Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help from any computer gurus out there

I'm having a computer problem.

I'm running a Windows 7 PC with an M-Audio Fast Track Pro through Reaper and it's crashing. It only crashes when I'm doing an operation in Reaper that takes a lot of power, like rendering a track. Not sure what this means.

The crash report tells me that two things crashed simultaneously:
    "ntoskrnl.exe" (Windows boot kernel...whatever that is)
    "maudiofasttrackpro.sys" (Fast Track Pro driver)

As woemoejack suggested, I tried to roll back the driver to an earlier version, but my computer has this option grayed out.

Anyone know how to fix this? I'm out of ideas and I haven't been able to work on my music in a couple weeks while I've been fighting with this. I don't mind reinstalling Windows and starting from scratch if that will fix it, but I'm not going to waste my time reinstalling everything if that's not the solution. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by SabbathFan0220; 05-24-2011, 08:08 PM.
    "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Re: Help from any computer gurus out there

Alright, another night of troubleshooting in vain. I'm totally ready to buy a different audio interface...if that's the problem...

Comment

First question..... has this program/procedure ever worked on your system.... or did this start happening after previous successful sessions? or its never worked???

Comment

Originally posted by briggleman View Post
        First question..... has this program/procedure ever worked on your system.... or did this start happening after previous successful sessions? or its never worked???
        Thanks, Briggleman. It used to work. The first crash happened a little while after I had installed an additional internal hard drive for backups. I can only assume this is unrelated, as the new drive isn't being read from and/or written to when I'm using Reaper.

I'm using Windows 7 x64, SP1.

Comment

Originally posted by SabbathFan0220 View Post
          Thanks, Briggleman. It used to work. The first crash happened a little while after I had installed an additional internal hard drive for backups. I can only assume this is unrelated, as the new drive isn't being read from and/or written to when I'm using Reaper.

I'm using Windows 7 x64, SP1.
          Do you have a copy of your older driver. Have you tried re-installing that version of the driver.
          How big is your pagefile.sys [ virtual memory ]
          Is it set to " let windows manage it for me "
          If so, set it to an equall maximum and minimum Custom size.
          EG; min=2000Meg
          Max=2000Meg

NTOSkernel is the core file of your windows. Your memeory dump says the problem is how the driver is intereacting with it. It doesn't say why in laymans terms.
          Check your cables to your new hard drive and make sure they are plugged in properly.
          sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
          - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Thanks, GV. I don't have an old version of the driver, but I just tried reinstalling the new one. No luck.

How do I check the size of the virtual memory?

Everything on the new hard drive is plugged in correctly, and the drive works properly.

I just did an experiment that I think proves the issue is with the Fast Track Pro and not with Windows. I went into Reaper's options and set it to use a different record/playback device, unplugged the FTP, and did a bunch of editing that would usually cause a crash. Everything worked as it should. Unless I'm mistaken, I think I found the culprit.

Also, I had Windows test my RAM, and there were no issues found.

Comment

Can you answer my questions from the other thread? (why two?)

Comment

Thanks, GV. I don't have an old version of the driver, but I just tried reinstalling the new one. No luck.

How do I check the size of the virtual memory?

Everything on the new hard drive is plugged in correctly, and the drive works properly.

I just did an experiment that I think proves the issue is with the Fast Track Pro and not with Windows. I went into Reaper's options and set it to use a different record/playback device, unplugged the FTP, and did a bunch of editing that would usually cause a crash. Everything worked as it should. Unless I'm mistaken, I think I found the culprit.

Also, I had Windows test my RAM, and there were no issues found.
                Go to control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance[settings]>Advancd[ Virtual Memory-Change. Click custom size. fill in amount click set .
                Click OK there's a few applys on the way back out and then you need to reboot to make the change effective.

sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                  Can you answer my questions from the other thread? (why two?)
                  Sorry about that. I opened the other thread to complain about M-Audio's support, I opened this one looking for forum help about the problem. I'll close the other one.

Unfortunately, the driver on the included software CD isn't compatible with Windows 7 at all. It won't even recognize it. I'll try the 32 bit version of the driver and report back. Oh, and it's USB. Thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT: I just tried to install the 32 bit version of the driver, but apparently both 32 bit and 64 bit are both included in one exe package. Even though the one I downloaded was labeled 32 bit, my computer opened it and said "click next to install FTPx64..."
                  Last edited by SabbathFan0220; 05-24-2011, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                    Go to control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance[settings]>Advancd[ Virtual Memory-Change. Click custom size. fill in amount click set .
                    Click OK there's a few applys on the way back out and then you need to reboot to make the change effective.

Okay, my virtual memory is currently set to 12,279 MB...you think increasing it would change anything?

Comment

Is this USB, PCI, PCIe, PCI-X, firewire, S-Bus , Nubus or what?

Power supply?

You should seriously consider that their 64 bit driver might be screwed up. That happened a lot, when 32 bit drivers from the same manufacturer would work.

Comment

Thanks, uOpt. I explained about the driver above.

It's USB, and it's also powered by the USB.

Comment

Ah. Stop doing that

If it doesn't have a plug for a PSU then get a USB hub that has a power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                            If it doesn't have a plug for a PSU then get a USB hub that has a power supply.
                            Sorry if this is a stupid question, but...why?

Comment

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but...why?
                              Because on-mainboard USB ports are notoriously bad at routing power all the way from the main PSU through the board to the device.

Worse, messing with the USB device can thereby destabilize the main computer. And the Op still didn't say what PSU he has.

With laptops it's even worse since heat comes into play.

The OP isn't able to answer question in a complete manner so there's no hope. But in general, to debug things like this you actually start with a general stability test of this box. For all we know the USB thing works OK but the whole box is unstable, but he only notices instability when using the USB soundcard because that's the only time it's fully loaded.

Comment

Working...
                              X