Eminence Cannabis Rex Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eminence Cannabis Rex Questions

I recently was checking out a guitar at GC and plugged into a Hot Rod Deluxe, and it sounded ridiculously good - like - too good for a standard Hot Rod Deluxe. I checked out the speaker and it had a Cannabis Rex in it. I played the same guitar through another Hot Rod with the stock celestion, and it didn't sound nearly as good. I'm a Mesa/Diamond guy who never really messes with speakers and just rolls with the V30s and Black Shadows that I have in my cabs - but this experience has me wanting to try some speaker swapping - lol.

I have a Mesa 3/4 back 212 cab with Black Shadows that I "really like", but never really "loved".

1. Has anyone here tried putting a pair of these in a semi-open back 212 and, if so, thoughts/opinions?
    2. Does anyone have an idea how it really differs from a C90 Black Shadow?
    3. Has anyone played something other than country/blues with this speaker? (I would be using it in a band that covers everything from country to Van Halen)

Based on what I heard in the Hot Rod, I am confident that my Mesa DC-10 cleans will sound great with this speaker (very Fender-ish 6L6 clean sound), but I didn't have a chance to crank it with an OD/Distortion pedal or even medium gain. There are LOTS of posts on this speaker on the web, but almost all involve Fender amps and clean tones, so any extra input would be great and appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Eminence Cannabis Rex Questions

When I get home tonight I'll see if I can post a vid of me playing my C-Rex with some gain.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks! I'd appreciate it. I take it it's working for you?

Comment

1. No
        2. No
        3. YES!

I mainly play Alternative/Rock and I have the C-Rex in a Fender Blues Jr. It is an awesome speaker upgrade–handles dirt like its nothing and my Suhr Riot pedal sounded better through the C-Rex than the Eminence Legend...so I don't see any reason why you shouldn't make the switch.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Boo View Post
          Thanks! I'd appreciate it. I take it it's working for you?
          Oh yeah! I got it several years ago and have it in a convertible 1x12 cab (currently closed). I run it with my 5 watt Jet City Picovalve, though I'd like to try it with a 15 or 20 watt head if I ever get one. I think it's quite articulate clean or dirty. And at 103db sensitivity, it's LOUD.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Boo View Post
            1. Has anyone here tried putting a pair of these in a semi-open back 212 and, if so, thoughts/opinions?
            2. Does anyone have an idea how it really differs from a C90 Black Shadow?
            3. Has anyone played something other than country/blues with this speaker? (I would be using it in a band that covers everything from country to Van Halen)
            1, yes
            2. less hifi and less hard edge than the c90. Both speakers are loud. Cannabis rex is more forgiving and warmer with a slant towards the lows and low mids. JAzzy is how i would describe it, whereas the c90 is defined, al little cold and modern rock sounding.
            3. jazz and some 70s fuzzed out rock ...sorry cant give you the recording cos the songwriter hasn't released it yet.

To be honest with you, for your amp i would recommend a couple of other speakers.
            First one would be the swamp thing, although in reality that is another huge sounding, punchy and hard edged speaker best suited to higher gain stuff...more or less in the vein of your c90s.
            The other would be the texas heat. It is much less efficient than all the speakers I have mentioned, but it can handle a ton of wattage (150 per speaker) so it never breaks a sweat. What it does well is that it soaks up some of the modern hif-ness of the amp and also knocks a couple of db off the volume, so you can crank your amp a little harder on the power tubes and get some real nice saturation. It has a warm top end and as much bass ad your amp can put out, but it also has a strong, thick midrange in the british style. It is real balanced and sounds great in open cabs. The canabis is great in low wattage amps, but the texas really excells in warming up higher wattage amps. It is a different, more vintage tone than either of what you are using now, but still gutsy and with zero speaker sag.
            ..ask andrew lamprecht if he was happy with his texas heat that he swapped into his mesa.
            Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-15-2016, 08:53 PM.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

IMO, it's a great speaker; very smooth and sweet, although it just doesnt quite have enough sparkle or bite for certain applications. In which case I would suggest running it in tandem with a Jensen or Emi Jensen knockoff .
              Last edited by MetalManiac; 01-15-2016, 09:02 PM.
              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I think it is a good speaker to pair with a "fizzy" amp. That being said, an amp with a clear top end couldn't sound bad through one.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  When I get home tonight I'll see if I can post a vid of me playing my C-Rex with some gain.

Well, here is a clip of me playing through the above mentioned rig. And in my ears, the C-Rex is one of those speakers that just keeps getting better with age. Like an old baseball glove.

Comment

lol THAT's a clean sound?
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

It's all relative. The beginning sound was certainly cleaner than the middle. As I recall, I told the op that I would post a vid of me playing my C-Rex with some gain.

Comment

i'm just stirring.
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I have a Peavey vertical cab that is probably a knockoff of your Mesa, loaded with two c-rexes. It has a removable panel that comes off the top speaker so it can be either open or closed. The speakers sound great with all my amps in that they make the amp sound clearest. They don't break up very much, though. They do take off all the ice pickiness from all my amps, but the high end is still clear and present.

The highest gain amp I have is my Jet City 20, and it sounds killer through the c-rexes, even with the gain high and an OD pedal. Good speakers, for sure.
                          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I thought the Cannabis Rex was extinct?
                            I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I built a black face Princeton circuit but beefed up with bigger trannies and 5881 power tubes. C-Rex was the speaker of choice.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
                              X