HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

I would be cool if the new forum pickup neck companion pickup to the 59/Custom hybrid is none other than the Jazz/59 hybrid no matter what they call it. A very nice "match" to the bridge hybrid.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1 View Post
      I would be cool if the new forum pickup neck companion pickup to the 59/Custom hybrid is none other than the Jazz/59 hybrid no matter what they call it. A very nice "match" to the bridge hybrid.
      If they decide to use the same relationship among coils found in the '59/Custom Hybrid, the basis for the neck "companion", taking a somewhat "educated guess", should be around 5000 turns of AWG42 PE wire for the screw coil and around 6000 turns of AWG43 SPN wire for the slug coil.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
        If they decide to use the same relationship among coils found in the '59/Custom Hybrid, the basis for the neck "companion", taking a somewhat "educated guess", should be around 5000 turns of AWG42 PE wire for the screw coil and around 6000 turns of AWG43 SPN wire for the slug coil.

Right. The Jazz/'59 hybrid is another issue, another project. The neck to the '59/Custom bridge hybrid needs a greater difference in coils than that to be a good fit. A bridge with a 7K and 4.1K coil should have a neck with a difference in coils somewhere in that ball park. The beauty of the '59/Custom is the big mismatch.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Just a question not a critique, but does a big mismatch = a good sounding pickup when used in the neck position? I know it works well for that mismatch in the bridge, but not sure if that same rationale works in the neck position.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1 View Post
            Just a question not a critique, but does a big mismatch = a good sounding pickup when used in the neck position? I know it works well for that mismatch in the bridge, but not sure if that same rationale works in the neck position.
            It works better in the neck slot. When coils are matched, treble is reduced and mids are added: the humbucker effect. With a 5% difference in resistance in neck coils, there's a little bit of mismatch effect, but not much. At around 10% difference the real magic starts. You get more clarity and definition, and any low end mud cleans up. Much more versatile.

Many bridge PU's are bright and on the thin side because of the slot location (reduced string energy). Mismatched bridge coils reduce the humbucker effect and add more treble and thin out the mids further, basically adding in some single coil sound. That's why I use warm magnets in my hybrids, both bridge and neck.
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

great explanation Blueman335.

Comment

Any sound clips or videos with the neck Jazz/59 hybrid in action? Is it a competitor for the Screaming Demon in neck or do these two are champions on different games really?
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                  Any sound clips or videos with the neck Jazz/59 hybrid in action? Is it a competitor for the Screaming Demon in neck or do these two are champions on different games really?
                  What do you mean by "these two are champions on different games"? Can't really make a sense of that statement...

Comment

Originally posted by deci belle View Post
                    Bach2Rock's thread is 8 years new— amazing.

I just converted to hybrids yesterday, and put the jazz/59n I made in an es175. I'd always wondered why the jazz neck pu sounded so thin and trebly compared to the '59 bridge. Now that noise is gone and what's left is… ❤︎ ❤︎ ❤︎❤︎❤︎ ❤︎!!

Thank you for the article you wrote with the pictures, orpheo.

Gee, I wonder what I should do with the bridge pu?!!
                    Thanks deci belle... always a pleasure to hear I helped someone finding their tone... Crazy... I am soon to turn 50 which means I have been making the hybrids for over 25 years before I moved to Phoenix from Philadelphia! Again... Seymour please market the 59/Jazz Hybrid neck pickup... also... I would love to see a Jazz Cat... clean and clear version of the Phat Cat neck pickup.
                    GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Hi guys I've just bought the 59/custom hybrid for my Les Paul which sounds amazing!
                      I have also a Jazz and a '59 so I'd like to try the 59/jazz hybrid for the neck position.
                      It's best to have 59 slug/jazz screw or 59 screw/jazz slug coil?
                      Maybe I think it's quite similar but I need also coil spit so in this case there might be a difference if I want to split the jazz vs the 59 coil!

Comment

I have a 59/Jazz hybrid in the neck of my LP and it's nice. I have the 59 screw outer coil and Jazz slug inner coil and I use my pots to switch to series, parallel, or either coil. Maybe get a triple shot then you can use either coil!
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Thank you! Triple shot is a very good idea but I'm going to make the Jimmy Page wiring soon, so for now I have to decide which coil to split! Then I'll go for the 59 screw/jazz slug, maybe the 59 coil it's more suitable for the single coil sound than the the jazz's coil, isn't it?

Comment

They're both nice. 59 is a little more organic and the jazz a little more precise.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                              BachToRock,are you getting your commision/royalty checks?
                              I am finally going to take Duncan up on some complimentary product... possibly a new type of single coil Hybrid!
                              GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Originally posted by BachToRock View Post
                                I am finally going to take Duncan up on some complimentary product... possibly a new type of single coil Hybrid!
                                Hey man! Glad you decided to visit the forum. You've been sorely missed by some of us.

Can you discuss anything about this upcoming product of yours? Specially since I just can't imagine how you can make an hybrid with a single coil...

Care to share?

/Peter
                                Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                                Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Working...
                                X