• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

Originally posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
    What type of player are you mate? Genre I mean
    Sorry, didn't see your reply until now.

Hard Rock / Metal. 70's 80's early 90's. I've had pedals from the late 80s (TS-10) but very rarely used them. Always been guitar > amp. Now having a little fun and quickly building up a collection.

TS-10 (George Lynch)
    DS-1 (unsure if I like this)
    MT-2 (like this)
    HM-3 (like this)
    RV-5 (from what I read, this is the most unliked of RV's, but I put it into the loop of my AOR 50 and it sounded good to me)
    Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl MkII (to get a Maiden tone)
    MXR-10 (great in the loop of the Marshall 3203)
    Boss EQ-20 (still messing with)

I think I may want to get a pair of SD-1's to try for a Criss Olivia tone. I need a delay, and maybe another reverb pedal. But if I spy an ML-2 cheap, I'll scoop it up.

Comment

Looks like the MT-2 bug is starting to make the rounds on YouTube.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I'm a defender of the MT-2. It's not for everyone, but it does what it's made for just fine. Just like every other aspect of one's sound, it has to be ajusted with one's ears, not eyes. And it's not for classic rock or NWOBHM. It's for thrash, speed and death metal.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Same here. I can take the MT-2, pump it into a Kalamazoo Model 1 (5 watts, 12AX7, EL84, and a 6X4 tube rectifier, 10" CTS ceramic speaker) and get a pretty pumping thrash tone at a low volume level. The tubes all round off the edgyness / fussiness of the pedal, and the pedal finds thump in an amp which should have no thump.

Comment

But don't forget, some of us like that edginess.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

That's an awesome tone the CSG guy gets going into the return!

IMO a big part of the pedal's bad rep has less to do with where it's placed in the chain and more to do with a few key points;

1. How many guys really ran this into good amps to begin with? Whenever I see one of these on craigslist(just for example) it's always sitting next to a dirt cheap open back 1x8 combo. Good amp, good speakers and a closed-back cab really does a lot for making it "usable".

2. I usually would see guys plug this into the front, but instead of starting with their amp's knobs near neutral and then using the pedal to calibrate they would leave the amp knobs in a general V-carve with boosted highs and lows (scooped mids). No wonder it's known for being mushy lows fizzy highs and scooped.

3. Beginners are beginners, and the metalzone was by and large used by them. Beginners have trouble dialing tones period. Don't even give a beginner a Mesa! (because they're soooooo hard to dial-in lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
                I found that is actually is a very good distortion, for practicing alone. I had one at one time, specifically to sound more like my Triple Rectifier but in my room at home. It did great. I decided to try it with the band the next time we practiced and my guitar disappeared. Everything was mush. Granted, I never intended to really use it for that purpose, I was just curious. And I did not run it as a preamp as many have said here, only in front of the clean channel. Perhaps I would have had a different experience.
                Not cutting thru the mix then...have you tried opening up the mid range some?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  Sorry, didn't see your reply until now.

Hard Rock / Metal. 70's 80's early 90's. I've had pedals from the late 80s (TS-10) but very rarely used them. Always been guitar > amp. Now having a little fun and quickly building up a collection.

TS-10 (George Lynch)
                  DS-1 (unsure if I like this)
                  MT-2 (like this)
                  HM-3 (like this)
                  RV-5 (from what I read, this is the most unliked of RV's, but I put it into the loop of my AOR 50 and it sounded good to me)
                  Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl MkII (to get a Maiden tone)
                  MXR-10 (great in the loop of the Marshall 3203)
                  Boss EQ-20 (still messing with)

I think I may want to get a pair of SD-1's to try for a Criss Olivia tone. I need a delay, and maybe another reverb pedal. But if I spy an ML-2 cheap, I'll scoop it up.
                  Much like me except my style reaches into the 2000's (modern) as well. I also play 7 string guitar in addition to the 6 shooter. Thanks for this list because I've learned about pedals I never knew existed! Really wanna check out the Lynch TS-10, Chase Bliss (I'm a huge Maiden fan) and HM3. I too am a purist as stated in my OP - guitar > amp and dial in from there. Use a booster - TS, Zoom Power Drive or my possibly favourite ever drive pedal Ibanez Jemini at times to kick the front (left side of pedal which is more like a TS9) end a bit harder usually in clean boost fashion since my amp/s are high enough gain already. I generally don't boost the front end at all if I use one of my higher power active axes (Ibanez RGR08 with Blackout or limited edition MIJ RG470FM with Mustaine's LW's).

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                    That's an awesome tone the CSG guy gets going into the return!

IMO a big part of the pedal's bad rep has less to do with where it's placed in the chain and more to do with a few key points;

1. How many guys really ran this into good amps to begin with? Whenever I see one of these on craigslist(just for example) it's always sitting next to a dirt cheap open back 1x8 combo. Good amp, good speakers and a closed-back cab really does a lot for making it "usable".

2. I usually would see guys plug this into the front, but instead of starting with their amp's knobs near neutral and then using the pedal to calibrate they would leave the amp knobs in a general V-carve with boosted highs and lows (scooped mids). No wonder it's known for being mushy lows fizzy highs and scooped.

3. Beginners are beginners, and the metalzone was by and large used by them. Beginners have trouble dialing tones period. Don't even give a beginner a Mesa! (because they're soooooo hard to dial-in lol)
                    Granted I haven't had personal experience with the MT2 but the stereotypes around it have left me considering the same variables as you mentioned above. That being said I don't see myself getting one even for the fun of it since I have the ML2 now. If a friend has one then I'd borrow it to give it a try on my rig. Beginners be like - plugging into cheap solid state amps and on top of that dialling them in all wrong lol...

Comment

If I had one and not the other I wouldn't trade for the one I didn't have no matter which one I already had. lol

ML-2 has a bit more tooth on the highs and pop on the lows like the HM-3, like there's a slightly stronger or cleaner fundamental under the distortion/fuzz.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                        If I had one and not the other I wouldn't trade for the one I didn't have no matter which one I already had. lol

ML-2 has a bit more tooth on the highs and pop on the lows like the HM-3, like there's a slightly stronger or cleaner fundamental under the distortion/fuzz.
                        And that's what sets them apart so already I can see myself sticking with the ML2 if it comes down to a choice.

Comment

Boss MD-2 relisted on Reverb $70

Dove has wings of buzzard
                          And buzzard, of dove

I was there when it happened, so I guess I oughta know.

Comment

Originally posted by texred View Post
                            Boss MD-2 relisted on Reverb $70
                            "Bottom heavy distortion for nu school metal and pushes it to the extreme" is the description. I wonder what it's like in practice. Mesa Dual Rec style tone?
                            Last edited by RolanTHUNDER; 09-19-2018, 01:23 AM. Reason: Missing word

Comment

MD-2 can be had for next to nothing used. It's not a lot different than the other main Boss distortions. The gain-boost thickens the mids but can also make it a bit sloppy in the lows compared to the others. IMO it's NOT the one to pick for the 7/8-strings, but then again that has a lot to do with string tension also.

Comment

I picked up an ML-2 today and like the tone. Unfortunately the "Check" LED is on all the time. Anyone know if this is an easy fix?

Comment

Working...
                                X