Neo Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neo Speakers

Not having ever used neo speakers, can they compare well with alnico or ceramic? The weight reduction certainly seems tempting.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Re: Neo Speakers

i really like them for bass, i have a pair of eminence ch2010 neo 10" speakers that are great. my initial introduction to neo guitar speakers was less satisfying but some more recent models seem much better. heard a emin wheelhouse 150 (or something like that) and it sounded great!

Comment

I have a jazz client who loves them, and he's a very picky guy when it comes to speaker sound. And let's face it, George Benson could have any speakers he wanted in his signature Twin, and he picked neodymium speakers. That GB Twin is terrific sounding.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

im sure george had something to do with speaker choice, but those jensens wouldnt have been in my top 5

Comment

Long time no see...

Last year I tested a custom 1x12 with a G12 Century Vintage and I have to admit it completely destroyed my prejudice against neo speakers. Contrary to my bias, it immediately turned out to deliver a warm and balanced sound at the lowest volume levels. As you can tell from the spec sheet, this is a quiet speaker. What you can't tell but probably want to know, is that it did not exhibit even a trace of unpleasant stiffness when underdriven this way. In other words, the motor did not stick at all around the zero deflection point. Don't ask me about the other end - I have no idea how this would behave at break-up.

Tone wise, it is way closer to a G12-65 or Greenback than it is to the peakiness of V30s, T-75 or CL80s. I think you would like it a lot for your applications.

Comment

I am actually looking at neo replacements for a Celestion Seventy 80 currently in the amp. They are not known as a great sounding speaker, but I was hoping for a lighter neo one that might actually sound better.

Comment

I've used Weber, Eminence (Tonkerlite) and the Jensen Neo that comes in the new Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. My sense is they're all okay ... not great, not bad. Certainly average or above. The weight factor is nice. I am still a little skeptical of the Jensen Neo in the Tone Master, as I worry they might be in there because they're the cheapest option. Not sure of that, just a concern.
              ___
              T.B.
              Raiford, Fla

Comment

i usually dont love the modern jensen speakers, although i do like a beat up p10q that ive had for a decade. havent tried the weber neos but ive liked other webers ive tried

Comment

Okay, I talked to my jazz guy and he said.....

"Fender uses Jensens in many amps (their Tornados are great), so it stands to reason they'd use Jensen neo's. Maybe have a purchasing agreement (but we don't care). I've used alnico, ceramic, and neos and there are good ones in all varieties. I am using 2 Jensen Tornados with a 100w Ampeg head for most gigging. I have a Century Vintage 30 in a single cab, too - sometimes my Ampeg head, sometimes my Hiwatt head. The weight reduction is very noticeable (and I'm no spring chicken), and I had to change tone control settings a miniscule amount after installing the neos. Tone is so subjective, I recommend trying several before deciding. I used some 12" Eminence neo bass speakers (Deltalite 2512) for guitar, and really liked them! They have a full, smooth tone - great for comping or solos. No scratchy treble sounds for crunchy rock, though. A neo Century Vintage 30 is better for rock'n'roll. That said - my favorite all-time speaker is the EVM 15L, which weighs over 25 pounds. So contrast all this variety of speaker performance, and consider you might lose 5dB or so with some combos. Don't be afraid to experiment."

Comment

Speakers are one of those things that it is tough to experiment with. You can order them and then send them back, but you can only do that so much. And you wont really hear the tone of the speaker until it has quite a few hours on them. I love the idea of good or better tone than I have at 20% of the weight, though.

Comment

Don't Quilter amps use neos?

Comment

I think that a neo speaker with a thin strong cone, like hemp, should sound fantastic. Sensitivity along with the field density to really move the voice coil. What more could you want?

Comment

I tried an Eminence Tonker and a Tonkerlite in my amp, back-to-back. The Tonker weighs about a million pounds, the Tonkerlite was so light it felt like they shipped me an empty box.

They did not sound the same. The neo version had less bass and a slightly more harsh tone. But I actually preferred it for rock. And the weight difference was INCREDIBLE.

That Celestion looks very interesting...

Comment

Dave, when the Neo sounded harsh, how long had it been broken in for?

Comment

Do they make hemp neos?

Comment

Working...
                              X