HSS wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS wiring question

Can't seem to find a wiring diagram for the following. HSS strat but I want to split the HB . Master volume, tone for N & M, push/pull tone to split the HB. Standard 5 way switching. CTS pots and dp/dt to be used. I have a nasty habit of clicking down the pot when I roll off the volume so I want to wire it through the tone. Thanks in advance.
    "The two main differences between men and boys are the length of their belts and the cost of their toys "

Re: HSS wiring question

So you want the switching to do the same as it does in a Strat? With just a single push pull? If that is the case, it would be a standard Strat diagram with the push/pull taken from another diagram. The wiring diagram interface on the SD site is being re-designed right now, however.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      So you want the switching to do the same as it does in a Strat? With just a single push pull? If that is the case, it would be a standard Strat diagram with the push/pull taken from another diagram. The wiring diagram interface on the SD site is being re-designed right now, however.

It sounds like he only wants one tone pot, that is active for just Neck and Middle pickups, and he wants it to be a Push-Pull pot as well, for splitting the Bridge humbucker.

Is that correct, MtFlyer?
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

One master volume, one tone pot for neck and middle, one push/pull tone pot for HB. I was thinking of using 250k for the first two and a 300k for the push/pull as the HB runs quite a bit hotter in the set I'm using (6.1,6.2 and 8.3).
        "The two main differences between men and boys are the length of their belts and the cost of their toys "

Comment

Originally posted by MtFlyr View Post
          One master volume, one tone pot for neck and middle, one push/pull tone pot for HB. I was thinking of using 250k for the first two and a 300k for the push/pull as the HB runs quite a bit hotter in the set I'm using (6.1,6.2 and 8.3).
          MtFlyr,

Ok, thanks for clarifying that you want a 2nd tone dedicated to the bridge humbucker

Just so you are aware, because of the limitations of a standard 5 way switch, there is always some kind of trade-off/compromise when reallocating the lower tone pot from the middle pickup to the bridge pickup. If you were to use a superswitch instead, it would have enough poles (4 vs just 2) to do this without any compromises.

So on that basis, the diagram below has the tradeoff that in Position 2 (middle and bridge pickups combined), that *both* tone controls are active, so the circuit gets loaded down a bit. Some people don't mind that, some do. It's a matter of personal taste.

An alternate mod option (not pictured below) doesn't have that issue, but a different tradeoff instead: in Position 3 (middle pickup alone), *no* tone control is active in the circuit, so the tone is more trebly as a result. Again, some people don't mind this, some do. If you think you would prefer that one, let me know and i'll dig up a diagram for it.

I don't have a diagram on hand that includes a push-pull for splitting the humbucker, so the 2nd attachment shows how to do that part of the circuit.

EDIT: you don't have to follow the values I labeled on each of the three pots; you can experiment with different values like you mentioned earlier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200521_203101.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	5820622

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200522_222752.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	5820623

EDIT: Oops, labeling in 2nd pic reads that the humbucker black wire connects to the 5 way switch; it should state that the humbucker black wire connects to the lower tone pot.
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 05-22-2020, 08:38 PM. Reason: Clarification
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks Jack. I think I'm going to lead wire the pickups to a control panel outside the guitar and see which option I like better. Im not sure how often I will use position 2 but I wanted to have the option while keeping the appearance as close to stock as possible, and getting the split off the volume knob. I'll let you know how it comes out and thank you again. - Jim

Comment

Working...
            X