banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything like a head version of a Blue Junior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything like a head version of a Blue Junior?

I've always liked the Fender Blues Junior as a clean amp or a pedal platform. Is there any low-wattage amp that's either EL84 or 6V6 driven with a killer reverb that's kind of affordable in a compact head format? I don't want a combo because I've already got cabs I'd like to use, and I don't particularly like the stock speaker in the Blues Junior. It doesn't have to be an exact Blues Junior circuit, just something clean, vintage-y, and tube-y that can be turned up for some mild grit with a full tone stack so that it can be dialed in just right.

What are my options? I'm thinking around the 5-15W range. It has to have reverb and a full BMT tone stack, like I said. Affordable is better too.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-17-2019, 12:02 PM.

Re: Is there anything like a head version of a Blue Junior?

Look into a Super Champ XD or X2. Great cleans and several choices for the gain channel.
    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they both are available in head format.
      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Used supersonic 22 head

Sh1ts on a blues Jr any day of the week in my book. Everything the blues Jr wished it could be. Deluxe reverb on one channel and extremely versatile gain channel on the other side with the traditional fender tube verb circuit

Worth every penny, if I wasn't ok with the combo and had cabs like you, I'd get the head. But I love my ss22 combo

Comment

If you can find it, a used Mesa Blue Angel head. Miles better in tone (and reverb) than a Blues Jr.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Blues Jr. Mini-head. That would be cool - and cheap!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

On the cheaper side of the spectrum, there's the Laney Cub Head. 15 watts, EL84, Reverb... I had a combo and I really liked it for the price. Roared through my 2x12.

Give that a go.
              Last edited by Diego; 10-19-2019, 11:20 AM.
              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Isn't the Joyo Blue Jay bantamp supposed to be Junior
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes! I'll be looking into those options. The Super Sonic and Blue Angel seem interesting. I'd have to find a REALLY good deal one to be able to afford it, though, lol.

The Laney Cub Head definitely looks cool too. Nice price too.

The Joyo Bantamp doesn't really have a full tone stack, it seems. Or reverb.

Comment

Check out the Ibanez TSA-15H...

I used one for years & absolutely loved it!

Two 12AX7’s, two 6V6’s, & Blackface clean tone for days!!!

I’ve seen them on Reverb for as low as $150 shipped but right around $200 is a a pretty typical price point for them...
                    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Bassbreaker 15 head.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

For affordable, there's always the Fender Bassbreaker or the Peavey Classic mini
                        sigpic
                        Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
                          For affordable, there's always the Fender Bassbreaker or the Peavey Classic mini
                          Love my Peavey Classic 20 beautiful cleans and great high gain. I plug straight into it, it is so versatile I never need pedals with it.

Comment

Working...
                          X