banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried the Blackout Neck model in the bridge position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried the Blackout Neck model in the bridge position?

Or the EMTY-N? How is it? Is it 85-ish?

The standard AHB-1B is a bit too over-the-top for me when it comes to EQ and output. Wondering if the neck version is a bit more controlled in those regards.

Anyone?

Re: Has anyone tried the Blackout Neck model in the bridge position?

Yes, the Blackout Neck in the bridge is very similar to the EMG 81/85 swap...a little warmer, slightly less output (barely)

I find the output issue is related to the Blackouts preamp design primarily. It's simply too hot.

The EMTY series is on-par with the original Blackouts in terms of output, but the voicing is very different. I preferred the EMTY personally, but I never tried the EMTY Neck in the bridge, at least that I can recall.

Comment

Interesting, thank you.

I'm wondering what's the deal with the EMTY Neck. IIRC, that Slipknot dude used the 60 in the neck before he switched to Duncan. Wonder if the EMTY Neck is more 60A-ish than 85-ish.

Comment

It certainly is

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
          It certainly is
          And still over-the-top hot?

Comment

Somewhat. Like I said, the Blackouts preamp at the core of all these designs is simply a monster.

Still, I think you might be on to something with the EMTY neck in the bridge. I can see that working really well.

Comment

hm, i got all of the pickups here.
              tried the AHP-1n in the bridge already and the output is much higher than EMGs 60/81/85.
              it has a broader Freq. range compared to the EMGs with i prefer particular for this guitar, as it got no real balls in the bridge spot.

Didn't try the regular AHB1b in their yet because it's even hotter.
              Don't care for tightness since it's Std tuning and my amp is stiff enough.
              Also tamed the output with a series resistor before the Pots to bring it down to EMG levels. Seems to work OK.
              wanted to try the EMTY neck in the bridge too. own it since this week.
              So maybe i can do a shootout?
              EMG 81/85/60 Seymour duncan Blackouts std AHB1b, AHB1n, EMTY AHB3n, AHB3b all in the bridge!
              puh lot'S of work...

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                hm, i got all of the pickups here.
                tried the AHP-1n in the bridge already and the output is much higher than EMGs 60/81/85.
                it has a broader Freq. range compared to the EMGs with i prefer particular for this guitar, as it got no real balls in the bridge spot.

Didn't try the regular AHB1b in their yet because it's even hotter.
                Don't care for tightness since it's Std tuning and my amp is stiff enough.
                Also tamed the output with a series resistor before the Pots to bring it down to EMG levels. Seems to work OK.
                wanted to try the EMTY neck in the bridge too. own it since this week.
                So maybe i can do a shootout?
                EMG 81/85/60 Seymour duncan Blackouts std AHB1b, AHB1n, EMTY AHB3n, AHB3b all in the bridge!
                puh lot'S of work...
                Now, that'd be a killer shootout!

What value is this resistor you mention?

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                Somewhat. Like I said, the Blackouts preamp at the core of all these designs is simply a monster.

Still, I think you might be on to something with the EMTY neck in the bridge. I can see that working really well.
                I'm thinking I might. Dual EMTY Necks?

Comment

You might want to try the EMG 60AX. It's the second-lowest output of EMG's active humbuckers and lower in output than the neck or bridge standard Blackouts (not tried the signature Blackouts, so I can't vouch for how it compares to those myself), with a balanced EQ. Less shrill than a 60, less compressed than an 81, less muddy than an 85, and plain cooler than the Blackouts. (Which I completely agree are too hot, at least for a standard model; since the Metal version exists for people who want huge output I really think SD should back off the standard Blackouts a bit, or at least introduce a new, easier-going version.) It's almost like the PAF Pro or Pearly Gates Plus of the active world; not strong for any one purpose, but a solid all-rounder that fits anywhere. Nobody really talks about it or ever recommends it because it doesn't come stock in any guitars and most people looking at actives don't want something that is even-toned and has the output of a moderately-overwound passive, but hey, there you go. If a less-aggressive active bridge pickup is what you want, take a look at it. I can't categorically say it'll do you better than the Blackouts neck, but it's another option to consider.

Comment

maybe i find the time.

i don't have the 60A(x)but the 60 in the bridge is not too bad. yes less output than 81/85 and less compressed, which i like.
                    if it had a lil bit more lowend and it would be a lil less shrill it might be really good!
                    maybe i have to try the 60A(x) too.

Edit:
                    i put a 25K pot in series of the Pickup before it reaches the pot, so i could dial in every value from 0 to 25k. But 25k (most attenuation) was hot enough for me
                    Last edited by ToneFiddler; 11-09-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes.

I've also got lots of curiosity for the 60A. Not in the bridge, and not a fan of the X series (I'd rather 24V-mod the standard series), but it's a pickup I've wanted to try pretty much since I started swapping pickups, but I haven't gotten around to it.

I have tried the 60 in the bridge. Not a fan. It takes everything I don't like about the 81 in the bridge (I'm more of an 85 kinda guy), and then +1's it even more. In the neck... whole different story! I love the 85/60 combo.

I don't really want a tame bridge pickup. I've tried PAF's for what I play because everyone seems to think they go so well with high-gain amps. Not my thing. I like hot pickups just fine... just not as hot as blackouts, lol.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-10-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

got to say the emty neck AHB-3n isn't that much hotter than the EMGs! I am kinda positive suprised.
                        i hoped for this.
                        I remember the AHB1-n to be way hotter, but i will verify that soon.

soundclips done quick and dirty and sadly just a tad over bedroom levels:

Listen to Active Pickups Bridge Comparison by GuitarsWoodAndAmps #np on #SoundCloud

same guitar, same amp settings, same everything,
                        except different sloppiness of playing
                        Last edited by ToneFiddler; 11-17-2019, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post

got to say the emty neck AHB-3n isn't that much hotter than the EMGs! I am kinda positive suprised.
                          i hoped for this.
                          I remember the AHB1-n to be way hotter, but i will verify that soon.

soundclips done quick and dirty and sadly just a tad over bedroom levels:

Listen to Active Pickups Bridge Comparison by GuitarsWoodAndAmps #np on #SoundCloud

same guitar, same amp settings, same everything,
                          except different sloppiness of playing
                          Know its been awhile, but ever post more about this? The SoundCloud was private so I wasnt able to listen. Really wondering if the AHB1&3n would be like an EMG 85 in the bridge or more a 60A.

Comment

I love the neck model in the bridge position.

Last edited by JOLLY; 10-17-2022, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X