Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pitched, Pocketed, Grided & AutoTuned

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
    A heavily processed track is just more appealing to the majority of people and that's it.
    This right there. I noticed most of the tracks the video gave as an example had more of a dance feel, even the rock tunes. Stuff a d.j. can play in a club that is metered so simply drunks can bop around to it and it's easy to mix. It doesn't make them bad tracks or imply the engineer/producer did something wrong. It is called the music business because at the end of the day you got to make money. The easiest way to to that is "appealing to the majority of people".
    Last edited by Securb; 04-16-2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
      A heavily processed track is just more appealing to the majority of people and that's it. Different eras had different principles but it's been always so. It is an open race today, more free than ever as no one is restricted to record shops and physical albums. Everything is online and everyone is free to check anything. There is a new breed of artists with great genuine attitude taking advantage of the online era, like Ola Englund.

Today no one is forced to listen to anything on Youtube or the like, you choose your heroes and favourite sounds freely. Then no one is forced to desire to sound like someone else, or buy gear or dowlnoad amp sim presets of their heroes. People want to match their heroes. It's always been that. Heroes just changed along with the general attutide. Also, everyone wants to play as safe as possible, to avoid small watchnumbers, earn more likes and followers. Pumping up statistics. Copying existing success stories. Not to take any risks. Does that really measure music itself? No - but it is clever to consider it for a band/label as the majority of listeners don't even check tracks with small statistics.

The present direction escalated from bottom-up as time went on, not top-down. Production is always steps behind demand, reflecting to the actual era. I've been in the industry since the '90s. Those days the bands / labels requested to "create a signature sound". Around the early 2000s it slowly transformed into "make it as loud and punchy as the new X album, just a little more" and by 2010s it was cut back as band members and label guys just send reference tracks with no or little description, like "match the sound". Of course I try to persuade them not to, but it's just 50% successful in the practice. No logical reasoning works against "Maybe you are right but I provide the money and I want it that way. Do that."

Back to the original thread - computers and their advanced tools are the best friends of a musician really as they turned music production into an open and almost free highway. If someone decides not to follow the trend, today it is easy to make a statement and create any sort of original record, free from any control. Now'days anyone can assemble a fully featured recording studio in the bedroom for virtually the price of a decent guitar. It will be light years more advanced than the stuff was available in sick pro studios around 2000, charging more per hour than the price of a decent audio interface today.
      Really 90% people don't care about production in records. It's just that they like sounds they're familiar with: Market creates demand with marketing and serves that demand making profit. It has nothing to do with any musical value.

Of course I greatly appreciate the use of technology for artistic ends (Despite not necessarily liking the music). That's obviously different thing.

And completely agree with your last statement that there has never been better times to create music.
      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Funny, but quite a few of these statements would appear to be equally applicable to the food people eat.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Funny, but quite a few of these statements would appear to be equally applicable to the food people eat.
          Originally posted by greekdude View Post
          and its a common trend in all fields not just music.
          Many more fields I could add. Music is the least important.

Comment

Working...
          X