Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P Rails, inner rails in series?

Bit curious...

Does anyone run the rails inner in series, they sound a bit bright on there own but particularly in parallel facing towards each other from what i have heard in clips

Also if the rails are anything like the hot rails pickup then aren't they supposed to be in series to achieve the intended tone?

Re: P Rails, inner rails in series?

I have not tried that, but it should possible without too much trouble, especially if you are using Triple Shots. All you have to do is add something to your guitar that lets you run the pickups in series. With the way the Triple Shots work, anything you have coming out of one Triple Shot (be it series, parallel, rail, or P90) would be put into series with anything you have coming out of the other one. You could do any combination of the four coils that way. It would be fiddly as hell, but that's fine if you aren't playing live.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-20-2019, 07:52 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Are the rails supposed to be like one coil of the Hot Rails? Can anyone confirm this? They don't sound that way to me.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Quite frankly, that's someone putting 2 and 2 together and getting 9.
        It has a rail, and it has a certain k reading. But the HR is a bar mag under the pickup, a smaller bobbin in every dimension, and most probably a different wire gauge. If my guess here is correct, not a single aspect of the pickup that influences tone is common between them.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          Quite frankly, that's someone putting 2 and 2 together and getting 9.
          It has a rail, and it has a certain k reading. But the HR is a bar mag under the pickup, a smaller bobbin in every dimension, and most probably a different wire gauge. If my guess here is correct, not a single aspect of the pickup that influences tone is common between them.
          Are you saying that the P-Rail doesn't have a bar magnet under the rail?!
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah a little birdy from the imaginary internet memory flew onto my shoulder and told me it was like a hot rail, but as we know that's hardly confirmation...

Comment

Well, a Hot Rails pickup is 2 rails, and those 2 rails are a different size and shape of what is on a P-Rail. Selecting just the rail side of the P-Rail doesn't sound like a split Hot Rails, so I'd consider this rumor disproved.

Comment

im 90% sure the rail coil is a hotrail coil. the magnet structure of the prails and a hotrails pup is quite different so im not surprised it sounds different but i havent a/b'd the prails rail coil and a split hotrail in any sort of meaningful way.

to the op, the two rails coils in parallel are supposed to give a quacky tone similar to a strat or tele. if you put them in series, itll be a lot fatter and louder of course, but wont sound the same as a hotrails either

Comment

I don't know for sure- it might have the same amount of turns and the same kind of wire. But I don't think it is the same shape.

Comment

the coil? ive looked at em and to my eye, they look the same. granted i havent un-wound either to confirm and im not gonna go that far but they are very close.

edit:
                    Summary
                    A truly unique bridge humbucker that combines a Hot Rails coil with our Vintage P90 to give you unmatched tonal variety.
                    found this on the product page, so looks like it is confirmed that it is a hotrail coil and vintage p90. i swear frank told me that years ago as well

Comment

ADMINISTRATOR FIGHT!
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

oh stop. i respect dave very much. we are very different players and probably people too but grownups can have different opinions and when presented with facts, change their thinking

Comment

Yeah, not "fight", just difference of opinion. I also highly respect Dave, but it looks like one of the opinions has been confirmed as fact (sorry Dave).
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            . . . but i havent a/b'd the prails rail coil and a split hotrail in any sort of meaningful way.
                            Ya know, an HSH axe, with P-Rail/Hotrail/P-Rail, could be a cool experiment. If I ever get around to installing mine I want to do some switch matrix where I can try every combo.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              oh stop. i respect dave very much. we are very different players and probably people too but grownups can have different opinions and when presented with facts, change their thinking
                              It was just a joke. There's very rarely in any kind of public disagreement between mods on this site. :P
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X