Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to Spice Up A Christian Rock Set

Originally posted by Arizona View Post
    Thanks for your input mate. Really appreciate your effort.
    Thank you, I will cherish this comment until the end of my days. Thumbs up for you too, not every has the courage to put out such a controversial approach to worship music.

Comment

I do add lead fills a lot of times - always tasteful (I hope) - that are often clean or with a tad of dirt.

Last decade, 2004 or 5, we did Agnus Dei ala Third Day, and the worship leader wanted more drive out of my HB equipped guitar. I had a Boss GT series and he wasn't happy until I had a model of a Mesa Mark series amp with the drive way up.

Lucky me.

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
        So I'm a decent guitar player and can play most tabs I can find online. More to the point I've joined my church band and all their songs are basically designed for one guy to both sing and do acoustic.

What I was wondering is how exactly can I add to the songs rather than just playing the songs off of the chord sheet. I guess I could also use a healthy dose of music theory so I can better play scales over top of chords that are being played.

Here's the set so you know what I'm talking about:

Lion Of Judah
        Burn Like A Star
        God's Not Dead
        Forever Reign
        Living Hope
        Corner Stone
        Like A Lion
        My Victory
        Death Was Arrested

Again, all I'm doing currently is playing the exact same chord pattern for each song with the chords written on the sheet. I would prefer a multi-paragraph lecture, but any little bit helps.
        It takes time to learn how to do all this. You want to learn how to play tasty fills while others are not singing - in the spaces between the lines in both verses and choruses.

Listen to the kind of music you want to emulate, and learn from that.

If you are new to lead playing, go to TrueFire.com and get some lessons that teach about learning lead stuff. Videos by Jeff McErlaine and Robbie Calvo are great for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          What the band can do is pretty simple. Add drums, add bass, add lead guitar arpeggios or backup melodies, add keys. All of this can be created with just knowledge of the chords and care for the melody.

If you're asking what you can do: Try by starting just learning the melody on the guitar. After you have that, just improvise with the melody and the major scale of the key you're in. After that play the arpeggios to the chords and try to make up little accompaniment passages.

I can go into more detail about the specifics of chords and scales if you have specific questions. You might wanna post the lead sheets to a tune or 2 that you're working on and we can break it down.
          This is great advice, especially the second paragraph.

Comment

This is a great example where the lead guitar part is isolated.

I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

One last clip and I'll get out of the way. If you don't want to listen to the whole song just skip to 4:56 where the electric guitar supports a build-up with very melodic lines with somewhat repetitive phrasing, and then with some tasteful yet understated flash provides a transition to the end starting around 5:44.

I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Bring Satanists in spiked leather bikinis

Insta-spice guaranteed
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                X