Bass Tone On Boston Albums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Tone On Boston Albums

You know, as a musician, and especially a bass player at heart, I just constantly analyze all music that I hear. There are so many great bass tones out there that have been recorded, but it's funny that I was thinking about the Boston bass tone today when I heard them on the radio. The bass tone on those albums is just amazing in the mix. It is super punchy, has tons of bass without being over bearing, and just has such a nice compression to it. It just sits in the mix perfectly. It is without a doubt one of my favorite bass tones of all time. I have looked for some isolated bass tones from them before, but this is the first time I have ever found one, and it was by accident. Anyways, once again.....what a great freakin' bass tone, man. Oh yeah, and the playing? Fuhget about it!! Killer!!

You reckon' that Scholz just ran that bass direct and compressed it just perfectly? That's my guess.

Re: Bass Tone On Boston Albums

I'd say that you guessed right. Probably a P-bass at that.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty positive that's a Fender Jazz bass direct into a pre. Pbass has a rounder bass heavy sound.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yeah there is no doubt that Fran Shehan nailed the tone on the live gigs with the jbass... Much to lively and articulate for a pbass unless there was major eq.

... I saw them several times in the 76-77 tours and the bass ( and everything else) tones we're absolutely true to the album..

Sidebar, the thing that was significantly different we're the arrangements...

They started this big, full band introduction to a song with lots of unison's and 5ths playing a really thick Melody that sounded more like a grand Arron Copeland timpani theme... Ba Da Dummm BaDum BaDum ending on a big V chord with tons of sustain.

And about the time our brains were begging for resolution, the sonorous More Than a feeling arpeggio wafted out even more delicate than the album because it was so "sweet" compared to the initial fanfare...

Litterally the best live interpetation of any song I have ever heard live and it was their first album...

Obviously had a big impact on me but I still wonder how much Shultz originally recorded as opposed to the original band.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
        What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          Pretty positive that's a Fender Jazz bass direct into a pre. Pbass has a rounder bass heavy sound.
          On second listen, I suppose that you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            On second listen, I suppose that you're right.

If you roll the bass on a Pbass and play it near the bridge -you can get a "jazz" sound -so it's not necessarily a Jazz -but if it's not it's a P doing the jazz thing!
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

It’s direct with compression. Pretty standard recording style.

It could be a P bass. With a pick and round wounds that’s the tone you get.

Scholz played the bass on the albums. Fran Sheehan played a Jazz with fingers. This is clearly with a pick.

I had read Scholz used a Gibson Victory bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well here’s a surprise. It’s a Gibson EB 0 with a Jazz pickup!

“Do you have a special bass you like to use?

I have a Gibson EBO with the whole middle part of it milled out where the pickups would normally go. It has a Fender Jazz pickup mounted on it. It's a very unusual bass and nobody else can play it except me. In fact bass players have picked it up and gone ugh, you play this?”

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post

I have a Gibson EBO with the whole middle part of it milled out where the pickups would normally go. It has a Fender Jazz pickup mounted on it. It's a very unusual bass and nobody else can play it except me. In fact bass players have picked it up and gone ugh, you play this?”

Wow.... totally surprised on that.

Comment

Uggghh he plays THAT????

Yikes
                    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                      Uggghh he plays THAT????

Yikes
                      Funny, knowing what he plays doesn't change how it sounds to me, not in the slightest. It still sounds great.

Comment

Funny, knowing what he plays doesn't change how it sounds to me, not in the slightest. It still sounds great.

Doesn’t matter what instrument someone plays. Just the music they make with it.

Comment

Doesn’t matter what instrument someone plays. Just the music they make with it.

Well after some thought, I guess he did exactly what makes sense, if you think about it -Gibson's EBs LOOK cool but honestly they are terrible compared to most contemporary basses at the time -so he took a cool looking bass and put an amazing pickup in it... makes sense.

I always thought it was interesting that Gibson could make utter trash like most EB basses but also make the Ripper and Thunderbird basses which are just glorious sounding.

Comment

I don't really like the looks of any Gibson basses.
                            Alembic, Warwick, Jackson or Schecter any day. Or Rickenbacker.

Comment

I don't really like the looks of any Gibson basses.
                              Alembic, Warwick, Jackson or Schecter any day. Or Rickenbacker.

Rickenbacker is the best. Praise be to the Ric 4001 and 4003. GOAT of basses.

Comment

Working...
                              X