NGD: 1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom Tobacco Burst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: 1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom Tobacco Burst

I have been wanting one of these for years. As a young kid starting out playing, i absolutely hated Tobacco burst LP's. Now i absolutely love them.

SO...Make a long story short, this guitar sort of just landed in my lap. I saw it posted in FB marketplace a few weeks ago. However, it wasn't till yesterday that i could pick it up. We debated on price for a bit and decided on a very comfortable number IMO.

With that said, this guitar IS a player. Lots of changed parts-bridge pickup, Neck pickup ring, pickguard. It does have OG frets, pots and tuners. It does have a really pretty bad body damage on the top back edge, which actually cracked the binding. Almost looks like the guy tomahawked the guitar into an amp or something. You can sort of see it in the 2nd pic. With that said, since its on the back edge, you dont see the damage when its being played. The TP-6 is also a cool bonus. OG case is in pretty decent shape with just a little fraying of the tolex on the edges.

Plans for it-replace the bridge pickup, replace pickup rings and a re-fret. I actually have an era-correct LP custom pickguard from the 70s that i hope fits this guitar.

Here are the pics from the original add. I will add some more in the next few days

Click image for larger version

Name:	LP1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	5851642

Name:	LP2.jpg
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	5851643

Name:	LP3.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	5851644
    Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
    Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Re: NGD: 1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom Tobacco Burst

Sweet, i did it, I would play the snot out of it
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

NGD: 1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom Tobacco Burst

Congrats!
      Fine tuners on the bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
        Congrats!
        Fine tuners on the bridge?
        On the tailpiece. That’s a Schaller part. Gibson was using those at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tobacco Burst is my favorite burst. (Honey burst close behind.) Nice score.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
            On the tailpiece. That’s a Schaller part. Gibson was using those at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Yes...tailpiece. Lol
            I think that’s a pretty neat idea. I’m it sure how practical it is since the don’t seem to do that anymore but neat nonetheless.

Comment

I'm loving the grain on the back; any plans to change the pickups out?
              "There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind ... the only yardstick by which the result should be judged is simply that of how it sounds. If it sounds good it's successful; if it doesn't it has failed." - Duke Ellington
              Hi, I'm Sean at Seymour Duncan in California!

Comment

I have a TP6 one several guitars
                The fine tuners work well but I rarely use them
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

That’s a classy guitar. Looks more like dark honeyburst. Very 70’s au naturale.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanK View Post
                    I'm loving the grain on the back; any plans to change the pickups out?
                    I am keeping the OG T-top neck pickup no doubt-it sounds incredible! The Carvin M22 has to go. I will also be converting it to Gibson spec black pickup mounting rings. I haven't decided on a pickup, but probably something medium output and possibly a time-period correct piece as well. JB antiquity, JB 35th, maybe even one of the SH-9 Silverbirds i have. I would probably have to dremmel out part of the pickup mounting ring to accommodate the Silverbird.
                    Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Love the guitar! Tobacco burst is my favorite.
                      I would not mind taking that M22 off your hands when the time comes...

Comment

Nice. Congrats.

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Don't worry about the back. As you say, it's hidden, and if it gave you the right price, then what the heck?
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I dig the brass pickguard.

;>)/
                          sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by RorySquier View Post
                            I dig the brass pickguard.

;>)/
                            I have a Mid 70s Custom pickguard i plan to put on it. Converting all the plastics back to black.

Comment

Nice guitar. Congrats. Maple neck? Pancake body?

Comment

Working...
                              X