• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

Originally posted by silvertonebetty View Post
    If I don't like the pickups I might check out what tv Jones could do lol
    And the sf vi is also Korean made
    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    I don't know if TV Jones' pickups will fit. And I am aware that the SFVI is made in Korea. I worked at Guild for 2 years

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
      Interesting. I paid less for my player grade '68 Slim Jim, with HSC, four years ago. $700 from the Sam Ash New York vintage room. It was a great price, which I got them down to from $1,150. Vs are worth more...but not a ton more. I still wonder why on Earth a new outsourced version actually fetches $1,300 USD retail price, when you can get a real old one, which is a stunningly high quality instrument, for the same in player grade condition, or in very clean condition for not too much more, and which won't ever depreciate.

This is the main problem with these new Guilds, for me. I'd rather hold out a bit longer, save a bit more, and buy the real deal from the '60s...and maintain or increase the value I have into the guitar, rather than seeing it lose 30 to 40 percent of its value the moment I buy it, and never get it back. Not that I buy to resell...but still...

Congrats and all. I am not arguing with your NGD excitement, and that's a great markdown that I would be very happy about too. Only way I'd think about buying one, in fact. I just don't get how the foreign made Guild market has much success given the competition out there from their own vintage examples.
      yeah not everybody wants to buy vintage gear but I agree with you to be honest. I like the old SF6 but only for less than a grand (comes up every now and then if you're lucky) but if I were to dish out 3K, a vintage SF6 is killer.

I mean...

Guild's Starfire VI is everything you could ever want in a hollowbody. It's got the top-shelf looks with the flame maple top, gold hardware, ebony fingerboard, custom fingerboard inlays and bound headstock. Better yet, it plays and sounds like a flagship guitar. If you've never fired one of these...

This is amazing.

3000 bucks man. Maybe I'll dish it out one day.

Comment

Interesting. I paid less for my player grade '68 Slim Jim, with HSC, four years ago. $700 from the Sam Ash New York vintage room. It was a great price, which I got them down to from $1,150. Vs are worth more...but not a ton more. I still wonder why on Earth a new outsourced version actually fetches $1,300 USD retail price, when you can get a real old one, which is a stunningly high quality instrument, for the same in player grade condition, or in very clean condition for not too much more, and which won't ever depreciate.

This is the main problem with these new Guilds, for me. I'd rather hold out a bit longer, save a bit more, and buy the real deal from the '60s...and maintain or increase the value I have into the guitar, rather than seeing it lose 30 to 40 percent of its value the moment I buy it, and never get it back. Not that I buy to resell...but still...

Congrats and all. I am not arguing with your NGD excitement, and that's a great markdown that I would be very happy about too. Only way I'd think about buying one, in fact. I just don't get how the foreign made Guild market has much success given the competition out there from their own vintage examples.
        Agree. Feel the same way. But those Korean guitars are all increasing in price. The PRS SE line is fetching close to $1k now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        -=The Dali
        --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
          Agree. Feel the same way. But those Korean guitars are all increasing in price. The PRS SE line is fetching close to $1k now.

Yeah it’s crazy . That’s why I look manly at use items

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
            yeah not everybody wants to buy vintage gear but I agree with you to be honest. I like the old SF6 but only for less than a grand (comes up every now and then if you're lucky) but if I were to dish out 3K, a vintage SF6 is killer.

I mean...

Guild's Starfire VI is everything you could ever want in a hollowbody. It's got the top-shelf looks with the flame maple top, gold hardware, ebony fingerboard, custom fingerboard inlays and bound headstock. Better yet, it plays and sounds like a flagship guitar. If you've never fired one of these...

This is amazing.

3000 bucks man. Maybe I'll dish it out one day.
            My biggest problem is being on a budget I can’t afford vintage

Comment

My "vintage" commentary is not really directed at you, having bought the guitar at a significant discount. It's more directed at those who buy these at full retail. I think the $1,300 price area is out of line for these import Guilds. I've played them, and IMO the build quality does not match the price point. It's not bad, but it also isn't great. Spend $1,300 on a vintage example, and you have a player guitar cosmetically...but at least it's a finely built instrument, and always will be. Old Guilds are just as good as old Gibsons, and they stayed that way through the decades, unlike Gibsons. Up until they went import, there were no "good periods and bad periods" at Guild. Even the U.S.A. made Fender owned years were great IME.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                What company owns Guild these days?
                Cordoba
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by silvertonebetty View Post
                  So I found a smoking deal on old new stock starfire v . Originally $2570 cad and got it for under $1200 cad shipped. I later found it hung on a wall for 3 years. I guess that’s why it was so cheap . But now to wait it for to ship .

I have wanted one of these for years so I’m pretty pleased

Love it -I have a Starfire 5 and had a 3 before. They are great guitars -the only thing I would check more carefully than normal is for burrs or pinching in the saddles with the Bigsby -easy to clean up yourself or have a qualified local guy tune in the Bigsby.

Those burst buckers are a nice mix of humbucker smooth and clearer top end.

I'm held up on getting the newer Starfire 6 and the and their new P90 loaded guitar -hope to have it soon.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                    Love it -I have a Starfire 5 and had a 3 before. They are great guitars -the only thing I would check more carefully than normal is for burrs or pinching in the saddles with the Bigsby -easy to clean up yourself or have a qualified local guy tune in the Bigsby.

I'm held up on getting the newer Starfire 6 and the and their new P90 loaded guitar -hope to have it soon.
                    They do look good. I wish they'd put out the T-100D Slim Jim, though. Single coil version of the Starfire. My '68 is one of the finest axes I've ever played.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

They do look good. I wish they'd put out the T-100D Slim Jim, though. Single coil version of the Starfire. My '68 is one of the finest axes I've ever played.
                      Love those, I almost got a 60s TD100 at a guitar show last year -beautiful, but the seller was a bit high

Comment

My "vintage" commentary is not really directed at you, having bought the guitar at a significant discount. It's more directed at those who buy these at full retail. I think the $1,300 price area is out of line for these import Guilds. I've played them, and IMO the build quality does not match the price point. It's not bad, but it also isn't great. Spend $1,300 on a vintage example, and you have a player guitar cosmetically...but at least it's a finely built instrument, and always will be. Old Guilds are just as good as old Gibsons, and they stayed that way through the decades, unlike Gibsons. Up until they went import, there were no "good periods and bad periods" at Guild. Even the U.S.A. made Fender owned years were great IME.
                        O I get yeah now . Yeah why buy an import if for a few bucks more you can buy the real deal

Comment

I know they are bringing guild back to the states. I don't see no reason why at $2500 the can't be USA made . Hopefully soon they will bring everything back to the usa. Like at 1500 I probably would have pass lol . My friend has a 60s solid body guild he got for $40

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

I'd wait if you have the cash. I know they are talking about bringing more models to the states.
                            And I like a smooth low end like sd sethlover and the high of a good old gretsch

Comment

Finaly the tracking number uploaded

Comment

Beautiful guitar. I love it. Guilds are very fine instruments. Back in the 60s there weren't any finer...Gibson, Gretsch, and Guild were the big three for hollows and semis.
                                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                                X