Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me build a guitar monstrosity!

YES! That's perfect, thank you!
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have never used their services, and I have heard some different opinions about it, but guitarpaintguys.com can do a flourescent finish for you.

Comment

I've painted 4 guitars in fluorescent colors...Pink, Green, Orange, and Yellow. They have to be clear-coated because the fluorescent paint doesn't wear well. And they are very difficult to do...to get a nice even finish in the color. But they are fabulous looking (especially under a blacklight) if done right.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          I've painted 4 guitars in fluorescent colors...Pink, Green, Orange, and Yellow. They have to be clear-coated because the fluorescent paint doesn't wear well. And they are very difficult to do...to get a nice even finish in the color. But they are fabulous looking (especially under a blacklight) if done right.
          Yeah, I was planning on clear coating it after painting anyway. Any other tips for getting a good finish? Specifically, I was wondering the best way to keep the paint out of the neck pocket. Did you do the paint stick method, or painter's tape?

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I see that you taped (also, came out really nice in the end!). Did you have issues with chipping around the edges while removing the tape? That is a concern I've got.

Comment

I had left a "lip" as a precaution, but it wasn't necessary in the end.

That was the first-ever guitar I have painted, so many, many things I could have done better. The largest flaw with that job is the base coat. The two paints were not compatible, so the glitter coat does not adhere very well.

Towards the last post in that thread has a link to a YouTube channel with tons of helpful info on rattle can paint jobs. The biggest thing is to use compatible finishes and take your time.
                Last edited by Ayrton; 11-25-2019, 09:23 AM.
                -Chris

Comment

Does anyone have experience with fluorescent colours over time? Apparently Warmoth stopped offering them as a finish because they faded and became less vibrant after a few years . . . and they would have been covered with a good UV blocking poly finish. I don't want to go to the effort of doing a flouro finish if it's going to fade away in a few years. Is there any way I could ensure this doesn't happen with neon pink?

Comment

I clear-coated mine with poly urethane. First one I did was about 7-10 years ago. I haven't noticed any fading. Still just as vibrant as the day I finished it. Like I said, they have to be done right! Apparently Warmoth didn't know how to do it right if theirs faded.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      Does anyone have experience with fluorescent colours over time? Apparently Warmoth stopped offering them as a finish because they faded and became less vibrant after a few years . . . and they would have been covered with a good UV blocking poly finish. I don't want to go to the effort of doing a flouro finish if it's going to fade away in a few years. Is there any way I could ensure this doesn't happen with neon pink?
                      Yaaassss....

Comment

I am guessing quality of paint is critical. That and limiting uv exposure? (And a good quality uv-blocking clear.)

Find out what products doc used and use them

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                          Yaaassss....
                          I've always liked the colour scheme on those guitars. But you can see that the flourescent pink is pretty faded there . . . it doesn't have the 'burn your eyes out' harshness that I'm looking for.

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                          I am guessing quality of paint is critical. That and limiting uv exposure? (And a good quality uv-blocking clear.)

Find out what products doc used and use them
                          How would one determine quality of paint? I was originally just planning on using the flourescent Rustoleum stuff from the hardware store. Do you have a particular recommendation that would be better?

Comment

Use car paint by manufacturers like 3M or Spies Hecker, not some hobbysts stuff like Duplicolor popular over there in the US. Have an auto body shop do it or learn how to use a compressor and do it yourself.

Comment

I've been reading about it a lot . . . it seems like there are no flourescent paint colours made that are colour fast. They will all fade with exposure to light.

Comment

Color

Clear

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X