N.A.D. VOXY LADY.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.A.D. VOXY LADY.....

I got my new VOX AC-10C1 this morning & I've got to say I'm quite impressed, this thing is just bloody fantastic!!! I'm actually probably more impressed by this little 1X10 combo than anything else VOX has put out in recent years...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	5844490
    I wasn't sure I'd like it when I first bought it but I'm glad that I did now! I've had several VOX amplifiers in the past (AC-15C1 with a Blue, AC-15C2 with Greenbacks, AC-30C2 with Greenbacks) & I've still got a old AC-30 with the original Blue's in it but I don't really use it anymore. Unfortunately it spends most of the time in storage these days but every once in a while I'll take it out to play...

Partly because I'm terrified that I'm going to break something that can't be replaced without spending a fortune, (VINTAGE VOX PARTS ARE STUPID EXPENSIVE) & partly because they just have to be turned up & pushed SOOOOO flipping hard before you get anything close to that great classic Top Boost tone? The AC-15's that I've owned in the past had the same core problem, they sound fantastic as long as you can get those speakers moving some serious air!!! With the AC-10 I'm pretty sure I can get that tone without even waking up the wife now? LOL, my baby slept right through me playing & he was only 8ft away!!!

I think that Top Boost compression has got something to do with creating a bit of a vacuum inside of their closed back cabinets? It seems to me like its almost impossible to get sounding right without physically pushing the heat from the valves out of them little vents on top of the cabinet???

Anyway, finally something that gives you all that true VOXY goodness in a bedroom size amp! I realize the originals were a bit different than but I really don't know why they were ever discontinued in the first place? They are extremely user friendly, quite light/portable, power tube distortion & actual Top Boost tone is very easily obtained, & it can be had at a very reasonable volume levels while still being loud enough to be heard over a not so timid drummer & bassist!!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	5844491
    I was kinda flip flopping between this and the new AC-412 Bronco. Im sure that would have been great as well but in the end the AC-10's onboard reverb knobby won the battle! There's no Tremolo which is fine with me because I never really used it with my others much anyway & my Supro's Tremolo is flipping sublime!!! The reverb is digital & a bit sensitive (a lot like a AC-30 with their 3 very long springs tank, LOL!!!) but its also very usable up to about 1pm & can do some pretty impressive things to your lead work when it's turned up!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: N.A.D. VOXY LADY.....

Yeah, they are great! I just got mine this week. I did put Gold Lion's in the power tubes and a Tung Sol and EHX in the pre amp tubes. Great amp!

Comment

Congrats and enjoy! Vox makes great amps!

Comment

Dude you are out of control. And that is coming from me!

Comment

Congrats! I love my AC10C1. Get yourself an OD of your choice and you'll never want to play anything else. I use mine more often than my Marshall DSL40C.

By my findings, this amp is the loudest 10 watts you'll ever hear, and the most bass you'll ever get from a 10" speaker thanks to the closed cabinet.
          Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

NICE! Way to go!

Comment

2 weeks later I've got to admit I'm still pretty darn Impressed with the little AC-10 & it is a very loud 10 watts!!! I do think it would benefit from a tube swap at some point but even completely stock it's got tons of VOXY goodness & personally I think the AC-10 is a much better drive pedal platform than the AC-15 or AC-30!!!

I'm not really sure why, it just seems to be much less finicky about what Overdrive & Distortion pedals are placed in front of it & unlike larger AC's it doesn't like my E.Q. pedal for some reason??? When I got my first VOX, a AC-15C2, I went flipping nuts trying to find the right dirt pedal for it. "This one was too dark and spongy", "that one was too bright & tight in the bass end" Etc....

Once I accepted the fact that for the most part AC's are much better "plug & play amps" than pedal platforms I started running it with just a Tube Screamer, a treble booster, and some delay instead of my entire board & life became much better!!! With those amp's the treble booster really helped find the tone I was looking for, the T.S. was just to push it a bit further!!!

For some reason (I think it's the lack of a real spring tank?) the AC-10 sounds great no matter what dirt box is sitting in front of it!!! LOL, just for turds & squirts I kicked my Wampler Triple Wreck on with the amp's volume & gain both set to about 1:00, the E.Q set to about noon, & just a touch of reverb. I got some crazy good high gain tone!!! I've tried the same thing through my Celestion Blue loaded AC-30C2 & my Greenback loaded AC-15C2, it sounded absolutely terrible in both cases but this is really nice...

