banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great - Cheap - Used - Small bass amp ( hidden jem)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great - Cheap - Used - Small bass amp ( hidden jem)

Hello guys!

a few lines to explain what I am asking to you bass gurus out there!
    as a guitar player of years i recently introduced myself to bass, loving every minute!

So here I am for my first bass amp: i would like to ask advice to you for a hidden jem thing! u know what i am talking about right?
    something maybe not so on the map, but extremely good sounding and therefore cheap. I dont'care about resell valure, i just want to have a great sound!

to make a guitar comparison, there are lots of great hidden jems amps ( peavey penta, windsor) pedals ( digitech bad monkey IMHO) and stuff out there that have reached a point when they are a bit old but still awesomely sounding. As guitar player I recognize that many times is the name and the age of the gear that makes the price and the desirability ( And that is sad ). I would like to not make the same mistakes as a ( beginner ) bass player!

Great - Cheap - Used - Small ! make your suggestions!

and thank you all of course!

Re: Great - Cheap - Used - Small bass amp ( hidden jem)

Small as in light/portable?

Lol yeah good luck with that, unless you splurge on a neodymium speaker swap

If it weighs less than 60lbs, consider yourself lucky
    Last edited by Adieu; 02-01-2019, 04:04 AM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
      Small as in light/portable?

Lol yeah good luck with that, unless you splurge on a neodymium speaker swap

If it weighs less than 60lbs, consider yourself lucky
      Not necessarily light, just small ( like small bass heads). Then of course , there is a minimum weight needed....

Comment

Originally posted by mst View Post
        Not necessarily light, just small ( like small bass heads). Then of course , there is a minimum weight needed....
        The head portion of an SS bass amp, shells aside, weighs maybe 5 - 7kg (if that)

It's the speaker cab or combo that will give you a hernia if it's of useable size
        Last edited by Adieu; 02-01-2019, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Are you looking for something that sounds good for home practice or something to play with a band? For home practice, I have a Peavy Micro Bass that sounds great. It is 20 watts with a 8-inch speaker, I paid $50 for it used. If you are looking to play with a band there are lots of higher wattage small bass amps with a 12 inch or 2x10 speakers but you are going to pay a premium for the wattage. You are looking at anywhere from $500 - $1000+

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            Are you looking for something that sounds good for home practice or something to play with a band? For home practice, I have a Peavy Micro Bass that sounds great. It is 20 watts with a 8-inch speaker, I paid $50 for it used. If you are looking to play with a band there are lots of higher wattage small bass amps with a 12 inch or 2x10 speakers but you are going to pay a premium for the wattage. You are looking at anywhere from $500 - $1000+
            2x10 or 1x15 combos start around $150-200 used though

Comment

tahnk you guys, actually after reding your suggestions i believe the Small ( but powerful) head and a ( maybe) single speaker cabinet could be a solution.

I could bring the head only to reharseals, using headphones at home , and the 1X 15 ( or 2X10??) speaker when needed

any suggestions?

wouldnt be bad to purchase two small cabinets ( identical) and leave one at reharseals and one at home, moving only the head

Comment

We use an MXR M80 direct into the PA for rehearsals. If I need to use something around the house, I plug it into a powered monitor.

Comment

Cheapest smalles rehearsal solution for bass amplification is an overdrive or distortion set to minimum gain, volume and tone to taste, plugged into a PA

Don't knock it, even a Boss DS-1 is half-decent in a pinch
                  Last edited by Adieu; 02-01-2019, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I'm going to recommend the Fender Rumble 100 combo, its 1×12, reasonably sized at 18.5×16.5×14in, and only weighs 22lbs. And enough power for rehearsals and small gigs (depending upon the size of the band).
                    sigpic
                    Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Forget used older stuff, when you have the Rumble 40 out there for $200 new (i.e. with warranty). Perfect small/quiet bass amp, costs very little, takes up no space, weighs nothing (I can literally lift it with a single pinky finger), has great e.q. section, built in dirt (if you want it – easy enough to ignore if you don't), headphone jack, 1/8" aux input (to play along with stuff when using headphones), XLR output. You can't get a better used small bass amp for what these cost new.

I have "better" bass amps...but I own a Rumble 40, because it is such a huge bang for the buck, and it's the right tool for the job sometimes (at-home practice, headphone practice, learning songs from digital files, recording direct, low-volume gigs and practices, playing along with acoustic instruments).

If you need the same features, but more headroom and a bigger sound, you could go for the Rumble 100 instead. It's as good as the Rumble 40...just bigger and more expensive.

If you need one you can really gig with in most situations, you need to go to the 200 IMO. Bigger still, and more expensive still...but still a large bang for the buck, and weighs very little.
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-03-2019, 09:02 PM.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        Forget used older stuff, when you have the Rumble 40 out there for $200 new (i.e. with warranty). Perfect small/quiet bass amp, costs very little, takes up no space, weighs nothing (I can literally lift it with a single pinky finger), has great e.q. section, built in dirt (if you want it – easy enough to ignore if you don't), headphone jack, 1/8" aux input (to play along with stuff when using headphones), XLR output. You can't get a better used small bass amp for what these cost new.

I have "better" bass amps...but I own a Rumble 40, because it is such a huge bang for the buck, and it's the right tool for the job sometimes (at-home practice, headphone practice, learning songs from digital files, recording direct, low-volume gigs and practices, playing along with acoustic instruments).

If you need the same features, but more headroom and a bigger sound, you could go for the Rumble 100 instead. It's as good as the Rumble 40...just bigger and more expensive.

If you need one you can really gig with in most situations, you need to go to the 200 IMO. Bigger still, and more expensive still...but still a large bang for the buck, and weighs very little.
                        is a great suggestion! I'll check it out!

Comment

guys what about something with compressor included?

Comment

I think the new Acoustic bass amps look pretty good. A decent size 1x12 or 1x15 speaker, small, light and not a lot of wattage.

Comment

The Fender Rumble amps are great for the price. The older versions (not the new silverface) versions are going dirt cheap. I practice through the small older 15 watt model at home all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X