Nunotone, Skidtone & Liontone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nunotone, Skidtone & Liontone

Nuno - one of the best players ever with a smokin' tone to boot.
    Dug Vito Bratta as well.

Anyhoo, for those interested, this setup is for three (count 'em: 3) album tones (Extreme, Skid Row & White Lion):

Originally posted by Michael Wagener
    The setup for the guitar sound for the EXTREME sessions as well as the first SkidRow album and White Lion's "Pride" album (in most cases, not on all tracks) was a Furman PEQ-3 into an unmodified ADA MP-1 (version 1.0, still got it) going into a McIntosh transistor poweramps (2100) into an original Marshall cab with 4x G12H (30W). The mics were, if I remember it right: Fostex M11RP Ribbon, Countryman lavalier and possibly a SM57/58 going into John Hardy M-1s and from there via a mono buss into a UREI 530 EQ and a BBE 802 then to digital tape (Mitsubishi 32 tack)
    -and-

Originally posted by Michael Wagener
    ADA MP-1

Overdrive 1 : 4.0 dist
    Overdrive 2 : 5.5 dist
    Master Gain : 7.5 dist
    Bass : 12
    Mid : 6
    Treb : 6
    Pres : 12
    Voicing : .tube
    FX loop : off

From the ADA it went into the McIntosh 2100 (transistor) poweramp and from there into a vintage Marshall 4x12 cab with the original G12H inside. At that time I normally used Fostex M11RP ribbon mics and Countryman Lavalier mics through a John Hardy M1 to record guitar.

Re: Nunotone, Skidtone & Liontone

No way, they couldn't have used transistor power amps!!!!

j/k... the best tones I ever had were from a Kasha Rockmod II preamp through a MosValve power amp, with stereo effects (Rocktron Replifex and Intelliverb) going through a couple of 2-12 cabs it was heaven.
    Last edited by devastone; 10-18-2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      No way, they couldn't have used transistor power amps!!!!

j/k... the best tones I ever had were from a Kasha Rockmod III preamp through a MosValve power amp, with stereo effects (Rocktron Replifex and Intelliverb) going through a couple of 2-12 cabs it was heaven.
      Yeah McIntosh is no slouch.

Comment

Of note, the BBE 802 (Sonic Maximizer) in the signal chain after the mics.

Had one of these with my 24 channel console PA system back in the 80's - you could get massive thump and clarity with it.

Never tried it on guitar; just overall PA mix.

Comment

Yeah, McIntosh is super high end audiophile stuff, so interesting that they used it with guitar.

Comment

I've posted this as well in various MP-1 threads. In addition I have preset 45 on my MP-1 set to this as well (which is the preset he has it on his as well.). Good stuff!

EDIT: I may throw up a clip if anyone's interested using some iR's ... LLL I know you like to tinker I can send you the raw preamp output too if you wanna have some fun matching
            Last edited by Kamanda~SD; 10-18-2018, 10:46 AM.
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Really looking forward to this. I have two MP-1s, as well as two Marshall power amps: the very early transistor 9040 and the classic tube 9100. I find the solid state somewhat lacking in upper-range sizzle. I suspect that is what the Sonic Maximizer will provide. If I can get that, I don't really think the tube power amp is necessary with these things.

Comment

Had a few minutes tonight so decided to do one for fun. Keep in mind I'm not trying to duplicate the whole chain here...in fact, the preamp is really the only common thing, but it'll still give you an OK idea. I unfortunately don't have any G12H iR's, but planning on it soon...I basically just loaded up a preset I made to go with the MP-1 and hit record.

Charvel 375 Deluxe w/ JB
                ADA MP-1 (same settings as above)
                Two Notes Wall of Sound with power amp emulation and speaker iR's:
                -(EL34 on the 57, 6L6 on the 421)
                - Engl Cab with v30s
                - Mics both slightly off center and close

Left Guitar is just that with a little Verb from the LX480 (Lexicon 480L)
                Right guitar is the same but with some delay (Just Waves H delay) but at 0:48 it is the same MP-1 settings but with some (ok lots) of chorus added (built in chorus on the MP-1)

I arranged it so you can hear some of it solo'd, doubled, and with the chorus. Once I get a G12H iR I'll try and maybe dial it in a bit closer...or maybe not.
                TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                  Had a few minutes tonight so decided to do one for fun. Keep in mind I'm not trying to duplicate the whole chain here...in fact, the preamp is really the only common thing, but it'll still give you an OK idea. I unfortunately don't have any G12H iR's, but planning on it soon...I basically just loaded up a preset I made to go with the MP-1 and hit record.

Charvel 375 Deluxe w/ JB
                  - Engl Cab with v30s

Right guitar is the same but with some delay (Just Waves H delay) but at 0:48 it is the same MP-1 settings but with some (ok lots) of chorus added (built in chorus on the MP-1)

I arranged it so you can hear some of it solo'd, doubled, and with the chorus. Once I get a G12H iR I'll try and maybe dial it in a bit closer...or maybe not.
                  Sounds.... most excellent! (Bill & Ted)

The MP-1's analog stereo chorus is awesome - I always thought.

Comment

Yep. That is still the sound. For some reason this recording gives off a Great White feel to me, at least outside of the shredding sections.

Comment

The two things of note to me here to me are a) how even with the same setup, each of these albums have a much more varied sound than, say, three different Martin Birch albums, and b) how all of the mic’s were mixed down to mono while recording; no ‘keeping options open’, he was committing to a sound and working with it from the jump. That is the essence of production (hearing the finished sound from the beginning and getting each step to that sound, not keeping very option and trying to ‘make’ a sound afterwards).
                      Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 10-24-2018, 05:24 AM.
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post

Charvel 375 Deluxe w/ JB
                        - Engl Cab with v30s

Sounds cool! I may have to look into one of these units...
                        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                        X