No announcement yet.

DD in the bridge - what in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DD in the bridge - what in the neck?

Thanks for the recommendations, dudes.

Do you think the Screamin' Demon would be better than the Air Norton? How do you guys think they would compare?

Comment

If we didn't think it was "better", six of us wouldn't have suggested it right off the bat!

Think of it as an Air Norton with everything you like about Duncans...

Comment

Demon!
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

I feel like a trendsetter. And all gooey inside. ��

Comment

i love the demon, but it‘s not close to a EMG 85 at all.

Comment

Demon has a fat growl, but still a percussive bite. Very tweakable, too. Replace the fillister heads under the wound strings with 0.75" allen heads to match the other coil, if you want an even tighter and sharper bite on low notes. Or if you want smoother and warmer, instead replace the allen heads with 1" fillisters.

Sentient might be a bit closer to a classic PAF neck pickup, but with a bit more output and warmth to hang with hot pickups, while being articulate. Popular as a good all-arounder for people wanting something in between the Jazz and the '59, but with more output in the neck. Warmer and fatter than a neck '59, but with some of the articulation of a Jazz.

If you are leaning more 85, a DDn or BWn are probably closer out of the Duncan lineup, or something dual resonance from DiMarzio.

Comment

Maybe you just need to raise the neck pickup close to the strings? I know Gus G used the 59n with DDb and sounded good imho.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes!

Originally posted by Despair View Post
                  Demon has a fat growl, but still a percussive bite.
                  See, that's not really what I want. I don't want percussive. I want liquid. Sorta like the 85. Percussiveness is exactly what I don't like about the PAF Pro or the EMG 60.

Haven't tried the Sentient, but honestly, seeing I don't like the '59 or the Jazz, I'm dubious about liking something that resembles either.

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                  Maybe you just need to raise the neck pickup close to the strings? I know Gus G used the 59n with DDb and sounded good imho.
                  They're at the same height right now, both the bridge and neck pickups, so it's definitely not set too low. It helps with the output a bit, but I feell not enough, and it still sounds like a '59.

I know lots of people make the whole hot bridge pickup/vintage neck pickup work. It's just never worked for me. I just don't like them. It's not just the output, it's the overall character. I prefer something like the EMG 85, which couldn't be further away from a PAF-type.
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-21-2020, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Uh huh. That's why I didn't recommend the Demon and was thinking about something medium output with regular poles plus alnico stock or swapped in. You'll get a liquid sound from one of those. The Sentient seems pretty similar to the other chirpy, vintage output neck hums to me.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

My vote is for Black Winter neck. Ceramic, yes, but roll off the tone knob a bit and you'll be just fine. And it can keep up with any bridge pickup out there.

Comment

Put a friggin alnico mag in it.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

BW-Neck with Alnico 5, then? Sounds interesting...

Comment

Hell yes
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Any example song/solo to get an idea the sound you want? Is your guitar 22 or 24 frets? Edit: I may be lost in translation (I am made in Mexico), but from your description I would think of a neck pickup with a tone rolled back a bit, like halfway of a woman's tone maybe? I use tone pots only for neck, never for bridge.
                              Last edited by IMENATOR; 02-24-2020, 08:35 PM.
                              Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                                Any example song/solo to get an idea the sound you want? Is your guitar 22 or 24 frets? Edit: I may be lost in translation (I am made in Mexico), but from your description I would think of a neck pickup with a tone rolled back a bit, like halfway of a woman's tone maybe? I use tone pots only for neck, never for bridge.
                                I'm Mexican too!

The guitar has 24 fret. Basswood body, thin maple neck, rosewood board, and a Floyd.

The guitar itself is not overly bright, but it's not bassy either.

I'm liking this tone:

That's the Air Norton in a pretty similar guitar. I ask if there's a Duncan that handles that tone as well because Duncans are easier to get ahold of for me, but if I absolutely have to go Air Norton, I guess I'll go Air Norton, LOL.
                                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-24-2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X