banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone try the Alex Skolnick Signature Set yet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try the Alex Skolnick Signature Set yet?

Is it another JB or???

Re: Anyone try the Alex Skolnick Signature Set yet?

We may have to wait until more get out in the wild for the comparisons to come in.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

And I still feel like this should be one of the first places that one can find out about how pickups play and sound. But it's like the last place to get info for many pickups. There's got to be a way to fix this issue. I know that youtube and many guitar related blogs and websites that are part of the industry can be utilized, but I am not even sure if any of them have info on these pickups. So, I still stand by the nominating or voting for forum members to test gear, write about, and record this stuff. I mean these are products based in sound, and the cute little creative descriptions are silly in this day and age of media shangri la.

Comment

Yes! This makes so much sense!
        Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Hate to bump, but I got this message back:

Dennis Rus

Dennis Russell (Seymour Duncan)

Aug 22, 16:56 PDT
          Hi,

The bridge Skolnick model, is a bit higher output and has a bit more mid presence than a standard JB, giving it a bit more punch and harmonic content.

Thanks
          Dennis

Comment

I saw Alex live last weekend and his tone was incredible. Somebody has to give these pickups a try.
            Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
            Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Originally posted by STLMTLHD79 View Post
              I saw Alex live last weekend and his tone was incredible. Somebody has to give these pickups a try.
              Man I need a try a few different pups. Not sure if I should try this or the El Diavlo first.

Comment

Originally posted by Gplayerzzz View Post
                Hate to bump, but I got this message back:

Dennis Rus

Dennis Russell (Seymour Duncan)

Aug 22, 16:56 PDT
                Hi,

The bridge Skolnick model, is a bit higher output and has a bit more mid presence than a standard JB, giving it a bit more punch and harmonic content.

Thanks
                Dennis
                So yea, basically a tweaked JB.

Comment

Originally posted by Zheddar View Post
                  And I still feel like this should be one of the first places that one can find out about how pickups play and sound. But it's like the last place to get info for many pickups. There's got to be a way to fix this issue. I know that youtube and many guitar related blogs and websites that are part of the industry can be utilized, but I am not even sure if any of them have info on these pickups. So, I still stand by the nominating or voting for forum members to test gear, write about, and record this stuff. I mean these are products based in sound, and the cute little creative descriptions are silly in this day and age of media shangri la.
                  we had that for YEARS, starting in 2012. Mincer was part of that team and so was I. Unfortunately, some people felt that a total waste of oxygen so the majority of the team got shafted. Funnily enough, that coincides with many other changes and many artists leaving SD.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                    we had that for YEARS, starting in 2012. Mincer was part of that team and so was I. Unfortunately, some people felt that a total waste of oxygen so the majority of the team got shafted. Funnily enough, that coincides with many other changes and many artists leaving SD.
                    And it was a really good team, too! It is too bad the blogs have gone by the wayside, as it was a great place for information.

Comment

wow, i should have been on this page back then. I just came back to guitar playing heavy since late 2016 so i missed alot of this information (which i do search the archives and find great things that way). However, the statement about many artists leaving Duncan i find untrue. Who would they go to other than DZ, EMG and maybe Fishman?
                      Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

wow, i should have been on this page back then. I just came back to guitar playing heavy since late 2016 so i missed alot of this information (which i do search the archives and find great things that way). However, the statement about many artists leaving Duncan i find untrue. Who would they go to other than DZ, EMG and maybe Fishman?

Comment

Nick Johnston, Keith merrow, tosin abasi, George lynch, satchel. Byebye SD, hellow Fluence. And rightly so.

@mincer at least I got a few really good friends and memories out of it. Thanks, now I'm craving tacos from La Super Rica.

Comment

Nick Johnston, Keith merrow, tosin abasi, George lynch, satchel. Byebye SD, hellow Fluence. And rightly so.

@mincer at least I got a few really good friends and memories out of it. Thanks, now I'm craving tacos from La Super Rica.
                            Great tacos, indeed! I'd say you've done pretty well after that, though! And I still keep in touch with most of our blog brothers and sisters.

Comment

Yeah, the more research and forum digging that one does around here the more they find a wealth of experimentation. So much knowledge gets plopped right on their head. It all seems to be from a golden period though, and has dropped off the last couple of years. I have learned more then I ever would have expected from all the people who consistently share ideas and experiences on this forum. It's a good group of people that generally keep things as factual as one can with something as subjective as sound. I don't think I ever would have tried half the bizarre wiring mods, humbucker hybrids, or other various electric guitar experimentation without the influence of some of the awesome personalities and music industry purveyors who share here. That would be a bit of a bummer indeed if the forums didn't get amazing attention, especially since some of the descriptions of pickups sold by Duncan mention their lineage going back to the forum itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X