plugged in, and then reaper just records it? If so, do you have the effects coming through your headphones too?

I've been trying for a few days or so to just record anything honestly in Reaper with BIAS FX2 on it and I am having a hell of a time. I got it to the point where there is some type of sound on the track when I hit record but it is all muffled, quiet, and sounds awful. I have a really high powered P.C. So I know it's not that. I just want to make sure I'm not missing a key element here.... It's just, guitar line into USB Interface, into p.c., and adding that device as a track on reaper right?

Thanks guys,

Re: Recording Newb question

Can you post a clip and screen shots of what you are experiencing?
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I have that same interface & am pretty much a newb too when it comes to recording with my comp though I did manage to set mine up to work fine after some trial and error. Did you set your input/output routing preferences in your DAW (Reaper?) . Do you have monitors connected to your interface (UMC202 HD)?. If so, you will need to chose them as your default speaker outputs...Reaper -> Options -> Device-> Audio device settings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reaper_Routing.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	5817875

Even if you're tracking/monitoring with headphones you will need to set these preferences. Before I got my monitors I was using my computer speakers (not plugged into my UMC202HD interface) and I never could get audio through them for both recording & playing ..needed to hook an external little Bluetooth speaker (or headphones) to my headphone output from the Behringer to monitor my stuff while recording & then playback was through my regular computer speakers which was a huge PIA.
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

The direct monitoring if it works how I think it does will only give you the dry guitar sound. You'd want to route it so you're monitoring post amp modelling (which may introduce a bit of latency depending on your computer speed and how you have your software buffer set). As has been said, we'd need more information about your routing and gain structure to really help you.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
          I have that same interface & am pretty much a newb too when it comes to recording with my comp though I did manage to set mine up to work fine after some trial and error. Did you set your input/output routing preferences in your DAW (Reaper?) . Do you have monitors connected to your interface (UMC202 HD)?. If so, you will need to chose them as your default speaker outputs...Reaper -> Options -> Device-> Audio device settings.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102600[/ATTACH]

Even if you're tracking/monitoring with headphones you will need to set these preferences. Before I got my monitors I was using my computer speakers (not plugged into my UMC202HD interface) and I never could get audio through them for both recording & playing ..needed to hook an external little Bluetooth speaker (or headphones) to my headphone output from the Behringer to monitor my stuff while recording & then playback was through my regular computer speakers which was a huge PIA.
          This was an awesome walk-through. Thank you!

Comment

No problem
            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
              No problem

Hey so one other question. I kind of gave up on BIAS FX. Not because your tutorial was bad at all, but because for some reason I am just still having issues with getting the effects to work in Reaper, so, can you tell me if this would work?

I just got a blackstar TVP260 stereo combo. It's really cool and I like the tones from it. There's an emulated speaker output on the back and then an mp3 line input. Can I hook a cable from the emulated output (which I usually use for headphones) into the my USB interface connected to my P.C. and just record that way, with the mp3 backing track playing through the mp3 line in on my amp? I feel like that should work. The manual says that output can be used for recording, but can I just hook it right into the interface?

If so, I have 2 questions on this.

#1. Should I use a speaker cable from the Emulated output jack of my amp to the interface, or an instrument cable?

#2. If this is how many people record, do they just video tape it simultaneously and just sync it up with the sound in the video and merge them together? Like record the video and mute it and put it over the recorded track?

Thanks! I appreciate your advice!

Comment

Working...
              X