banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My guitar’s body is too thin, I guess... Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My guitar’s body is too thin, I guess... Suggestions?

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Sure you have another option you can just as easily use a drill press and drill holes for the screws to fit into in the body. Easy enough to mark off the bit making sure you dont drill thorugh the body. This will have minimal to zero impact on tone.

Cutting the screws is a minor change on tone it has a larger effect on pick response. It will tighten it up.

If you need replacement screws you can get them here https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/P...epieces-Nickel

dont go to your hardware store the alloy they use doesnt sound good. If you want to dive down the rabbit hole different screw alloys do change the tone but very subtly.

If it was me I would be inclined to drill the holes in the body. That way if you ever swap pickups you can without having to mod the pick ups again.
    I don’t have a drill press, or a working drill at the moment for that matter, so I’ll just go ahead and cut the screws or get some replacement screws. I like the other stuff you wrote, though! Good to know that cutting the screws gets me a tighter pick response.
    Last edited by Gutwrencher; 04-24-2019, 04:47 PM.
    “The lies that withheld me for an eon shan’t live to be, for where I find shelter once more must last for eternity... My strength through my tongue now has found a way to endow what causes their lachrymosa; the words thus be unbound!”

Comment

I would replace the screws rather than cutting them

The process of cutting them will damage the start thread
      And when you go to put them back in, damage the pickup
      Either stripping the existing threads or breaking a winding
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        I would replace the screws rather than cutting them

The process of cutting them will damage the start thread
        And when you go to put them back in, damage the pickup
        Either stripping the existing threads or breaking a winding
        Thank goodness I didn’t put the cut ones in yet. I just got done cutting them, but I lost a couple of them in the process, so I just ended up ordering some replacements online.
        “The lies that withheld me for an eon shan’t live to be, for where I find shelter once more must last for eternity... My strength through my tongue now has found a way to endow what causes their lachrymosa; the words thus be unbound!”

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          or breaking a winding
          No way he would break a winding. These arent strat pups where the polepieces touch the winding, there is a plastic bobbin between the winding and the screw.

But its simple enough when you cut a screw to use a file or some sand paper and take off any rough edges before you put it in your pickup.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Gutwrencher View Post
            Thank goodness I didn’t put the cut ones in yet. I just got done cutting them, but I lost a couple of them in the process, so I just ended up ordering some replacements online.
            Mojotone has these https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/P...lepieces-Black they are black and will match the ones in the black winter and are already a 1/4 inch shorter. May not be enough shorter.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Hey man, I already posted those under the cat picture!

And yes, some care has to be taken with the screws ends after cutting, but it doesn't ruin them. It's actually a good idea to put a nut on the screw above where you are cutting and filing/cleaning up, then when you take the nut off it cleans out the threads. But, 5-40 nuts aren't the easiest to come by.
              Last edited by devastone; 04-25-2019, 08:49 AM.

Comment

You can cut the ends of the screws off. I had to do that with my Parker P-38 because it has a thin body.

Also try to buy pickups with the short legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  Hey man, I already posted those under the cat picture!

And yes, some care has to be taken with the screws ends after cutting, but it doesn't ruin them. It's actually a good idea to put a nut on the screw above where you are cutting and filing/cleaning up, then when you take the nut off it cleans out the threads. But, 5-40 nuts aren't the easiest to come by.
                  That you did.... and yet somehow when i wrote my other post it slipped my mind like wooosh....

Here have another cat

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat4_imgur-5aab02cbff1b78003653092c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	5813792

Comment

That would be me on a daily basis!

Comment

that pic literally made me laugh out loud, thanks!

Comment

Late but relevant update: I put in the smaller screws in the pickups (I got them from mojotone). Unfortunately, they sound kinda worse than before. In the old guitar, the pups sounded killer with the exact amount of attack I wanted. Now, they don’t have that same percussive, bright quality to them that they used to. The old guitar and the current guitar have the same body and neck woods, but different fretboard woods (old one has maple while the current one has Jatoba), so that might also be a contributing factor to that. Oh well. At least the pups still sound better than the stock Ibanez ones, especially the neck pickup.

If it’s breaking the rules to post here long after the thread has died, feel free to delete this post and close the thread.

Comment

Dang well that's unfortunate
                          But all the materials that make up the guitar have subtle but cumulative effects
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yeah, that's not a great ending here. Are you going to replace them again?
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                              I think the issue he's having is that the height adjuster screws are bottoming out. Such is the reason why Warmoth does this to their bodies:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97724[/ATTACH]
                              No. The height adjusting screws do not move up and down. The routs that you illustrate are for the screw tabs on the pup baseplate (which DOES adjust up and down).
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Gutwrencher View Post
                                Late but relevant update: I put in the smaller screws in the pickups (I got them from mojotone). Unfortunately, they sound kinda worse than before. In the old guitar, the pups sounded killer with the exact amount of attack I wanted. Now, they don’t have that same percussive, bright quality to them that they used to. The old guitar and the current guitar have the same body and neck woods, but different fretboard woods (old one has maple while the current one has Jatoba), so that might also be a contributing factor to that. Oh well. At least the pups still sound better than the stock Ibanez ones, especially the neck pickup.

If it’s breaking the rules to post here long after the thread has died, feel free to delete this post and close the thread.
                                The difference in tone/attack that you are hearing is NOT due to the screws. The shorter screws would in fact do just the opposite.

The difference you are hearing is because it is a different guitar (different woods, even in the fretboard, make the difference).
                                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                                X