stripping a 1981 gibson flying v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: stripping a 1981 gibson flying v

I totally appreciate the effort you're putting into that, at the same time as I would sort of want an HSS (or SSS) V with a Kahler (and perhaps get more use out of one that way.) I wouldn't start with an old Gibson or mutilate any other guitar to that end, granted.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      I did it for the client who owned it... You got a problem?
      You butchered that thing? Yes...

I’d have turned the guy away.
      Last edited by formula73; 10-03-2018, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I have been meaning to ask: Why was it routed out so far out around the Kahler hole?

Also, it looks like a pickguard might totally cover the swimming pool rout. If it does, might as well not bother filling it IMO. Just put a narrow piece of wood in around the neck joint to support the front of the guard. And maybe just slap in a narrow pickguard support in the middle, if it's even needed to prevent the guard from bowing into the hole under the weight of the humbuckers.
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 10-03-2018, 07:53 PM.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Pickguard would almost cover it all. Almost. Mostly, this is just a real thin body. I'd be sketched out without having some more wood in there, even if I am going to route out a bunch of it for H/H setup. It will for sure be far from perfect but I'll do my best to hide it.

I'm having fun doing it so that's good. Man, challenging stuff all around.

Comment

You butchered that thing? Yes... I’d have turned the guy away.
            OK, here's the deal AGAIN.

Guitar was first owned by a local pro player who routed it for a middle humbucker - thus yielding a triple pickup Vee. When he traded it for a Les Paul locally, my client purchased it. I was the local Gibson and Fender authorized repair guy in town at the time, and I did all his work - BTW, he was a touring pro for 20 years.

Anyway - for awhile I returned it to the 2 pickup configuration. Then the client wanted the Kahler added. The routing was not oversize - Blake routed it square to make it easier to fill with a square block. Do you understand so far? Later, I filled the pickup holes with new wood, and routed it out for a 3 pickup Strat setup - H/S/S..., which was how it was delivered to the current owner. What you can't see is it was also routed for a Strat jack cup down on the lower wing.

It was played for DECADES by a guy who recorded and played live all over the Midwest. It wasn't butchered. It was USED. It played music. It's not a holy thing. It's a ****ing guitar, and it has years of music yet to play. I have every bit of faith in Blake to configure it how he wants, and then he will play the hell out of it.

So if you don't like it, TOUGH ****. We all do want we want with our stuff, and we don't have to consult your ass first - GOT IT?

Also, I have urged Blake to fill the body however he sees fit, and then laminate a thin veneer over the top so it's all clean paper again, so to speak. But he can do it nice, or crappy - and he doesn't have to take my advice, and I'm cool with it. All I want is for him to enjoy it!

And the previous owner has given his blessing to Blake, with the proviso that he plays it and loves it. Which I'm sure he will.

I'm done now.
            Last edited by ICTGoober; 10-03-2018, 10:55 PM.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Here's a pic of "Victor" back in the day... Along with the SG the original owner still plays (and I still maintain after 40 years).
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Skot Reed - Max & Victor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	5809950
              Last edited by ICTGoober; 10-04-2018, 07:58 AM.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Attachment don't work
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
                  Makes sense. I'm looking for guidance from anyone who's attempted their own silverburst and what specific paint colors they used.
                  A bit late to this question, but I have a silverburst Tele which I did with mixing my own......specifically adding silver sparkle powder to clear, then with a black mix around the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                    OK, here's the deal AGAIN.

Guitar was first owned by a local pro player who routed it for a middle humbucker - thus yielding a triple pickup Vee. When he traded it for a Les Paul locally, my client purchased it. I was the local Gibson and Fender authorized repair guy in town at the time, and I did all his work - BTW, he was a touring pro for 20 years.

Anyway - for awhile I returned it to the 2 pickup configuration. Then the client wanted the Kahler added. The routing was not oversize - Blake routed it square to make it easier to fill with a square block. Do you understand so far? Later, I filled the pickup holes with new wood, and routed it out for a 3 pickup Strat setup - H/S/S..., which was how it was delivered to the current owner. What you can't see is it was also routed for a Strat jack cup down on the lower wing.

It was played for DECADES by a guy who recorded and played live all over the Midwest. It wasn't butchered. It was USED. It played music. It's not a holy thing. It's a ****ing guitar, and it has years of music yet to play. I have every bit of faith in Blake to configure it how he wants, and then he will play the hell out of it.

So if you don't like it, TOUGH ****. We all do want we want with our stuff, and we don't have to consult your ass first - GOT IT?

Also, I have urged Blake to fill the body however he sees fit, and then laminate a thin veneer over the top so it's all clean paper again, so to speak. But he can do it nice, or crappy - and he doesn't have to take my advice, and I'm cool with it. All I want is for him to enjoy it!

And the previous owner has given his blessing to Blake, with the proviso that he plays it and loves it. Which I'm sure he will.

I'm done now.
                    Whatever lets you sleep at night.

Just as you don’t need my permission to butcher a guitar, I am ALSO free to call it a pile of crap if I see fit. GOT IT? Idgaf who you are or who he is, you ****ed that thing up and I think you ought to be ashamed.
                    Last edited by formula73; 10-04-2018, 03:00 AM.

Comment

internet tough guys!

Comment

Hmm. After seeing the pic I sort of really liked it HSS/Kahler. But as someone who is restoring/has restored a couple old guitars (Mustang and now G&L,) I totally get taking it back nearer to stock.

Did you keep the Kahler?
                        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I'm actually debating a H/H/H setup just cuz. No more kahler for me but I am putting on a short vibrola.

Comment

Just wondering if you still have a Kahler to sell

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
                              I'm actually debating a H/H/H setup just cuz. No more kahler for me but I am putting on a short vibrola.
                              Might as well. I’ve had a couple HHH guitars and they look boss af but the middle pickup bothers my picking.

Comment

my only concern is how to wire 3 pickups in a way that makes sense and not a lot of space

Comment

Working...
                                X