The only real drawbacks I've found with it are that its all Top Boost all the time (not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just used to it's big brothers with the normal CH & CUT knob on tap) & the fact that the volume knob isn't very responsive between 7:30-11:00. Regardless of where the gain knob is. For whatever reason the volume seems to go from barely audible to AHH!!! But luckily Ahh is just about the right volume level for normal round the house practice & the perfect volume to get the tubes working...

I definitely recommend trying one out if you get the chance & haven't already!!!
              I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
                2 weeks later I've got to admit I'm still pretty darn Impressed with the little AC-10 & it is a very loud 10 watts!!! I do think it would benefit from a tube swap at some point but even completely stock it's got tons of VOXY goodness & personally I think the AC-10 is a much better drive pedal platform than the AC-15 or AC-30!!!

I'm not really sure why, it just seems to be much less finicky about what Overdrive & Distortion pedals are placed in front of it & unlike larger AC's it doesn't like my E.Q. pedal for some reason??? When I got my first VOX, a AC-15C2, I went flipping nuts trying to find the right dirt pedal for it. "This one was too dark and spongy", "that one was too bright & tight in the bass end" Etc....

Once I accepted the fact that for the most part AC's are much better "plug & play amps" than pedal platforms I started running it with just a Tube Screamer, a treble booster, and some delay instead of my entire board & life became much better!!! With those amp's the treble booster really helped find the tone I was looking for, the T.S. was just to push it a bit further!!!

For some reason (I think it's the lack of a real spring tank?) the AC-10 sounds great no matter what dirt box is sitting in front of it!!! LOL, just for turds & squirts I kicked my Wampler Triple Wreck on with the amp's volume & gain both set to about 1:00, the E.Q set to about noon, & just a touch of reverb. I got some crazy good high gain tone!!! I've tried the same thing through my Celestion Blue loaded AC-30C2 & my Greenback loaded AC-15C2, it sounded absolutely terrible in both cases but this is really nice...

The only real drawbacks I've found with it are that its all Top Boost all the time (not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just used to it's big brothers with the normal CH & CUT knob on tap) & the fact that the volume knob isn't very responsive between 7:30-11:00. Regardless of where the gain knob is. For whatever reason the volume seems to go from barely audible to AHH!!! But luckily Ahh is just about the right volume level for normal round the house practice & the perfect volume to get the tubes working...

I definitely recommend trying one out if you get the chance & haven't already!!!
                I love my EHX Soul Food with my AC10. You are right about volume. With my Katana head (50 watt setting) and 1x12 cab, I had to run the volume (clean) up around half way and I still had trouble cutting through for stage sound without overwhelming the overall mix. The AC10, I'm running at about 1/4 volume and 1/4 gain (clean/pedal platform) and the stage sound is phenomenal. Cuts through with clarity, articulation, and mixes very well. Just perfect for worship/church setting and it has plenty left in the tank if we decided not to run it mic'ed through the PA.

Comment

I think that's​ the difference with a class A amp. As you turn it up, it just gets more in your face. Not great for a tight sizzling chug. But you won't get lost in a mix.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, I'm using a Soul Food with mine too. Big and bold. Sounds great when I use my Cry Baby Mini wah with this setup too.
                    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

just fell in love with an AC-10 today so I am bringing this back from the dead

Nostalgic still digging on yours?
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I actually swapped out the 3 VOX amps that I had laying around for a single Handwired AC-15, mostly as a way to consolidate space? However the little AC-10’s are a great way to get that Top Boost tone cheap & in a much more apartment/bedroom friendly enclosure.

My H.W. AC-15 does break up much easier than the modern AC-15 I had before it but you still need a fair amount of volume to get it sounding it’s best & to be honest I do miss the little 10 from time to time....

Comment

Ok well that’s cool

I’ve had a 15 and a 30 and I love/hate them lol not the HW though

How the 10 never ended up on my radar before is beyond me. Killer sound, perfect size for what I want and It can push a 1x12 cab too. Yeah gonna have to be mine soon.
                            My Bands -
                            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                              Ok well that’s cool

I’ve had a 15 and a 30 and I love/hate them lol not the HW though

How the 10 never ended up on my radar before is beyond me. Killer sound, perfect size for what I want and It can push a 1x12 cab too. Yeah gonna have to be mine soon.
                              The 10in speaker in those things is surprisingly good for a modern ceramic 10 but if & when possible I’d suggest a a 1x12 cabinet with a Greenback, Creamback, or something comparable.....

Comment

Working...
                              X