treble bleed mod and tone capacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• treble bleed mod and tone capacitor

If I'm installing both a treble bleed mod and tone capacitor toggle switch* do I need to consider the tone cap value when selecting the treble bleed RC values? I'm guessing everything interacts with each other so there's probably some awkward balancing act to do. If so can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide?

* changes cap values - not just bypassing the tone cap.

Re: treble bleed mod and tone capacitor

If you connect the PU to the variable resistance of the volume pot THEN the tone control to its output, this tone control will scoop the mids when the volume is lowered, whatever is the value of the cap selected (even with a 200nF cap, for example). It's a question of topology (and the reason why "50s wiring" doesn't cooperate nicely with treble bleed circuits).

If you want the least interaction, just choose a signal path where the pickup(s) go to the tone circuit THEN to the volume control - IOW: solder the tone circuit to the outer lug of the volume, where the pickup(s) reach(es) this pot.

That's the only "balancing act" that I'd do. Out of that, any cap value can be selected, with the usual effects (2nF to 10nF = mids enhancer and 15nF to 100nF =regular tone control with a sound progressively darker).

FWIW. Good luck in your experiments.
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Why have a capacitor toggle? I use the Kinman Treble Bleed and that works great.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Yes, Kinman ...and be done with it.
        Keep things simple. You'll be much happier in the long run. You can do lots of fancy stuff with switches for various resistor and capacitor value combinations, which is ok as a diagnostic tool to find out what values you really like. But otherwise the fancy stuff just gets in the way of playing and having fun.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          Keep things simple. You'll be much happier in the long run. You can do lots of fancy stuff with switches for various resistor and capacitor value combinations, which is ok as a diagnostic tool to find out what values you really like. But otherwise the fancy stuff just gets in the way of playing and having fun.
          Just said the same thing in another thread. I won't say don't do it, but be aware that there's not a whole lot that's very useful beyond what you can do with normal Strat switching.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
          X