2 DIY Pedals I Made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 DIY Pedals I Made

Here are 2 DIY pedals that I made from scratch back in 2010-2011 with my own circuit board layouts. They are the only ones I made and based on the schematic diagrams of the 1979-1980 gray DOD 250 Preamp Overdrive and 1977-1978 script MXR Dyna Comp. I still use the overdrive for everything from classic 70s rock and blues to 80s heavy metal. The compressor is cool and compares well to my MXR Custom Comp but I've never really bonded with that type effect for some reason. Both feature etched adhesive aluminum artwork panels. Maybe in a couple years when I retire I'll get back into building something again.

Last edited by Steve Mavronis; 11-02-2019, 04:35 PM.

Re: 2 DIY Pedals I Made

Nice graphics! Very pro looking. All of the pedals I've made just have what the knobs do written on 'em in sharpie. :P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Nice work! Circuit boards look clean, I'm going to do something similar when I retire, after I mod every effect pedal I own...

Comment

Both are fantastic circuits, and well done I might add. I’ve built many but none my own design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can't take credit for the circuits, they are classics. But I didn't want to do a straight up clone either.

The coolest part about when I made the "741" OD and was posting about my research and build progress, Tom Cram (then working for DigiTech) saw my posts and offered his appreciation to me as a big fan of the DOD 250 and mailed me a surprise. He sent me some of his new DOD reissues just coming out for 2013: DOD 250 Overdrive Preamp 250, DOD BiFet Boost 410, DOD Envelope Filter 440, DOD Phasor 201. After Tom left DigiTech he started his own pedal company Spiral Electric FX. I really love the look of his oxidized pedal enclosures!

Comment

Nice work. Makes me want to build some pedals.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
              Nice work. Makes me want to build some pedals.
              Thanks, to tell you the truth my first time as a DIY project is was easier than I though. I just did a tone of research. Yeah there were other layouts and schematics and kits but all of them were modified in some way or another. I wanted to get as close as possible to the authentic sound of the last gray 250.

Also later on I did this mod to my DOD YJM308 from the 90s to bring it into "gray spec" as I didn't like the treble leaning EQ. I like the gray 250's midrange tone better. If I would have known this was a 30 minute job that cost only a few bucks then i probably wouldn't have spent the time to build my own pedals from scratch. I'm glad I did though because it was a good experience. Here's a part change guide. The only thing extra I did was add true-bypass and LED with modern Boss style power jack.

Last edited by Steve Mavronis; 11-03-2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Mavronis View Post
                Both feature etched adhesive aluminum artwork panels.
                Very nice indeed. But tell me more about the etched panels. Did you make them yourself? Get them made by somebody? Did you do the artwork yourself?

Comment

Very tidy work, I'm impressed!
                  "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Working...
                  X