I would those as well
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Re: Self-Locking String Winding?

I use neither. I find the first method has caused more problems then solved. Never understood it, but to each their own.

if your having constant tuning issues, the problem most likely lies elsewhere.
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        Method 2
        Until the locking tuners arrive

I put that ... on everything

My electrics
        My acoustics
        If I could find them for bass
        I would those as well
        Sperzel makes locking tuners for bass, but I've never felt the need to try them. For my needs either Gotoh GB7s or Hipshot Ultralights get the job done. /tangent
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
          Sperzel makes locking tuners for bass, but I've never felt the need to try them. For my needs either Gotoh GB7s or Hipshot Ultralights get the job done. /tangent
          I looked for those
          Couldn't find them
          I'll look some more
          EHD

Comment

I use the second method on guitars, banjo, and mandolin, and a modified version on my nylon string.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

+1 on the first method pictured. I've been doing that for as long as I can remember. (Longer, actually...) It's simple & easy, locks well, and I don't recall ever breaking a string at the tuner. For non-trem guitars it's perfectly suitable. Of course, the nut needs to be slotted properly. One trick that helps is to pull the string fairly tight through the hole, so there's as little wrap around the post as is practical.

Very few of my non-trem guitars have locking tuners, and the ones that do had 'em when I got them. Using this method I've never felt the need.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I used to use the first method and it works quite well, BUT one day my string broke at the tuner (which rarely happens) and it was a pain trying to wrench the knot loose. I imagined if I was at a gig and needed to make a quick string change and I decided against using that method ever again. Also, I didn't like having to measure a proper slack for how much string was needed to thread the post. But, like someone else posted - to each his own.

Comment

I'm sure they both work equally as well. I've used the second way for 50 years and have never had an issue. Now all of my guitar builds get Planet Waves locking tuners...they look great, they never slip, and they are quick and easy to use, they even automatically trim the excess string.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I tried it once some years ago both ways. I've even tried the overlapping coil method where the premise is that the outer wraps hold the inner wraps more tightly by crossing them. I've tried using the entire string, with the notion being that the upward force of 100 wraps pressing against the one little bit that goes through the hole will prevent slippage.

Untying that knot when the string breaks at the tuner is a PITA with a small pair of needle nosed pliers, and impossible to do by hand without suffering serious injury. Don't want to talk about a broken string end slipping under the thumbnail, either.

For one thing, if you properly stretch your strings, you have to tune up. This puts more wraps around the post. If you've already got a couple of wraps before you stretch, you're going to add more. And more.

Alternatively, if you run them through and leave just a little slack, tie your knot, then tune and stretch, you risk cutting it too short.

Sperzels are just too easy not to use. Run it through, turn the knob, it's locked.
                    Originally posted by Brown Note
                    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                    My Blog

Comment

once I discovered cheap locking tuners
                      it was over

get a good brand
                      never look back

the cheapest ones I have are also the oldest ones I have
                      the idea was solid
                      the implementation was horrid

the cheap ones I got from an online store for $30 were junk
                      the Pin wasnt attached to the thumb wheel and I have to pry the pin down
                      each time I change strings

other than that they work fine

better brands work so much easier

the top locking Gotoh tuners are a bit different
                      theres a learning curve on those
                      but just because they are different

similar to the PRS style
                      wilkerson makes some that they sell at GFS,com
                      top locking that is
                      EHD

Comment

I am a huge fan of locking tuners, too, but I didn't grow up with them, and you are right, cheap ones aren't very good. Lightweight, good quality ones has saved me lots of time over the years (especially at gigs). After using headless double-ball strings, though, makes me think that it is silly that we still wrap strings around a post at all.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use this on my Strat. I overuse the tremolo more then Ritchie Blackmore and it used to go way out of tune before. Now it stays in perfect tune. I definitely recommend

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X