The Official April 2K18 SDUGF Modding Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official April 2K18 SDUGF Modding Contest

Here's the planning thread for anyone interested in asking or answering any questions. This thread is for submissions only. The contest will end May 31st at 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time, afterwards there will be a thread posted to vote on submissions.We are still looking for a suitable prize, but rest assured, there will be one.

The rules are simple:

1-List the initial guitar, replaced parts, work done, and other pertinent information as well as the price. The guitar most be modded, it can't be an original build or a partscaster. If this contest goes well, we'll have other contests for those categories.

2-Post pictures.

3-Add neat/interesting information (such as "I got the idea for this guitar from such and such a player" or "the idea for the finish came from the color of my first car")

4- Sound clips are preferred, but not required.

5-Must be able to verify that it was made by the forum member, possibly through a photograph.

6-In the sound clips, every part of the signal path must be identified, such as pedals and amps. No excessive signal coloring, this is a contest about guitars, not about how nice the rest of your rig sounds.

7-All work must be done by entrant.

8-Multiple entries are forbidden.
    Last edited by Chistopher; 04-27-2018, 08:54 AM.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: The Official April 2K18 SDUGF Modding Contest

All right, I'll bite! Let's see how well I do in terms of the rules etc....I present The Chopsbuilder as my entry!

1-List the initial guitar, replaced parts, work done, and other pertinent information as well as the price:

The initial guitar is a Dean Vendetta-XM (B-grade), a Chinese Import. Original price from shop selling Dean B guitars was $50.
    * Filled neck cavity
    * Filled knob hole
    * Painted the body; I had a mask made for the words/image, and added the sticker by the pickup. Paint and mask ~ $25
    * Rewired switch as off/off/on
    * Replaced pickup with a Duncan Live wire - $25 (there is a thread in PU Lounge verifying I did it wrong the first time!)
    * NY Neon Strings
    * Caution strap, and duct tape "Strap Locks" as a style decision
    Total Cost approximately $125

2 Pics:

Original Dean Vendetta XM

Construction Phase

Completed

3-Add neat/interesting information (such as "I got the idea for this guitar from such and such a player" or "the idea for the finish came from the color of my first car")

My build was inspired by our very own Dominus and his awesome multi-color work. He did some amazing work with similar sorts of guitars. The pickup was purchased for $25 at the SDUG User Group day. The guitar has been played on stage at a Dean Owners of America event. Original thread about this: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ghlight=NDIDVD

4- Sound clips: Taking it for a quick spin...

5-Must be able to verify that it was made by the forum member.: See above

6-In the sound clips, every part of the signal path must be identified: Guitar to Roland Cube 30, Recto setting and delay.

7-All work must be done by entrant.: I attest; Aceman.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	5806188
    Last edited by Aceman; 04-08-2018, 11:52 AM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Bump for competition. There HAS to be someone better than this....

Comment

I'll submit something within the next 24 hours.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

K, here we go. I present to you, the Coffin Lid. It started life as a stock Ibanez RG-120 in black gloss. I replaced the pickups with an RCA4 Distortion neck model in the neck paired with an Trembucker Alternative 8 in the bridge. Both in Triple Shot Rings. Tuners were replaced with Grover locking tuners. Body was swapped with an Ibanez RG-321 with a hardtail bridge. String saddles were replaced with Graph-Tek string savers. Knobs were replaced by Zombie skulls, as was the switch plate,the jack plate and the truss rod cover. The body itself was stripped on the top and bottom and finished with Wipe on Poly. Strap locks were replaced with Dunlops. Oh and I swapped out the tone cap for a 0.22 Orange Drop.

Name:	100_4881.jpg
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	5806235

Name:	100_5080.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	5806236

Name:	100_5115.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	5806237

Name:	100_5609.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	5806238

Name:	100_5610.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	5806239

Name:	100_5612.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	5806240

Name:	100_5611.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	5806241

Name:	100_5616.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	5806242

Name:	100_5619.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	5806243
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Demanic; 04-12-2018, 10:13 PM.

Comment

And since it wouldn't let me post more than 10 photos in a post, here's one of me holding it:

Name:	100_5622.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	5806244
            I'll see if I can come up with a recent sound clip.
            The signal chain was simple: My Line 6 Spidervalve Mk II into my 4x12 Carvin cab. I can't remember the exact setting, but I think that its the Insane Amber with just some reverb on it.
            Last edited by Demanic; 04-12-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

The Forum just doesn't seem to like my YouTube videos.
              It seems to automatically change the save text into something unreadable. I save it as one thing and when I go back and check it in an edit function, it's completely different.
              I'll try putting it up just as a link.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhgDdXI0nTw

Comment

This is bizzare, it wouldn't show up on my desktop, but I can now see it on my phone.

