Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New guitar question

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
    Ditto that! My wife bought the Breedlove American C25 that I just sold-off the other day, but I'd had it for about 7 years and she paid for it after I took it home, so there was no surprise. Speaking of surprises... she's shocked that I had it this long, since I go through so much gear. And yeah, none of the firearms over-flowing from my safes were surprises either. She would have even less of a clue what to buy in that regard than guitars. That lack of attention to detail has made it easy for me to fill the safes on the sly over the years... LOL! (Though in nearly all cases, I've eventually gotten around to telling her.)
    My wife was an NRA certified rangemaster for a while (not sure how often it has to be renewed, so I don't know if it's current) and shot ISPCA. She knows her way around firearms. Even so, from the beginning we've always discussed and agreed upon major purchases. It works better that way.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I ran this scenario by my wife. Now, we've only been together 12 years, a bit short of your 31, but, after reading all the posts, her advice is this...

1) Keep the EC Strat. Clearly it's a keeper. It plays great and you enjoy the Strat style. Your wife obviously didn't buy it without investing some thought in it and doing her best to get one she thought you'd connect with. "She probably won't admit it," my wife says "but a little part of her will always feel special that SHE could get you a guitar you love to play."

2) You seem inclined to change pickups regardless and your only other complaint about the EC is the pickguard...swap it for a new assembly made to your liking and all your quibbles are solved.

3) Find a Tele you like and put it on layaway until you can sell another guitar you don't like as well or have as much sentimental value over. That way, you minimize the numbers and maximize the satisfaction and sentimentality of your collection. ...her words, not mine.

Oh, and she says "Strats are cooler than Teles anyways."

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
        I ran this scenario by my wife. Now, we've only been together 12 years, a bit short of your 31, but, after reading all the posts, her advice is this...

1) Keep the EC Strat. Clearly it's a keeper. It plays great and you enjoy the Strat style. Your wife obviously didn't buy it without investing some thought in it and doing her best to get one she thought you'd connect with. "She probably won't admit it," my wife says "but a little part of her will always feel special that SHE could get you a guitar you love to play."

2) You seem inclined to change pickups regardless and your only other complaint about the EC is the pickguard...swap it for a new assembly made to your liking and all your quibbles are solved.

3) Find a Tele you like and put it on layaway until you can sell another guitar you don't like as well or have as much sentimental value over. That way, you minimize the numbers and maximize the satisfaction and sentimentality of your collection. ...her words, not mine.

I sense a beginning of conflict...

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

If my wife bought me a $2000 EC sig model, that would be my new #1. If I didn’t like the sound, I’d be trying it through every amp in the shop until I got the sound I wanted and buy that amp.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
            Your wife is a genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
              Your wife is a genius.
              She has her moments ;P

Comment

Originally posted by Outa_Tune View Post
                She is not going to be hurt, she want's me to get the one I want. Trust me, after being married 31 years, we don't play those games anymore.

I can't sell my old strat, it was my first ever guitar and means more to me than anything I can buy, even though its just a '83 squire.

I need to concentrate on playing more/better rather than having a collection of guitars I don't use much. I was surprised how much better the EC Strat plays, I thought my other guitars played just fine but they are not as easy to play. It's my first Maple neck, seems very smooth and the frets are awesome, they seem to grip the strings a LOT less than my others.
                Dude... you’ve been gifted a guitar by someone who loves you enough to do so... it plays better than your existing guitars...

This is a no brained - keep the EV Strat, sell something else (or two) and keep that woman just as happy and loved as she deserves to be.

Two other thoughts:

From me - yes, gear less, play more.

From my missus - beware the woman who says “that’s fine...” (as in “she’ll be fine with me trading”) - it’s the first sign that it most definitely is NOT fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I played it a lot last night and think I'm not going to be able to let it go, it plays and sounds too good. Needs a setup though, GC literally handed her a new guitar that was never opened.

My wife came in and saw me playing it and smiled, so I know she's happy. Happy wife = happy life. (Secret to a long marriage)

I'll sell some stuff or whatever and get a Tele down the road. Right now I have too many guitars and have to walk around them. Think I'm going to turn a few into wall art.

Comment

Originally posted by Outa_Tune View Post
                    I played it a lot last night and think I'm not going to be able to let it go, it plays and sounds too good. Needs a setup though, GC literally handed her a new guitar that was never opened.

My wife came in and saw me playing it and smiled, so I know she's happy. Happy wife = happy life. (Secret to a long marriage)

I'll sell some stuff or whatever and get a Tele down the road. Right now I have too many guitars and have to walk around them. Think I'm going to turn a few into wall art.
                    Correct decision, & now down to brass tacks, were gonna need pics........preferably in a bikini or swimsuit obviously HD & once we've seen the wife some strat pics would be nice too

Comment

Originally posted by regan View Post
                      Correct decision, & now down to brass tacks, were gonna need pics........preferably in a bikini or swimsuit obviously HD & once we've seen the wife some strat pics would be nice too
                      Let's meet halfway and get some nice contrasting colour bikini pics of the strat!
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I'll take a few topless pics tonight.

Comment

Not you!!!

But I would like sit see some backside images
                          You know
                          From the back
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

"And so she said....." And as we ALL know, when a woman says something, she literally means exactly what she says!

Keep the Strat period. If she wanted you to have the guitar YOU want instead of the gift she chose she would have bought a GC gift card and took you shopping. She didn't do that, did she?
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Here's a pic of the new Strat, she wouldn't let me take a pic of her with her top off, sorry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackie small.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	5814649

Name:	20190619_220642.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	5814651

Here's some of the rest of the stable.

Name:	Rest small.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	5814650
                              Last edited by Outa_Tune; 06-19-2019, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Like the toes

That's a Squire, Epiphone, Agile, and what is the semihollow
                                I cant quite read that
                                EHD
                                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                                X