This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bad Trader Alert

Crappy packaging of Strat pickups that have the wire around the bobbin should be a jailable offense. I had pickups break the same way in shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly_Rancher View Post
      Well, unfortunately, my purchase of 3 strat pickups from Ubermetaldood has turned negative. I paid him a couple extra bucks vis paypal and he throws them in s crappy single piece of bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts. Well the starting strand of the bridge pickup broke st the solder joint at some point in time... And his response was that I made mistakes. I just find it fishy that he insured the package. Nobody does that. Then he told me to fix it and to deal with it like a man, hence this negative feedback.
      Although it does sound fishy, I don't think insurance is a reason to be suspicious. I insure all of my packages, and I never ship anything that's broken. Its just a safety. Sorry to hear about your loss, it sounds fishy overall.
      Originally posted by kilphody
      There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

It was more of the way he started listing ways I messed up after I asked for $25 refunded or one of his other bridge pickups.
        Last edited by Jolly_Rancher; 02-10-2013, 10:00 PM.

Comment

And thanks guys. I already ordered a Seymour Duncan SSL-3 :-)

Comment

JollyRancher is a liar and not telling you the whole story either. We discussed the pickups at length. I sent him detailed pictures for him to inspect, then verified that everything was to his liking before shipping. I used a small box, secured the pickups individually rolled in bubble wrap, and stuffed the rest of the box with peanuts. By all accounts, it was a professional packing job. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the pickups whatsoever when they shipped.

I received a message from him stating the following: "Yeah they took forever... Anyways, I just got them. They look good and I checked the resistances. Just FYI, The bridge is about 2.4k ohms higher than neck and middle. Thanks, and I'll leave you some good feedback in the trader forum."

Then we exchanged a series of messages that read as follows:

Ubermetaldood: "Cool. Glad to hear everything came through well. I love the sound of single coils, but I just don't use them very much. I have several strats with stock middle pickups and I've since completely disengaged them and changed to 3-way switches. I only leave them there so I don't have to buy new pick guards. Anyway, I might have two American Deluxe strats coming in. The new NS3 pickups are superb. They're better than the Sammarium Cobalt pickups that Fender used before. They're actually stacked so there's no hum. I'll be selling them though to convert the strats to an HH configuration so let me know if you're interested."

JollyRancher: "So the bridge pickup reads a resistance, but it 's not outputting any sound and I noticed one of the copper strands is loose."

Ubermetaldood: "Yeah that's happened to me before. You have to be real careful with those things because they're delicate. There are a couple of easy fixes. First, you can (very carefully) unwind the little wire one turn and resolder. The 2nd solution is to connect both ends with copper shielding. All you have to do is solder the ends of the strands to the copper shielding. Make sure the strand is taut. You don't want it to be loose."

JollyRancher: "No, it wasn't anything I did while installing them because the resistance is the same as when I pulled them out of the bubble wrap. Also, the strand isn't disconnected. It's just loose around the pickup kinda... but the last ends are still connected to the posts............ and I'm not sure what you mean about the copper shielding because there is none on these pickups."

JollyRancher: "OK I looked at it and the INSIDE (starting of the wind) strand is the one that broke at the soldering post. So, there's no way to fix it, since you can't pull it out or unwind one turn... It's dead. I'd appreciate either a refund of $25 or send me a bridge pickup from the other set.

Thanks "

Ubermetaldood: "Ok, I'll initiate a shipping claim. I'll need pictures of the outside and inside of the box and pictures of the damage to the pickup."

JollyRancher: "The box was fine from the shipper, and I threw it away. Let me ask you something since you did insure the pickups which are not worth very much... Did you know the pickup was dead and insure it so you could file a claim and get reimbursed? Because that's what it seems like to me, unless you just packaged them poorly. Honestly throwing them in a second hand piece of bubble wrap wasn't the smartest way to ship these. Honestly there is no way you can make out with the shipping insurance claim. They had no part in it. The box was fine. It's on you, buddy."

Ubermetaldood: "Hey, I packaged those pickups securely and with care as evidenced by the bubble wrap and peanuts used to fit it securely in the box. I inspected those pickups with scrutiny before I shipped them. YOU claim the box was fine yet you threw it away. You also stated the following after receiving them: "Yeah they took forever... Anyways, I just got them. They look good and I checked the resistances. Just FYI, The bridge is about 2.4k ohms higher than neck and middle. Thanks, and I'll leave you some good feedback in the trader forum."

You seemed to have inspected them carefully as you even went through the trouble of checking resistances. I find it odd that you would not have noticed a flaw to begin with. Your throwing away of the box indicates that you were satisfied with the condition of the pickups. By throwing away the box and not getting photo evidence of the packaging, you make it impossible for me to file a claim. I know they were in supreme condition and packaged meticulously, so either YOU messed it up when tinkering with it, or something happened during shipping.

