1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

It makes no difference at all once the band starts up.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Chickenwings View Post
      It makes no difference at all once the band starts up.
      Maybe not to the listener but it makes a difference to the player that would like to have a pleasing tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
        Maybe not to the listener but it makes a difference to the player that would like to have a pleasing tone.
        I get a decent tone out of almost anything. This borders on insanity.

Comment

1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
          I get a decent tone out of almost anything. This borders on insanity.
          Not really much different than swapping preamp tubes.
          Nobody but the player will ever notice but it hasn’t stopped all of us from doing it.

Comment

Hey I can think of a million worse hobbies than tinkering with audio mods. I even remember a few of them!

Just remember, when it's about weird science it goes chips dips chains whips and Kelly Lebrock,,,, but chips always come first.
            Last edited by dave74; 04-08-2019, 05:22 AM.

Comment

I can’t argue with that!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Everything makes a difference, but enough for you to hear it and enough for you to care?
                That video illustrates a lot of things, soft clipping vs hard clipping, different diodes, and yes, different opamps, not old vs new 4558, but a wide variety of different opamps in the same circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  That video illustrates a lot of things, soft clipping vs hard clipping, different diodes, and yes, different opamps, not old vs new 4558, but a wide variety of different opamps in the same circuit.
                  I have a tough time hearing the differences between some of the opamps, so I figure I couldn’t hear a difference between old/new of the same component.

JMP/HBE, have you made your swaps and comparisons yet?
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have a tough time hearing the differences between some of the opamps, so I figure I couldn’t hear a difference between old/new of the same component.

The old ones just call you "sonny" a lot and complain about being cold.

Comment

Yes ive mixed & matched. The differences were anywhere from minimal to outstanding. The best ones ive gotten so far are USA Raytheons from early 80's. Ive stocked up on them.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                        Since yesterday ive spoken with Dave Friedman & Analogman Mike Piera and both said the same thing as above.
                        So does Brian Wampler
                        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

You might try some Burr Brown OPA2134s, I know, they aren't 4558s, they are much better spec wise and sound cleaner/more open IME, and their pinouts are the same. Of course, part of the beauty of the 4558 in OD/Dist pedals is the same as the LM308 in Rat circuits, they are actually pretty crappy generic opamps. The 2134s were designed specifically for audio applications so they have less noise and are more transparent, that can be a good thing in most applications, but "cleaner" may or may not be what you are looking for.

Specs - http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa2134.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                            You might try some Burr Brown OPA2134s, I know, they aren't 4558s, they are much better spec wise and sound cleaner/more open IME, and their pinouts are the same. Of course, part of the beauty of the 4558 in OD/Dist pedals is the same as the LM308 in Rat circuits, they are actually pretty crappy generic opamps. The 2134s were designed specifically for audio applications so they have less noise and are more transparent, that can be a good thing in most applications, but "cleaner" may or may not be what you are looking for.

Specs - http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa2134.pdf
                            I have one, haven't tried it yet. Ive heard mixed reviews but don't know what to expect.

Comment

Cleaner, clearer, more headroom, and less opamp distortion has been my experience. Again, depends on what you are looking for and what sounds good to you, YMMV, ice cream, all that.

Comment

IN my experience, the difference in new and old chips is the same as variation between new chip lots, or between the old chip lots.

Every chip new and old is just slightly different but not enough to even concern yourself, except an occasional actual bad one.
                                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                                X