Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not into locking tuners

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    I hate the fact that if you have to loosen and retighten the strings for whatever reason, you will probably have to say b-bye to some strings with locking tuners. They usuall break when doing so.

Otherwise, I dig the self-locking ones better than the thumbwheel Sperzel-likes.
    It's the opposite for me with Gotoh locking vs non-locking. I don't have to worry about the curly crap when swapping a pickup. Maybe it depends on the locking tuner.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
      These top lockers are the lightest I have

GOTOH SD90 I think
      Top locking with the slot on top
      Anyone know if they make these Fender-styled?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Anyone know if they make these Fender-styled?
        SD91 inline

EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          I've started to become a fan of Wilkinson's "EZ-LOK" design. They aren't an extremely revolutionary design that I'll be throwing out all my Sperzels for, but they are cheap (only $30), fairly smooth, and being able to use the top or low hole as the first one the string enters is a great way to adjust break angle for finicky vibrato bridges.

I wouldn't put them on a higher end guitar, but they are great for cheaper guitars that I want to keep mechanically simple.
          They're great as long as there's no need for a quick change. I use them in all my guitars.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Hey MINCER
            Check these out

US $22 | 1 Set GUYKER 3R3L Vintage Deluxe Electric Guitar Machine Heads Tuners Nickel Tuning Pegs
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              I happen to love locking tuners. They are so convenient and quick. I especially like the Planet Waves auto trim tuners. They work like magic, are quick to use, trim the string ends automatically and so close to the shaft that you will never poke yourself with those pesky pointy string ends left from using diagonal cutters. My ONLY problem with them is that they are pretty heavy. But they are gorgeous looking, especially the gold and black. I now use the Fender lockers almost exclusively on my custom guitars. They work great, are slightly lighter than the Planet Waves. and line up perfectly because of the pins on the back (of course I use a jig to get the pins holes drilled and aligned perfectly).
              I have a set of them Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuners that I'll be using for a Squier Strat project. The only thing is that the holes on the headstock for the tuners have to be drilled larger to accommodate the auto-trims and that's basically it. They are a fantastic set of tuning machines and the extra string cut-ff is such a bonus. You're right about giving extra slack especially on the high E string because I did that once and it does tend to slip out even when locked good. The little extra wrap around the post ensures it won't slip out. It's not so much an issue with the wound strings. They usually stay in there pretty good.

;>)/
              sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                i dont replace tuners unless there is an issue. that said, i like locking tuners. makes string changes a breeze. usually sperzel but just got a guitar with hipshot and they are good too
                +1

Comment

Working...
                X