• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD: 1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom Tobacco Burst

My '83 Custom has a 3-piece maple neck.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I've always liked the fine tuning tailpiece- I think Gibson's version is the TP-6. I don't know what problem it is solving, but I always thought they looked cool
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post
        Norlin era. You really never know what you have in those guitars. But some of them sound really good. Anyway pancake bodies started somewhere in 1969 and ended in late 1976, early 77. While maple necks have been introduced in 1975 till 1980. Even if my guitar tech has a white custom with a maple neck dated June 1981.

Some of the Norlin LPC's can weigh up to 13lbs.
        Last edited by JMP/HBE; 06-16-2019, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
          Even my aforementioned '83 Custom feels heavy as hell, and it's only 11 point something, IIRC. It's one of only two of my instruments that puts my right leg to sleep when I play it sitting down. The other is a "vintage" B00 bass, which feels even heavier.
          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
            Even my aforementioned '83 Custom feels heavy as hell, and it's only 11 point something, IIRC.
            Which is why only real men can play them, and usually use them for heavy metal...
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Even my aforementioned '83 Custom feels heavy as hell, and it's only 11 point something, IIRC. It's one of only two of my instruments that puts my right leg to sleep when I play it sitting down. The other is a "vintage" B00 bass, which feels even heavier.
              My '77 LPC was only 10.5lbs, but that thing was brutal to play for a rehearsal. My Explorer is a hair over 9 lbs, and that is my limit these days.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

My '83 Custom has a 3-piece maple neck.
                83 was the year that a lot of changes happened.....return to the 17 deg headstock angle, change to mahogany for the necks, reduced headstock size for some Gibson lines and I think the swiss cheese weight relief started sometime this year too.
                Of course, there are examples of both in this year, and sometimes almost random with dates.

Comment

I like the white pick up ring in the neck position and the black in the bridge. Leave the black pup in the neck and maybe an SD pick up in all cream colour in the bridge with the black pup ring. Have a custom pick-guard that is half white/cream and half black sort of like a Micheal Schenker theme.

;>)/
                  sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                    My '77 LPC was only 10.5lbs, but that thing was brutal to play for a rehearsal. My Explorer is a hair over 9 lbs, and that is my limit these days.
                    Strangely enough, the weight of my 11 lb. Custom is no problem when standing. It's when sitting that it's a real bear. I basically have to cinch up my strap such that the guitar isn't really being supported by my leg, but by the strap. Technically, it's a better playing position anyhow, so I don't mind.
                    Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Well well, some pretty awesome discussion on my guitar here. Well, I finally had a day off today and decided to take the guitar apart basically and inspect everything about it. Well, what did i find? a 1 piece body (not pancake!), a very nice ebony fret board, 3 piece maple neck, which i cant wait to get new frets on.

Soooo.....I am trying to keep the whole "aged-well played/worn" thing going on with this guitar, i decided upon a set of SD Antiquity JB/Jazz set. I thought this would be perfect for the guitar.

I want to do 50s wiring. What do you guys recommend for a drop-in wiring/pot set? This guitar has ALL original pots and i plan to keep them for resale value but I definitely want 500k pots all around.
                      Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                      Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Awesome
                        I do love the JB/JAZZ set
                        I put those in everything
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by STLMTLHD79 View Post
                          Well well, some pretty awesome discussion on my guitar here. Well, I finally had a day off today and decided to take the guitar apart basically and inspect everything about it. Well, what did i find? a 1 piece body (not pancake!), a very nice ebony fret board, 3 piece maple neck, which i cant wait to get new frets on.

Soooo.....I am trying to keep the whole "aged-well played/worn" thing going on with this guitar, i decided upon a set of SD Antiquity JB/Jazz set. I thought this would be perfect for the guitar.

I want to do 50s wiring. What do you guys recommend for a drop-in wiring/pot set? This guitar has ALL original pots and i plan to keep them for resale value but I definitely want 500k pots all around.
                          Good choice. That guitar is gonna be a beast!

Comment

Nice!
                            Play the hell out of it!

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. Im super excited to get this project on the move. I DO want to try the T-top, but im worried it is not potted. I usually play with moderate to high gain settings, so that could be come an issue.

I got the JB/Jazz antiquity set the other day and it is going to look perfect in this guitar. perfect match for the mojo. Oh, and to add, the set is wound by MJ! (her "MJ" autograph on the baseplates). I am going to take it to my buddy/guitar tech for the fretjob. He is now doing stainless frets, which I may consider for this job.

Thoughts?
                              Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                              Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

the antiquity JB/Jazz set is imho so much better than the usual set. the aging of the magnet makes the world a difference.

About stainless steel. From your perspective, go for it. If your luthier is comfortable doing stainless steel, hell yes. If he's not comfortable with stainless: don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X