You screwed up first by throwing the package away and not documenting the shipment. You screwed up again when you stated that the pickups were in good condition and that you would leave good feedback. You screwed up a third time by offending me with your stupid accusation, so it's ON YOU buddy. It's your problem so you deal with it. Don't even think about leaving negative feedback because A). You said in writing that you would leave positive feedback B). I have written documentation from you of our conversations.

You screwed up so deal with it like a man."

Comment

Clearly, JollyRancher is the one in the wrong here.

A.) I offered to make a shipping claim as I know for a fact the pickups were packaged securely. Either he screwed it up or it was damaged during shipping.
              B.) He inspected the pickups thoroughly and promised to leave good feedback which clearly indicates that the pickups arrived in good order.
              C.) He threw the packaging away which leaves no room for a claim because he failed to even show me the evidence. I still haven't even seen a picture of the damaged pickup.
              D.) When I tried to resolve the issue for him, he responded with a dirty accusation. He accused me of shipping 3 pickups with the foreknowledge that one of them was damaged in order to make a shipping claim later. First of all, that's a totally absurd accusation. Second, that's not the way to respond to someone when they're trying to resolve a trade problem.
              E.) Apparently the other pickups are perfectly fine. In fact, he claims a copper strand is "loose" - not broken. Therefore, the damage is minimal and could have easily been replaced or repaired if he had handled the deal appropriately.

He lost me when he started making stupid accusations. Since he threw away the box and has no evidence whatsoever that would indicate to me that he wasn't the one who screwed up the pickup, it's all on him now. I tried to help the guy out.

As you can see clearly from the written evidence, I handled the matter reliably and rationally. It was JollyRancher who made the mistakes, responded irrationally, and lied to you about what actually took place.
              Last edited by UberMetalDood; 02-10-2013, 10:52 PM.

Comment

UPDATE:

JollyRancher, you just got busted in a lie!

Today, Jolly Rancher filed this claim with Paypal:

"I am requesting a partial refund of $27.60 for 1/3 of the cost of the 3 pieces purchased because one of them doesn't work and is defective. I was assured that they were in functional, like-new condition, but there are visible burn marks, missing screws and hardware, and scratches on the pickup covers."

However, after initially receiving the items, JollyRancher sent me this message:

"Yeah they took forever... Anyways, I just got them. They look good and I checked the resistances. Just FYI, The bridge is about 2.4k ohms higher than neck and middle. Thanks, and I'll leave you some good feedback in the trader forum."

JollyRancher obviously contradicted his own statements. He has lied to me, lied to the forum, and lied to Paypal. He STILL has not provided ANY evidence, and anything he submits now is after the fact and contrived. He is not trustworthy and I recommend not doing any business with him in the future. JollyRancher - you are not an honorable trader.

Comment

I was trying to be nice to you and not nit-pick, but you dragged it down to this level. The fact is, and since you're being uncooperative and rude, that you didn't include the hardware and there was marks on the pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood
                    There you are lying again. LOL! It's so obvious that you're a filthy little liar, and everyone can see it now that I've posted the evidence. First of all, you were the one who "drug it down to this level" because you made that stupid accusation in the first place. I tried to help you and you went straight to that, then you posted your false claim on the forum. You never even gave me a chance to resolve the situation for you because you destroyed the evidence. Now you're sitting in your bed of filth and I'm going to leave you lying in it. I declined your Paypal claim, submitted my response, and we'll see how lucky you can get with your false claim liar boy. Good luck.
                    Just for the record, I'm not lying, but apparently you're so out of touch with reality that you can't understand what I mean... All you did was poorly package a set of pickups and then tell me to fix it when it arrived broken / sell me a partially working set of pickups. Get off your high horse and stop being such a mellow dramatic tool. And apparently you're so broke you can't handle resolving a $25-$28 dollar issue. That's pathetic.

Comment

You just keep reinforcing my reasons for leaving negative feedback. You are a true prick. You talk too much, and don't back up anything you say with the actions you're talking up. On top of that, you're projecting. If you don't understand what that means, look it up.

The pickup ohm'd out but the connection wasn't enough to pass the faint signal of magnetism through. I was wrong to think that one pickup was fine, but the fact is it isn't fine - it doesn't work. There was no grounds for filing a shipping insurance claim because the package wasn't damaged. The pickup winding just broke a hair, hence it not functioning. It's pretty easy to relate to poor packaging of single coil pickups, as others on the forum have already, but you continue going on and on looking like a fool... And go read the Good Trader thread because I already apologized for what wrongs I've done.