Comment

I present to you “The Phoenix.”

For the record, even though she has a very unique finish, I didn’t perform that work so the only things I’ll talk about are the modifications I’ve actually made myself.

“The Phoenix” is a 1985 Westone Spectrum LX which I purchased used in 1987. The short story is that in 1995 I almost lost her in a house fire but couldn’t bring myself to throw her away. The finish was ruined, the electronics fried, and the hardware became corroded and unusable after being soaked by the firemen and then just sitting for years. In about 2004 a buddy refinished her and did his best to clean up the hardware. It became barely usable at that point, with only the bridge pickup working and the tremolo being squeaky and rough. He did a great job on the finish though and it was at that time that I named her “The Phoenix” after the mythical bird that rose from the ashes.

So here’s where MY modding begins.

This guitar ended up being a big learning project. I started by investigating what would be involved in replacing pickups and decided that I could probably pull it off. I listened for hours on end to sound samples and demos and read tons of reviews. Finally I decided that I was going to put in Seymour Duncan’s... a Hot Rodded humbucker set (JB & Jazz) with a Hot Stack in the center. However, as I was learning about pickups I also started learning about all these cool wiring schemes like splits, parallel and out of phase. I decided that I wanted as much variation as I could cram into it, so I set upon the task of coming up with a unique wiring setup.

The original wiring was as follows:
                  • 3-way toggle for the two humbuckers
                  • Volume with push-pull for splitting both humbuckers
                  • Neck Tone with push-pull for turning on the center pickup
                  • Bridge Tone with push-pull for phase reverse

I decided I wanted to put Series/Split/Parallel switches on each pickup, I wanted a treble bleed on the volume, I wanted a varitone (.005uF, .022uF & .047uF) on the bridge tone control, and that I would turn the push-pull on the volume into a switch to turn the bridge & neck pickups OFF so I could run just the center pickup.

After playing it for a bit I came up with the idea of sacrificing a tone control for a blend pot with a MN taper (so the center is full volume of both sides) to blend from the neck & bridge (HH setup) to adding the center, to center only. I changed the volume push-pull to a master series/parallel switch, made the bridge tone a master tone, and reversed the coil split on the neck pickup.

My final changes came when I decided to pull the Hot Stack in favor of something with more power so I wouldn’t have such a volume drop when I added the center pickup. I decided to go with a GFS Lil Killer instead (a choice that I’m VERY happy with). I changed the 3-way mini for that pickup from Series/Split/Parallel to Split North/Series/Split South so I could set any combination of two split pickups to be hum-canceling. The neck 3-way mini had developed a short, so I changed it to a 2-way between Series and Split (I’ve learned that I’m not really a fan of parallel in most cases). I also changed the varitone to have a .005 cap, no cap, and a Black Ice passive overdrive (just for giggles).

Along with the electronics I also replaced all the hardware, opting for gold color, including the trem (a cheap FR copy), locking GFS Sperzel-style tuners, pickup rings and knobs.

This pic is NOT my guitar, but this is pretty much what it looked like before the fire:

...and here’s what I had to work with when I decided to start modding:

...and roughly the same shot AFTER the pickups and hardware:

...and the guitar as it is today:

Oh yeah, and just to show that it’s mine, here’s a couple shots of me playing her:

I don’t have much for sound clips, but here’s a link to my cover of Triumph’s “Little Boy Blues” in which I play several of my guitars. The guitar showing at any given time in the video is the one you’re hearing at that time and The Phoenix makes a couple of appearances. (By the way, the sound doesn’t start until about 40 seconds in.)

Anyway, there’s my submission... thanks for taking the time to read it! [emoji41]
                  Last edited by BriGuy1968; 04-12-2018, 09:19 PM. Reason: Add YouTube link
                  Originally posted by The Commodores?
                  "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Saved from a house fire.
                    Dang!!!

Comment

Instead of editing my post, I'll add to it. Here's the Coffin Lid, through my Picovalve with the closed back 1X12 cab, C-Rex Speaker. Keeley MT-2 for the distortion.

Comment

This is the Dark version. The only difference in settings is that I turned the bright switch off on the Picovalve.

Comment

We got us a contest!

I would like points subtracted from Demaniac for 'Old Shirtless Man' video.....

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            We got us a contest!

I would like points subtracted from Demaniac for 'Old Shirtless Man' video.....
                            [emoji41]

Comment

Will this be like the last Official SDUGF Contest where it just fizzled out into nothing?
                              https://www.facebook.com/ChaozGuitars

Comment

Working...
                              X