Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wanted to show you my Strat with TEN TONES

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
    Ever since I've seen your Strat with the Tele pickup in the bridge, that has intrigued me. If I ever go with a SSS Strat setup again, a Tele bridge pickup would definitely be an option. I don't mind a Strat middle or neck pickup much but the bridge definitely has room for improvement. I prefer the spank and growl that can be had from a good Tele bridge pickup.
    That brings up an interesting question: Strat with a Tele bridge vs Tele with a Strat middle pup. I wonder how they'd compare.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      That brings up an interesting question: Strat with a Tele bridge vs Tele with a Strat middle pup. I wonder how they'd compare.
      That would be a really good comparison.

Comment

Hey Lew; LTNS. That's a sweet axe. I'm curious . . . did changing the neck not affect it resonance and sustain?
        Hey Artie! Yes it did. The rosewood warms up the tone and it had more spank with the original one piece maple neck. I have that neck but the frets are worn out.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I think the magnets in Strat pickups choke the tone of the steel strings. The Tele has no middle pickup and I've compared Strats with no middle pickup to Strats with all three pickups and they do seem to ring differently.

Comment

I've decided what I'm going to do with the guitar that started this thread.

Going to remove the strings and the pickguard and rewire the 5 way switch for neck, neck & middle, middle, middle & HOT TELE bridge, HOT TELE bridge. I'll use the mini-switch to combine the neck and bridge pickups. I'll just tape off the wire that is the tap for the "vintage output" of the bridge pickup because I never use it.

Comment

I noticed you said you never liked the middle pup by itself. I used to be the same. Until I found the right pup. Dave Plummer, (aka, Zhangliqun), rewound an SSL-5 for me. It's in the middle of one of my Strats and I love it by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                I've decided what I'm going to do with the guitar that started this thread.

Going to remove the strings and the pickguard and rewire the 5 way switch for neck, neck & middle, middle, middle & HOT TELE bridge, HOT TELE bridge. I'll use the mini-switch to combine the neck and bridge pickups. I'll just tape off the wire that is the tap for the "vintage output" of the bridge pickup because I never use it.
                I have two Strat bridge pickups that are wound hot with taps. One's a Zhangbucker Paul Bunyan and the other is a D Allen Echoes.

I never use the tap on either one.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I couldn't live without middle position on my Strats. As Artie said, having a great pickup there is key.

I mostly prefer low-output 60s types. The D Allen Voodoo 69s are awesome. So are the Chevalier 67s and Lindy Fralin's Woodstock 69s.
                  Also have a 60s type middle in an Onamac Pinktone set. And an SSL-1 from around '79 or '80.

I even used a Quarter Pound in middle position for years, but that was in between two humbuckers on a Floydcaster used for hotter stuff.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                    I couldn't live without middle position on my Strats. As Artie said, having a great pickup there is key.

I mostly prefer low-output 60s types. The D Allen Voodoo 69s are awesome. So are the Chevalier 67s and Lindy Fralin's Woodstock 69s.
                    Also have a 60s type middle in an Onamac Pinktone set. And an SSL-1 from around '79 or '80.

I even used a Quarter Pound in middle position for years, but that was in between two humbuckers on a Floydcaster used for hotter stuff.
                    I can easily live without the middle pickup all by itself. The middle position of a 3 way or 5 way switch on a Strat.

But I love the sound of the middle pickup combined with the neck pickup.

And I like it combined with the bridge pickup too...just not as much as it combined with the neck.

But by itself? Never appealed to me.

Comment

I can easily live without the middle pickup all by itself. The middle position of a 3 way or 5 way switch on a Strat.

But I love the sound of the middle pickup combined with the neck pickup.

And I like it combined with the bridge pickup too...just not as much as it combined with the neck.

But by itself? Never appealed to me.
                      Me too. I got a MegaSwitch which, in position 3 is neck + bridge.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Me too. I got a MegaSwitch which, in position 3 is neck + bridge.
                        I like what the Mega-switch does a lot. They don't seem to last longer than a few years though. Have you experienced that?

Comment

I like what the Mega-switch does a lot. They don't seem to last longer than a few years though. Have you experienced that?
                          Actually no, I haven't...mine are going on 10 years. I guess you can wire a super switch to do the same thing.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What is the difference in a Strat between a tele bridge pickup and an overwound flat pole strat bridge pickup?
                            I have a STK-S7 (noiseless) in a Strat and a Rose Buff Beauty (regular) in a second Strat and they are doing the job perfectly. What the tele bridge brings to the table?

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                              What is the difference in a Strat between a tele bridge pickup and an overwound flat pole strat bridge pickup?
                              I have a STK-S7 (noiseless) in a Strat and a Rose Buff Beauty (regular) in a second Strat and they are doing the job perfectly. What the tele bridge brings to the table?
                              Tele pickups have a metal baseplate that acts as a partial shield and affects the sound. The coil is slightly larger/thicker which changes the sound also. Tele bridge pickups cross over into Humbucker-sounding territory, which Strat bridge don’t do very well. Tele pickups (IME) are quieter than any strat I’ve owned. (Have 3 strats and 2 Teles now)

Comment

Working...
                              X