Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: who invented heavy metal

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    I want to hear these Blue Cheer metal songs.
    You are joking, I take it. Who the hell has not heard Blue Cheer?
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      Yes - but the term refers to the car of interest in the song. American "Heavy Metal" is a name for a type/style of vehicle. It had no reference to the sound of the music.
      The lyrics are not specific...but it is generally accepted that "heavy metal thunder" is referring to the sound of an American motorcycle. Mars Bonfire has stated that he was inspired to write the song by a motorcycle poster that he saw that said "Born To Ride" on it.

Steppenwolf was not a heavy metal band, though they certainly had some proto-metal elements. As you said, the lyrics do not refer to music in any way. They're talking about Harleys, basically.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
        You are joking, I take it. Who the hell has not heard Blue Cheer?
        Quit being such an uppity fck and maybe use your enormous brain to think of another interpretation for my post. Which songs specifically do you think are metal? Cuz it sounds pre proto metal to me.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

I know who Blue Cheer is, and I know they covered "Summertime Blues."

I'm turning 40 in a few months, and I only know who they are because when I was growing up, my dad used them as a benchmark for bands that played too loud or "used too much distortion" to crap on whatever I was listening to.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Cheer

More proof for Blue Cheer. Please note that Clapton even said Blue Cheer was the first metal band. Think he would know?
            Actually, no I don't think he would know.

Comment

5$ that mark henson is the same guy that was behind the Vinnie Vincent account some time back.

Comment

who invented heavy metal

Mountain was the first band I recall hearing that sounded like what became known as heavy metal later on. Blue Cheer was heavy but more fuzzy and still somehow groovy to me. Mountain had that tight sharp brash distortion. They were really just very heavy blues band, something like Cream, but the guitar tone and whole band playing sounded just like all the early metal bands that came along afterward, to me.

And hey, Vinnie, get a life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                  5$ that mark henson is the same guy that was behind the Vinnie Vincent account some time back.
                  I think that has pretty much been established and Mincer has shown him the door.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    I think that has pretty much been established and Mincer has shown him the door.
                    I miss him already
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I don't. But I am sure he will show up again. If you see him in here, report the post.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                      X