I was trying to be the nice guy all along, and you've made this deal impossible to resolve with your ridiculous responses and terrible forum etiquette. Above that, you've gone way over the top by beating your fallacious claims (which are essentially the same as the ones you're upset about me making in private message) into the ground, and showing everyone how miserable it is to deal with you if a problem arises with a purchase. I don't think you've done me or yourself a service in the entire time you've been typing all this BS out.
                      Last edited by Jolly_Rancher; 02-12-2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood
                        All of this time and all of your B.S. and still no pictures. Oh, don't bother with it now. Whatever you do now is after the fact. You seem to skim right over the facts that you inspected the pickups, that you threw away the box, and that you're making moronic assumptions. First of all, you accused me of knowingly shipping a faulty pickup in a plot ot obtain $80 from a shipping claim. LOL! What kind of imbecile makes an accusation like that? Furthermore, I don't need to swindle $80 from anyone since A.) I never shipped faulty items B.) I make a comfortable living from my profession C.) I have 3 freaking brand new Fender Stratocaster pickguards full of pickups just like that one D.) I own top of the line gear. Why you think that someone like me would possibly want to swindle the post office out of $25 is beyond reason.

Second, assuming that I told the truth and packed the box correctly, it would be logical to assume that A.) YOU damaged the pickup when tinkering with it B.) The item was damaged during shipping. I was being kind to you by assuming that it was a shipping claim.

Now, YOU CLAIM THE BOX WAS UNDAMAGED ETC... YET YOU HAVE NO PROOF OF ANYTHING WHATSOEVER... IT'S ALL YOUR B.S. AND NOTHING MORE.

GET THIS THROUGH YOUR THICK HEAD. IT'S NOTHING MORE THAN YOUR CLAIM WHICH IS BACKED UP BY ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - PLUS YOU ALREADY CONTRADICTED YOURSELF SEVERAL TIMES.

You don't seem to understand simple logic. That's because you're trying to hard to justify your lies that you ignore reason and logic. Give it up and stop carrying on this act of yours.
                        You clearly care about $25 enough to make this huge fuss over it, so why not $80?

You obviously don't know how to assess packaging because you think you packaged them properly.

If I broke the pickup from tinkering with it, then why do the 2 other pickups work still? And since when is touching the leads with a DMM probe tinkering?

Who in their inexperienced mind takes pics of a box's contents? That's just weird, unless you're expecting them to be broken, or see some physical damage.

I don't need to back up my claim, the pickup doesn't work. It's as simple as that. Your end of the deal was not met, and you just keep escalating the situation with your antics and poor manners.

Finally, it's not about being LOGICAL, it's about being a truthful, good person and trader. It's about looking past the small things. You just aren't a good person so you will never understand. You don't seem to understand that I'm not trying to justify anything other than getting what I paid for. Sure I could go dig in the trash and find the box, but am I that kind of person? No. I don't even care if I get the $25 or $27.60 back, but you should pay me back because you messed up. And then you messed up on this forum. Look at yourself and your business practices.

Now, go ahead and post the last text because it seems to make you feel better...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fry.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	5764975.

Comment

I've done trades with Jolly_Rancher before that went just fine, just sayin'.

Comment

I realize that this recent debate has moved beyond the practical and become a matter or principal for both sides, but FWIW, it's a three-to-five minute fix on that pickup. I know the end that broken is the starting end, but you can usually pull some slack out anyhow, if you are not coming at it like a gorilla. You just pull some out and add a short extension, just like a humbucker coil.

My two cents: It's time to quit fighting about it. Realize that things got unnecesarily heated, and back off an make good with each other. There is no way to prove when the damage occured, and it is likely an accident in either case. UMD could have missed the damage before shipping. The USPS could have shaken up the package a bit. Jolly Rancher could have broken it without even noticing. But there is no way to know, so there is no way to assign fault. UMD doesn't owe anyone anything, and I would have reacted the same way, if not worse, if someone had accused me of commiting fraud. Neither of you can get anything from the USPS because the box is gone (lesson learned). And as far as bringing balance to the universe (i.e. making it so that Jolly Rancher gets what he paid for), Jolly Rancher can fix the pickup himself with zero cost and five minutes of labor, max. This is an easy situation to resolve if you step back and realize that the goal should be practical, not one of principal; the goal is to have three working pickups for the price paid, not to bring fairness and justice to the universe. It doesn't warrant any mud slinging in either direction.

Now I will step back and get hassled for trying to help.
                              Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-12-2013, 05:18 PM.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Nicely put Itsabass.

Comment

Working...
                                X